News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Exhaust Kit

Started by John Milner, April 29, 2019, 09:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Milner

Has anyone used the Summit Racing or Jegs brand exhaust kits with 2.5 inch pipes?  If you have, did the kit fit very well? I don't mind doing some minor cutting.  I am more concerned as to if the pipes have the correct bends.  I am looking into buying an exhaust kit and do not want to spend a ton of money on exhaust. 

Also, is there a headpipe available that will bolt to the factory HP 440 manifolds and have the correct bends to start my exhaust system? 

Thank you

krops cars

I bought the Pypes exhaust. Fit great. I ordered with out mufflers and used cherry bombs. Mounted great and bends were all in the right spot.

will

I vote for pypes also.

Canadian1968

I went with the pypes X pipe kit. Running with hedman headers. I had to do a bit of cutting threw the mid section as the bends just weren't quite right. All in all still happy with it !!

c00nhunterjoe

I used the summit 3" kit without mufflers. All pipes fit perfect under the car. Only modification was the header attachment on the driver side as i beleive the kit is made for hooker super comps and i had hedmans at the time.

John Milner

Thank you all for the replies.  I am tempted to try the summit racing or jegs exhaust kit.  They are much cheaper than the others.  The Pypes system does look good and it is good to hear that they fit the car well.  I just need to source some headpipes that bolt to the HP manifolds. 

mopar0166

I used the 3" kit, no real complaints

Rolling_Thunder

I just installed the summit kit (with mufflers) on my 73 Challenger...    pipes with great with one exception - the E-body kit is made for challenger / cuda - to the pipes were about 2-3" too short IMO so I just welded in little extentions -

I read somewhere the pipes are bent up by hooker I believe so they are actually decently done.

I'm sure the B body kit would be similar quality to the E-body kit
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

John Milner

I bought the Jegs brand exhaust kit. The reason I bought this kit was because it was cheaper and I had previously had pretty good luck with their kits on some of my other cars.  The quality of the pipe and hangers are good.  However, I was very disappointed in the bends of the pipe.  I am using manifolds and ordered the pre-bent down pipes from Mancini Racing, which were excellent quality and fit great. They are designed to exit the same place as TTI headers. I got the passenger's side to fit just fine up to the muffler. On the driver's side, there was no chance as the front pipe that attaches to the downpipe was bent completely wrong.  It was bent so wrong that had I have used it as is, it would have crossed over the driveshaft. I was able to get it bent enough to work for now. There is absolutely no chance of the tailpipes fitting as is.  I think I could shorten the pipe that goes over the axle and it might work?  I would have to shorten it by several inches. Right now I am just going to run them dumped by the rear axle.  I mainly wanted something to put on to break my engine in. I will run them for a while but I will be saving up for a better quality kit.  That or just to find a custom exhaust shop that I can drive the car to and have them fabricate a complete system.  I should have ordered the Pypes or TTI kit in the first place.  Just a warning if anyone wants to try to use the Jegs/Summit 2 1/2" kit for their B Body Mopar.

Fitz73Chrgr

How well does the Pypes system line up with the TTI headers/TTI headpipes?
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

krops cars

Worked awesome with Hooker Competition.

Fitz73Chrgr

I'm leaning towards the Pypes X-pipe system with the TTI headpipes from Mancini.  OP, did you end up buying exhaust?
'73 Charger - project                '70 Charger - driver                 '66 Charger - survivor

Resto thread:
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,89803.msg1019541.html#msg1019541

Tmb84

70' Charger 383 -top banana
71' hemicuda Sox&Martin "tribute"