News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Bird Brake Calipers

Started by TexasDave, May 01, 2019, 09:02:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasDave

I'm trying to get the correct calipers for my Bird and it is very confusing.  It seems that the Kelsey Hayes number cast into the caliper is correct, KH 80012.  However that is a cast number and not a part number.  Also I have been trying to locate some type of date code.  I have seen original birds with the KH80012 with various numbers cast underneath the KH80012 number.  I have seen numbers, 12, 19, 76, and 330!  I thought they were date codes, but if they are I can't figure it out.  Any suggestions or thoughts on correct calipers for our Birds!
Thanks!!

6bblgt

you're on the right track: KH 80012 casting number calipers B & E-bodies - AKA "big mouth" pin calipers

the casting date only covers the day (of year), the machining/assembly date will cover the day/year and shift or line (3 in the examples below)

the "small mouth" pin calipers started to show up early in the '71 model year

TexasDave

6bblgt- A HUGE THANK YOU for taking the time for your comprehensive reply with photos!  You have clarified the confusing brake caliper stuff. I have been struggling to sort all this out and you did a great job. 

fastmark

I've been collecting parts and cars for a long time. My Superbird was acquired in 82 in original condition. I'm sure it had The original brakes. I removed them but kept and labeled them when I installed the later updated calipers and adapter. Here's the number from my Superbird I've recorded.

Right side
Caliper cast no.       80012
Date cast no.            274
Date stamped.        321 9 2

Adapter is date cast. 281

Left side
Caliper cast no      80012
Caliper cast date.   310
Stamped date.        316 9

Adapter cast date.   279

By the time I got to listing out my bird calipers and adapters, I was tired of writing repeat numbers so I did not write down the cast no on the adapters, just the dates. But the cast no of the calipers from my other 70 cars are:

Right. KH 83525
Left.   KH 80034

My two AARs, which were built in March and April of 1970 have the original calipers on them and they have cast date codes of 7, 28, 20.
Good luck finding dated coded parts. Of all the cars I've owned, parted or just kept the disc brakes from, I only have a couple of early dated calipers. I was fortunate to have never traded in any of the parts when I changed them out.
What part of Texas are you from? I live in Abilene ?

Dragon Slayer

The more common caliber was the KH86166 for the 70-72 B and E Disc cars.  You can still get them from Auto Stores.  That 80012 is the Early 70 wide mouth type.  They are hard to come by.  At least one is in the parts rebuild cycle, because I put it there before I knew better :rotz:

There are also later Caliper adapter casting numbers that also work, but not date code correct.

The real problem for  OEM restoration will be 2 piece rotors.  I kept my used ones that are in good shape, but that is the harder part to get.  Same with the 69 and earlier Bendix B body rotor.  Pretty much unobtainable.

6bblgt

I've seen the KH80012 "big mouth calipers into Sept. '70 built '71 E-bodies

the above small mouth caliper & 2-piece rotor(s) are on a 60k mile Dec. '71 built '72 GTX

70gtx440dana

I have a pair of 80012 calipers. If interested feel free to PM me.  Joe
70 Road Runner FJ5 383-4speed Air Grabber
70 GTX FE5 440-4speed Dana 3.54
70 Charger R/T FJ5 440-4peed Dana 3.54

Dragon Slayer

For the 71E body did the date code on wide mouth support the build date?  Interesting.  My 60K 70 RR had one wide and one small, but I doubt they were original install, but who knows.  The good news is the 70-72 B and E parts are still available, and you can get one piece rotors too.  There are several different casting numbers on the calipers that work.  Last set I ordered, one had a casting number that crossed to an AMC, but was identical other than casting number.