News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

OEM undercoating removal

Started by hemi68charger, April 26, 2019, 09:34:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hello All,

I probably already know the answer, but I'm looking for other experiences in removing the undercoating that comes with the sound deadening option on the floor plans on our mopars. I'm getting ready to initiate the paint and body for my recently purchased Charger 500..

There's the old tried and true propane torch and putty knife...

also found this..

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/2011/06/24/quick-and-less-dirty-undercoating-removal/
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

CDN72SE

Did the old torch and putty on my fully undercoated 72, took a few hours. Some pieces came off in chunks.

1972 Charger SE

hemi68charger

Quote from: CDN72SE on April 26, 2019, 12:29:02 PM
Did the old torch and putty on my fully undercoated 72, took a few hours. Some pieces came off in chunks.

That looks great...
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

kent

And when it's all done you will end with a pile about this much. About a 5 gallon bucket full of under coat. Took me about 12 hours total time. I'll tell you one scraper you won't find in the tool box. I used one of the wife's table spoons to scrape in the rear wheel wells. It seemed to have the right contour. When you start you will see what I mean. A wire brush helped also along with some 3-m scratch pads for the final wipe.
Kent

E5 Charger

I used a heat gun and putty knife. Seem to work just as well as a torch. I think I could control the heat better with the heat gun. You have to love how the undercoating protected the metal. Most of mine was clean metal under the undercoating, except where the undercoating was lifting.

chargerbr549

gtx6970

Ive done a couple of them this way after trying a hot water pressure washer ( didn't work worth a hoot ) Both I id the car was on a rotisserie so I wasn't laying on my back on a cold floor makes a HUGE difference btw  .

A cheap propane torch, one of them with a button start makes life a little easier and a 1.5' metal putty knife  works best ( I like the spoon  idea for tight areas )

FYI, it doesn't take much heat to lift the undercoating so there's virtually no issues to worry about warping panels.