News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Carter pump, high pressure at idle.

Started by INTMD8, April 22, 2019, 08:07:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

INTMD8

Doing some tuning on my car so temporarily installed a wideband and fuel pressure gauge.

Idle fuel pressure pegs my 10psi pressure gauge.  Not sure how it isn't overpowering the needle/seat in the edelbrock carbs but seems to be fine.

Also found pressure drops to 1psi at 6500 but I found the tank vent is just blocked so going to start there first.

I've not yet checked for a pump part number but my question is, do most usually run a fuel pressure regulator with these to keep idle pressure down? Currently just have a 3/8 feed line to pump, no return line.

Thanks.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

John_Kunkel

Mechanical pump or electric? I had a Carter Performance mechanical pump that put out 13 psi, even changing the spring in the pump only lowered it to 10 psi. Wound up installing a regulator.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

INTMD8

It's a mechanical pump.  

Sounds like I'll be doing the same, thanks.

Probably overkill but instead of ordering a 5/16 return line I'm just going to install a 1/2" feed line (it already has a 1/2" sending unit), install regulator and use the current 3/8 feed as a return.

BSB67

Quote from: INTMD8 on April 22, 2019, 02:24:19 PM
It's a mechanical pump.  

Sounds like I'll be doing the same, thanks.

Probably overkill but instead of ordering a 5/16 return line I'm just going to install a 1/2" feed line (it already has a 1/2" sending unit), install regulator and use the current 3/8 feed as a return.

Double check your gauge.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

INTMD8

Yes I have a Snap on gauge I'll throw on it to compare.  I was checking it with my vacuum gauge which also has 0-10psi section. 

Drove it last night and cold it pegged the gauge but after it was hot held a steady 6.5psi.  :shruggy:

TexasStroker

Those gauges are notoriously bad...Granted I am assuming you are talking about a small, mechanical gauge and not an electric gauge getting info from a sensor.

I would run a regulator as I've seen Carter over deliver as well...not a bad thing, just needs to be dialed back.

I think the last brand of fuel pressure gauge I picked up was from Fuel Lab...haven't gotten to try it out yet.

Good luck getting it all sorted out...hopefully you have good luck with your gauge.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!