News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

big brakes

Started by sixty-niner, May 23, 2019, 01:04:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixty-niner

greetings,
I am getting ready to install some good size brakes on my 69 charger. 6 piston 12.88 wilwoods in the front and 4 piston 12.88 in the back.  I am planning on auto-crossing this car in the future.  Do I need a hydroboost to get the most out of this brake kit?  or can I just run a regular master cylinder or even non power brakes? 
any insight would be great. thanks

c00nhunterjoe

How big are your calves and thighs? The hydroboost will give you no more "pressure" then vaccum assist or manual brakes. The boosters just decrease pedal effort.

sixty-niner

calves are average I guess, this sounds like something that can be added later.  thanks for the response.

WHITE AND RED 69

How much vacuum is the motor putting out? If you have a big cam with low vacuum the power brake booster isn't going to do much, so the better option would be manual brakes or hydroboost in that case.
1969 Dodge Charger R/T
2016 Jeep Grand Cherokee 75th edition
1999 Jeep Grand Cherokee
1972 Plymouth Duster

c00nhunterjoe

I have manual brakes in all but the ss nova and have no complaints. Other opinions will vary. Hydro boost is nice but costs 10-15 hp on avg

cdr

Call Wilwood, you cant just guess on the correct master cyl, it is all math on the bore size & diam & how many pistons in the calipers, I also have manual brakes & they work great.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

MSRacing89

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 23, 2019, 08:45:51 PM
I have manual brakes in all but the ss nova and have no complaints. Other opinions will vary. Hydro boost is nice but costs 10-15 hp on avg

You are  ;D ;D.  It only activates the hyroboost pump while under braking.  There is no HP loss.
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

John_Kunkel

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 23, 2019, 03:35:18 PM
The hydroboost will give you no more "pressure" then vaccum assist or manual brakes.

Interesting assertion.  ::)
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

MSRacing89

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 23, 2019, 03:35:18 PM
How big are your calves and thighs? The hydroboost will give you no more "pressure" then vaccum assist or manual brakes. The boosters just decrease pedal effort.

I think the public deserves a bit more insight into these vague answers.  There are variations in line pressure for different set-ups.  There are also variations created by master cylinder size and pedal effort from the user.

But as a guideline, manual brakes will be around 900 to 1000psi, vacuum will give you a bit more at 1200psi.  Hydroboost will push this up into the 1800-2000psi range (the reason for it's early development was assisting heavier vehicles) 

I have blown through several piston seals on my rear brakes with my hydroboost during racing applications.  I generally tell people that the hydroboost was the single best mod I did to the car. 
http://www.popularhotrodding.com/features/1203phr_1968_dodge_charger/index.html

'68 Charger 440, 11:1, ported Stealth Heads, Lunati voodoo 60304, 3.23 gear, Mulit-port EZ-EFI, Gear Vendors OD and Tallon Hydroboost.

Kern Dog

Quote from: cdr on May 23, 2019, 09:58:55 PM
Call Wilwood, you cant just guess on the correct master cyl, it is all math on the bore size & diam & how many pistons in the calipers, I also have manual brakes & they work great.

Are you running a disc/drum setup or 4 wheel disc?