News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How hard is it to remove/reattach the wing on a Superbird

Started by RammJaeger, April 28, 2019, 06:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RammJaeger

I've got a couple of situations where I'd like to remove the wing for my Superbird and then put it back on. The first situation is when I put the car on the lift to work on it in my home garage. The wing prevents me from being able to raise it up all the way, which makes it hard to work under it.

The second situation is when putting the car in a covered trailer. Some covered trailers have issues fitting the wing in, including the one I really want to purchase.

So how hard is it to take the wing off and put it back on? Is it something that is a really pain in the butt? Also, does anyone make a "quick release" sort of mechanism to make it easy to remove/reattach?

70 sublime

And how nice is your paint ??
I would not think it would be a very good idea to do very often

Some place on here there is a picture of a wing car on a lift and the owner made a hole up higher in the ceiling just for the wing
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

DAY CLONA

Quote from: RammJaeger on April 28, 2019, 06:59:29 PM

The second situation is when putting the car in a covered trailer. Some covered trailers have issues fitting the wing in, including the one I really want to purchase.

Yeah you might be stuck with the garage/lift scenario, but why would one contemplate buying a trailer for a car that it don't fit?.... :scratchchin:

RammJaeger

Because I want one of these trailers:

https://www.bre2.net/aerovault.info/

They are super lightweight and I can tow them and any of my cars with our Durango R/T.

The lift is the larger concern though.

62 Max

Quote from: RammJaeger on April 28, 2019, 09:28:31 PM

They are super lightweight and I can tow them and any of my cars with our Durango R/T.

The lift is the larger concern though.

DESIGNED BY WORLD RENOWN AUTOMOTIVE DESIGNER PETER BROCK

Have him make one that fits !! :RantExplode:

And to answer your question,two people that are careful is all that is needed and if there is a quick release,it's a well kept secret ! :Twocents:

Moparpoolman

Did you look at the specs. of the trailer you want, there is a T model that is taller and would probably clear the wing but unless your next question is going to be, How hard is it to remove the nose cone on a Superbird?  I think you're going to need a longer trailer.  You're also close to the max payload of the trailer of 4560 for the taller model.  There are other trailer manufacturers like Featherlite that build a lighter and lower profile trailer but I'm not sure I would want to tow any b body in an enclosed trailer behind a Durango, no offense.

https://www.bre2.net/aerovault.info/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Aerovault-MKII-spec-table-for-flyer-2019-04-03.jpg

https://www.bre2.net/aerovault.info/wp-content/uploads/2019/04/Aerovault-MKII-Plan-View-20181010.jpg

As for the lift in the garage, just don't go all the way up with the lift.

1970Moparmann

Those are cool trailers!  I like the aerodynamics of it to keep it on the road.  Not a big block on wheels.

I was looking for a MSRP, but not luck.   What do they go for?
My name is Mike and I'm a Moparholic!

62 Max

Quote from: 1970Moparmann on April 30, 2019, 07:21:18 AM

Those are cool trailers!  I like the aerodynamics of it to keep it on the road.  Not a big block on wheels.

I was looking for a MSRP, but not luck.   What do they go for?

Are you sitting down ? :o

At $25,990, Aerovault II is not a cheap, but it's complete and ready to use at that price. Brock reports that one early owner thinks he'll get the price back over a relatively short period due to an estimated 33 percent to 50 percent reduction in fuel costs.

Aero426

Quote from: Moparpoolman on April 29, 2019, 08:40:22 PM
Did you look at the specs. of the trailer you want, there is a T model that is taller and would probably clear the wing but unless your next question is going to be, How hard is it to remove the nose cone on a Superbird?  I think you're going to need a longer trailer.  You're also close to the max payload of the trailer of 4560 for the taller model.  There are other trailer manufacturers like Featherlite that build a lighter and lower profile trailer but I'm not sure I would want to tow any b body in an enclosed trailer behind a Durango, no offense.

Agree 100 percent.    The Brock is super sexy, but definitely not the right tool for this one job.      Durango will certainly pull it, but with the shortish wheelbase,  it would not be for me pulling a Bird in any enclosed.   Sporty cars, no problem.

You also lose the capability of a driver side escape door, which is a really nice thing to have.   Be tough to get out of the Benz in the photo.    

The 3500 lb torsion axles are fine for a lite weight trailer, but again, you will be getting towards the upper limit with a Bird and your gear.   It's not a safety issue, but a potential durability issue long term.  

How do you maintain the finish on the trailer?    Is there some kind of coating on it, or will you have to be a slave to it?

As for removing the wing, it would be a time waster at shows when you want to arrive and have fun.   Where do you store the wing in transit?

Everything about the BRE trailer is cool, except for the cost and the size limit.      It would be perfect for taking your Cobra down to the track, hitched to the back of your Cadillac.

Y1CHARGER

You won't have to remove the wing to use this trailer.  you just need to remove the back door of the trailer and go down the road that way because of the length of the trailer the the wing portion of the bird won't even be in the trailer.   :hah:
Helpful info
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Superbird

RammJaeger

Thanks for the feedback on how I shouldn't do all the things that I want to do  ::)

Back to the original question, has anyone ever taken their wing off, and how hard is it?

Daytona R/T SE

Quote from: RammJaeger on May 04, 2019, 10:00:26 AM
Thanks for the feedback on how I shouldn't do all the things that I want to do  ::)

Back to the original question, has anyone ever taken their wing off, and how hard is it?

1. Remove horizontal stabilizer bolts, one per side ( if not seized )

2. Remove four nuts per side under the wing braces.

3. Remove wing uprights from car.

Pretty simple as long as nothing is stuck...

RammJaeger

Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on May 04, 2019, 10:54:20 AM
Thanks for the feedback on how I shouldn't do all the things that I want to do  ::)

Thanks, I appreciate the info. Do you need to remove the horizontal stabilize bolts? Could you remove it all in one piece?

62 Max

Quote from: RammJaeger on May 04, 2019, 11:10:53 AM
Quote from: Daytona R/T SE on May 04, 2019, 10:54:20 AM

Thanks, I appreciate the info. Do you need to remove the horizontal stabilize bolts? Could you remove it all in one piece?

Easier if you  remove the bolts,"but" I've found what I have ever taken off the bolts were seized,not worth taking a chance,if they can be turned at all you could probably remove them,if not leave them alone.Two people can easily remove it.

Y1CHARGER

Thanks for the feedback on how I shouldn't do all the things that I want to do  ::)

Do all you want to do.  Can you post a picture of your wingless Superbird hanging out of your cool trailer.  :coolgleamA:

birdsandbees

Yep.. only 16'7" inside length. They show offering two heights, but nothing about longer lengths and a Bird ain't fitting in 16'7" unless you plan to put the nose under that "shelf".
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: RammJaeger on April 28, 2019, 06:59:29 PM

Also, does anyone make a "quick release" sort of mechanism to make it easy to remove/reattach?

This....

And this....

RammJaeger

Quote from: birdsandbees on May 04, 2019, 08:00:35 PM
Yep.. only 16'7" inside length. They show offering two heights, but nothing about longer lengths and a Bird ain't fitting in 16'7" unless you plan to put the nose under that "shelf".

I've already talked to them about modifying, raising the height of, or removing the shelf. It's 224" without the shelf. That's a tight fit for sure. I'm supposed to measure up the car and send them dimensions and they will let me know what modifications they could do to get it to fit.

Once again though, too much fixation on the "why" and not the "what" :) I got my question answered.

birdsandbees

Quote from: RammJaeger on May 06, 2019, 06:00:31 PM

I've already talked to them about modifying, raising the height of, or removing the shelf. It's 224" without the shelf. That's a tight fit for sure. I'm supposed to measure up the car and send them dimensions and they will let me know what modifications they could do to get it to fit.

Once again though, too much fixation on the "why" and not the "what" :) I got my question answered.

Sorry, just trying to help.. I walk around the nose of one of these every day in the shop! You carry on, but you'll be banging your head against the wall when you try to strap it down in there.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Y1CHARGER

I can't believe that you still think there's a chance your bird will fit in that trailer.   :rofl: "chances are one in a million, so you're telling me there's a chance"  :smilielol:.  
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEhixvM0wKw
A bird is 221" so even if you could get it all the way to the front you would only have 3" to spare,1.5' in front and 1.5" in the rear, which you can't even get it all the way to the front because of the radius of the front of the trailer.  You might want to start looking for a new nose cone for the bird now because you are going to need one in the future. :yesnod:  But still looking forward to the picture of your bird hanging out of the trailer, it could be your new avatar. :lol:

A383Wing

not sure if it was mentioned before, but in regards to removing the wing....don't ferget about the bracing under the quarter panels also.....plus, if you take it off, where are you gonna store it during travel with the 'Bird in the trailer?

Bryan

RammJaeger

Quote from: Y1CHARGER on May 06, 2019, 06:54:38 PM

I can't believe that you still think there's a chance your bird will fit in that trailer.   :rofl: "chances are one in a million, so you're telling me there's a chance"  :smilielol:.  A bird is 221" so even if you could get it all the way to the front you would only have 3" to spare,1.5' in front and 1.5" in the rear, which you can't even get it all the way to the front because of the radius of the front of the trailer.  You might want to start looking for a new nose cone for the bird now because you are going to need one in the future. :yesnod:  But still looking forward to the picture of your bird hanging out of the trailer, it could be your new avatar. :lol:

You must not know what "custom" means. And my bird fits in my garage with about 1/2" to spare between the front wing and the lift. And I do that parking job multiple times per week. I won't get a trailer if it won't fit. But if they can customize it so it can fit, then that's great.

RammJaeger

Quote from: A383Wing on May 06, 2019, 07:00:10 PM
not sure if it was mentioned before, but in regards to removing the wing....don't ferget about the bracing under the quarter panels also.....plus, if you take it off, where are you gonna store it during travel with the 'Bird in the trailer?

Bryan

Put it in the back of my Durango.

62 Max

Quote from: RammJaeger on May 06, 2019, 07:18:31 PM
Quote from: Y1CHARGER on May 06, 2019, 06:54:38 PM

I can't believe that you still think there's a chance your bird will fit in that trailer.   :rofl: "chances are one in a million, so you're telling me there's a chance"  :smilielol:.  A bird is 221" so even if you could get it all the way to the front you would only have 3" to spare,1.5' in front and 1.5" in the rear, which you can't even get it all the way to the front because of the radius of the front of the trailer.  You might want to start looking for a new nose cone for the bird now because you are going to need one in the future. :yesnod:  But still looking forward to the picture of your bird hanging out of the trailer, it could be your new avatar. :lol:

You must not know what "custom" means. And my bird fits in my garage with about 1/2" to spare between the front wing and the lift. And I do that parking job multiple times per week. I won't get a trailer if it won't fit. But if they can customize it so it can fit, then that's great.

You must not know what "custom" means.

Yes,it means the cost will go higher ! ::)