News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Do you ever think about how different it is to drive our cars vs new cars?

Started by green69rt, August 07, 2018, 11:44:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lennard

Quote from: alfaitalia on August 25, 2018, 02:12:20 AM
It's not so much that...there are politics involved. You have higher reserves, better access to other reserves due to trade agreements and don't mind starting wars to keep it that way. The base price of the fuel in the UK is not that far from you....but the tax here is massive....not just to discourage its use for environmental reasons (which it does....just look at the number of small cars here) but also because we pay the full cost of motoring here. Over there the taxes drivers pay don't cover the real cost of motoring (building and repairing roads and bridges etc) whereas over here it easily covers is with some left over to go towards our health service etc. Different strokes etc.....

...anyway ball on topic!

::) Your ignorance is showing... again.

alfaitalia

I think that's all pretty factual as far as I could research.....what parts do you disagree with.....out of interest? Just because you are in the states it does not make your "opinions" any more valid than mine as much as you seem to think it does!! The costs of driving part was got from a US gov website stating that's drivers paid about 20% of the total roads bill with the rest coming from general taxation. The war part from another US site where in a survey 65% of Americans believed that fuel was the "main reason" for the war as there were no WMDs (as both our Governments new all along!). And we (in the UK) do pay a fortune for our driving.....not just fuel but insurance, road tax and the cars themselves. Not trying to start a political argument....just trying to say why driving is so much cheaper over there.:shruggy:

Because of you cheap fuel people have, on average, bought far bigger engines over there (you might be on the road all day here and not see a V8)......I imagine that if you suddenly had a fuel price increase to Euro type prices you would suddenly have lots of worthless cars that no one wants or could afford to run....like we did over here after the fuel crisis in the 70s when big engines went.....never to return! That of course would be a massive problem for your country folk in such a massive country. So it would be political suicide for any leader brave enough to make that decision in the US as much as the rest of the world might like you to for "environmental reasons!"! Small engines over here now are more driven by the green lobby...even if you can afford the fuel the road tax will cripple you. Having a son these days and wanting to have habitable planet to leave him I can see the good and bad in that. MY engine has just been dynoed at 1123 horses......so it would be hypocritical  of me to say small cars will save the earth even if my DD is a 2.0 diesel Alfa.....but I might do 2000 miles a year in the Charger so that's OK!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

cdr

Quote from: Lennard on August 25, 2018, 05:40:27 AM
Quote from: alfaitalia on August 25, 2018, 02:12:20 AM
It's not so much that...there are politics involved. You have higher reserves, better access to other reserves due to trade agreements and don't mind starting wars to keep it that way. The base price of the fuel in the UK is not that far from you....but the tax here is massive....not just to discourage its use for environmental reasons (which it does....just look at the number of small cars here) but also because we pay the full cost of motoring here. Over there the taxes drivers pay don't cover the real cost of motoring (building and repairing roads and bridges etc) whereas over here it easily covers is with some left over to go towards our health service etc. Different strokes etc.....

...anyway ball on topic!

::) Your ignorance is showing... again.

again & again & again , think I'll go start a war LMBO  :slap:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

alfaitalia

Ok....you guys just win.....im just an ignorant Brit who knows nothing!! Its the American way and point of view or don't bother on this forum! (apart from the few supporting emails I get from people who don't want there views shot down by their fellow country men every time I mention guns or politics!!!).......enjoy life gents......and your new President.....due anytime now I would guess!! Maybe you will find one that's not a racist, sexist, bigoted liar next time!!! LOL. Over and out!!

We really should get back on topic before this thread gets locked..........................

Lennard

Quote from: alfaitalia on August 25, 2018, 10:14:52 AM
Ok....you guys just win.....im just an ignorant Brit who knows nothing!! Its the American way and point of view or don't bother on this forum! (apart from the few supporting emails I get from people who don't want there views shot down by their fellow country men every time I mention guns or politics!!!).......enjoy life gents......and your new President.....due anytime now I would guess!! Maybe you will find one that's not a racist, sexist, bigoted liar next time!!! LOL. Over and out!!

We really should get back on topic before this thread gets locked..........................
Thanks for proving my point... again.  :thumbs:

Mike DC

QuoteThanks for proving my point... again.  thumbs

Unpopular opinions are not proof of ignorance.  

Lennard

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 25, 2018, 04:43:27 PM

QuoteThanks for proving my point... again.  thumbs

Unpopular opinions are not proof of ignorance.  
That's just your opinion.
He talks shit about the USA every chance he gets. This is a USA based forum about a USA built car and with 99.9% USA based members.
Love it, keep your degrading comments for yourself... or leave it.

If I would talk shit about that 137 year old woman that's ruling his country on the United Kingdom based Mopar Muscle Association forum, I would get banned for life in a split second.

alfaitalia

Did you read that post before you published it!!? What a load of crap. I don't talk shit about the USA and have no problem with your country ......what you don't like is others disagreeing with YOUR opinion of the USA.....lots of other member don't agree with you either......I've have a few emails to prove it!!. And no you would not get banned from MMA....we have  proper freedom of speech over here where everyone or every religion/colour/belief can have there own say....we might not agree....but don't call them ignorant!! Oh and by the way brains our "137 year old woman" PM is actually 11 years YOUNGER than Trump 61 against 72. :nana: And she's doesn't rule our country she governs it....the Queen rules and has final says on our laws.....even if its just a symbolic position these days.

How about arguing like a grown up by putting down facts and opinions based on research and reasoning rather that just name calling like a 9 year old.. Anyway I really am done now. Can we get back on topic....please!

Mike DC

QuoteIf I would talk shit about that 137 year old woman that's ruling his country on the United Kingdom based Mopar Muscle Association forum, I would get banned for life in a split second.

Would you?  

It's possible but I wouldn't assume it.  A number of people would come down on both sides of that question.    

dual fours

My '70 Charger is like a Roller Coaster ride compared to my other vehicles. One small and fast is a '12 rice burner, one lumbering and heavy is a '06 F250 service body and the last is a slow and surefooted '74 CJ-5 goes by the name of Pack Mule. I have never driven a '18 model year vehicle yet. If I had to be in an accident, I'd want to be in the F250. If I'd want to go fast and quickly move though traffic it would be the Ricer. If I'd want to cross the country on unpaved roads rocks/water/dirt it would be the CJ. If I wanted to arrive deaf and when I exited the vehicle and still feel like I'm vibrating, that would be the Charger. With a new car I'd be thinking, I'm sitting in my living room. With our '70's era cars (un-modified/factory built for handling) you have to drive the creatures.  I wonder if the 18 year old drivers of today really could handle the ''classic muscle car'' as they are called today and drive them like some of us did back then...and survive? I know I could not drive a new car today like I drove in the late '70's. The reflex's isn't what they use to be, and the times and people have changed out on the roads.
Edit; It's the eyes and ears not what they use to be, the reflex are still good.    
1970 Dodge Charger SE, 383 Magnum, dual fours, Winter's shifter and racing transmission.

26 END
J25 L31 M21 M31 N85 R22
VX1 AO1 A31 A47 C16 C55
FK5 CRXA TX9 A15
E63 D32 XP29 NOG

JB400

G-man

Who cares if this websites based in USA, terrorists are as well.  :slap:

But back on topic, if you think things through... you spend $30,000+ on a Dodge Charger to get what?

A car, thats possibly got rust in it, that does not handle, that can stop working on you any time without warning.

On the other hand, the same $30,000+ can buy you a very nice 4x4. No rust, reliable, will last you for 20+ years without any drama (200,000+ Miles) and on top of that, you can go off-roading, travel the country and do everything the charger can't.

Makes you wonder what justification can even be employed to purchasing a charger for these exorbitant prices. You pay through the nose to get a car with problems   :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Only thing the charger has going for it is the fact it looks awesome and thats the only reason you wan't it... just like a hot looking chick, unreliable and gonna cost.

b5blue

My 70 looked pretty crappy after 8 years of drag racing 23 years ago but I bought it anyway. Patched and repaired as needed it worked as my "construction truck" for about 7 years when the 440 gave up. Stored away while my 3 kids and I carried on after the divorce it was never allowed to degrade. When my son started collage the 440 was overhauled and the car back on the road so I could give my son the family beater.
  B Body cars are as tough as any truck made and infinitely repairable. I call you out on "may stop working at any time"....that is shade on you not the car. My Charger is and has been my main ride. Built as a car not a racer it's reliable, comfortable and safe.  :2thumbs:   

John_Kunkel

Quote from: G-man on August 27, 2018, 05:34:52 AM
Who cares if this websites based in USA, terrorists are as well.  :slap:But back on topic, if you think things through... you spend $30,000+ on a Dodge Charger to get what?

A car, thats possibly got rust in it, that does not handle, that can stop working on you any time without warning.

On the other hand, the same $30,000+ can buy you a very nice 4x4. No rust, reliable, will last you for 20+ years without any drama (200,000+ Miles) and on top of that, you can go off-roading, travel the country and do everything the charger can't.

Makes you wonder what justification can even be employed to purchasing a charger for these exorbitant prices. You pay through the nose to get a car with problems   :icon_smile_dissapprove:

Only thing the charger has going for it is the fact it looks awesome and thats the only reason you wan't it... just like a hot looking chick, unreliable and gonna cost.

For once, I'm at a loss for words. Did you compose that in the throes of a wet dream?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

GreenMachine

So..... to recap after reviewing all the posts on this thread, a lot of classic Charger owners are just in it for either (a) an investment, or (b) suffer from small penis syndrome, and do not enjoy driving their classic Charger??????
If it ain't broke, fix it 'till it is.

Kern Dog

Quote from: GreenMachine on August 30, 2018, 12:11:17 PM
So..... to recap after reviewing all the posts on this thread, a lot of classic Charger owners ...... suffer from small penis syndrome.......

My mom always said that I was a good size for a boy my age. 

figgy308

To try to answer the question, sure the Charger is noisier, less comfortable and way less fuel efficient than my modern (and 4 drums vs 4 discs), but I think the major difference is that the steering wheel is on the other side of the car and that is the greater challenge :)

captaindodge

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on August 11, 2018, 06:07:40 PM
QuoteThe biggest comparison I make when I drive my car now is, I REALLY miss rack and pinion steering, like almost any other late model car has.

I've done a ton of suspension and chassis updates, and don't really miss anything there, but 50 year old steering boxes absolutely suck.

Mine is in good condition with no leaks or anything, I accept that's just how they were, but it's the worst part of driving a vintage Mopar to me. By far.

I may upgrade to a borgenson one day, but the reliability of them seems to be lacking. I would love a bolt on rack and pinion upgrade, but it seems like the only aftermarket attempt at one was terrible.

I really don't have any other complaints driving it vs. new cars though. Except for the no overdrive thing.

Have you added a few degrees of front end caster (aftermarket UCAs or offset bushings) in the alignment? 

That is what makes the steering pull itself back to center when you let go of the wheel while you're rolling.  It's not the steering gearbox itself. 

:2thumbs: Mike DC is exactly right about the caster. Max it and make sure it is exactly the same left and right and you won't even be able to tell if there is any play. :rofl: