News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

NV3500 Adapter for B Body?

Started by Vegas_Nick, May 04, 2019, 06:48:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vegas_Nick

Does anybody know if there is a ready made adapter for the NV3500 cross member mount for the B Body (74)? Just picked one up and the mount is the only thing that I cannot readily find.

mally69

Ive had nothing but bad luck with the nv3500. I went thro 4 had correct special lube from dodge everytime. And no matter what i did it wasnt but 20k miles sychronizers were starting to go bad.

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: mally69 on May 08, 2019, 08:12:24 PM
Ive had nothing but bad luck with the nv3500. I went thro 4 had correct special lube from dodge everytime. And no matter what i did it wasnt but 20k miles sychronizers were starting to go bad.

I have heard hit and miss with them. Most people having good luck are running the AMSOIL synchro oil in them.

Troy

I don't know if physically bolting it up is as much of a problem as fitting it under the floor. They are rather large and, my guess is that, you'll have to do major surgery on the floor pan and cross member. Probably why nobody makes a part.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: Troy on May 25, 2019, 01:20:26 PM
I don't know if physically bolting it up is as much of a problem as fitting it under the floor. They are rather large and, my guess is that, you'll have to do major surgery on the floor pan and cross member. Probably why nobody makes a part.

Troy

I have seen a few done that all they did was cut the shifter hole. I am hoping it works out like that!

I was able to find this write up: https://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/threads/nv3500-in-b-body.57014/

alfaitalia

Lots seem to kill them by using ordinary gear or engine oil in them from what ive read....

This is official guide to NV3500 lube...at least the best I could find.

Lubricants for the NV3500:
OEM Recommended: Mopar Manual Transmission Lubricant (4874464)
GM Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (in US 12377916 in Canada 10953465)

Alternatives CERTIFIED to meet GM 9985648 and Chrysler MS-9224:
AMSOIL Synthetic Synchromesh Transmission Fluid (MTF)
Pennzoil Synchromesh Fluid
Royal Purple Synchromax
Royal Purple Max Gear
RAVENOL STF Synchromesh Transmission Fluid

Capacity:
NV3500 4.2 pints DRY is stated in the Owners Manual and the Service Manual.
NV3500-HD 2.0 Litres is stated in the Owners Manual and the Service Manual. When performing a fluid change some of the old oil will not drain out.

NOTE:
5W30 engine oil does not contain additives for use in manual transmissions.
Additives in standard gear and axle lubes will etch the bronze synchronizers and 80W oil will not properly flow into the NV3500 bearings.

I was looking as using one myself...this sentence, amongst other put me off. " These are rated "extremely difficult" transmissions to rebuild. Special tools are required for a full rebuild."
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Mike DC

I've had one of those trannys and I wouldn't want it for a Charger. 
The difference between 1st and 2nd gear ratios is stupid-wide.  Shifting is kinda hard in general. 

The tranny is fine in a work truck but it wouldn't make a very fun manual to have in a sporty car.   

alfaitalia

Maybe you had the wide ratio version....

Wide-ratio....Version MG5
Close-ratio....Version M50

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Vegas_Nick

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on May 29, 2019, 09:46:21 AM

I've had one of those trannys and I wouldn't want it for a Charger. 
The difference between 1st and 2nd gear ratios is stupid-wide.  Shifting is kinda hard in general. 

The tranny is fine in a work truck but it wouldn't make a very fun manual to have in a sporty car.   

I had read that from another builder. Since I am running mostly road course with it, I don't see me doing a lot of time between 1-2.