News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

440/8-71 setup questions

Started by vita, May 07, 2019, 01:57:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vita

I ran into a great deal on a 71 block 440 with a near new 8-71 blower at a local speed shop.  Owner of the shop brought up a question for me, on what I planned on doing for all the other accessories for the engine.  Can someone running a 440 with a 871 blower tell me their setup?   Trying to see if I can run power steering, power brakes, and an A/C setup (stock or aftermarket). I'm afraid that I either won't have the space for adequate cooling since I live in El Paso, Texas, or the belt system doesn't exist.

Any input on this would be GREATLY appreciated!  Trying to learn!

Challenger340

Dunno about all the accessories fitment, but I'm sure someone will chime in eventually....
however,
and related to setup on a 440 with an 871 Blower
you may wish to take a Look-e-loo or ask the Seller of the 440/871 combo has had a 2nd keyway cut in the Crank for the Blower drive hub ?

just say'in....
seen more than a few over the years rip the one/single stock keyway out of the Crank and spin the Hub on the Crank ? NOT a good thing !
Granted, most guys it happened to were trying to whack up the boost a bit..... but even a few didn't, and were just "driver's" more show than go.... which would suggest cumulative over time driving and dependent not just on the single stock keyway but also the actual "Fit" of the drive hub on the Crank itself ?
and hence....
why the BEST trouble-free way to install a Blower is to cut a 2nd 1/4" keyway in the Drive Hub & Crank Snout 180* around from the stock keyway to keep it from spinning ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

c00nhunterjoe

Ps and alt is no problem. I dont have pics though.  Ac would be the only potential issue with off the shelf parts. I prefer not going with 180 offset keys since so many do it yourselfers could potentially put the balancer on 180 off.... blower motors are fun, but alot like a 6 pack. You REALLY have to k ow what you are doing.

Challenger340

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 12, 2019, 11:33:15 AM
Ps and alt is no problem. I dont have pics though.  Ac would be the only potential issue with off the shelf parts. I prefer not going with 180 offset keys since so many do it yourselfers could potentially put the balancer on 180 off.... blower motors are fun, but alot like a 6 pack. You REALLY have to k ow what you are doing.

And that's why most Blower Manu's who Recommend the 2nd Keyway also specify the 180* Keyway is 1/4 Inch so dorks can't install backwards ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

c00nhunterjoe

On blower motors, i prefer both keys oversized given the high boost and hp levels im used to. Never done a mild street blower motor.

John_Kunkel

Roots blower drives generally don't use a balancer, they have a simple drive hub for the crank pulley which, coincidently, has the same bolt circle as the Mopar crank pulley.

When I ran a 6-71 on the street, I used a deep V-belt pulley inside the lower Gilmer pulley to drive the water pump and alternator. A/C and P/S would be a lot more tricky.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

You can set them up with or without a balancer. On a dedicated race car, i would do it "old school" and use just the hub and let the belt take the abuse, but on a street car i would run a balancer. I know there are countless people who run them on the street with just a drive hub setup, but i would not. Btw, i love when you post pictures of that car john.

vita

Quote from: Challenger340 on May 12, 2019, 10:22:13 AM
Dunno about all the accessories fitment, but I'm sure someone will chime in eventually....
however,
and related to setup on a 440 with an 871 Blower
you may wish to take a Look-e-loo or ask the Seller of the 440/871 combo has had a 2nd keyway cut in the Crank for the Blower drive hub ?

just say'in....
seen more than a few over the years rip the one/single stock keyway out of the Crank and spin the Hub on the Crank ? NOT a good thing !
Granted, most guys it happened to were trying to whack up the boost a bit..... but even a few didn't, and were just "driver's" more show than go.... which would suggest cumulative over time driving and dependent not just on the single stock keyway but also the actual "Fit" of the drive hub on the Crank itself ?
and hence....
why the BEST trouble-free way to install a Blower is to cut a 2nd 1/4" keyway in the Drive Hub & Crank Snout 180* around from the stock keyway to keep it from spinning ?

I appreciate the response guys.   I did check,  the seller did have a 2nd Keyway cut into the crank.   I didn't even think to ask!

I did find a kit online,  however,  since you guys are DEFINITELY more knowledgeable about it,   think this would work with my issue? 

https://www.rbssuperchargers.com/Products/Chrysler_440_6-71_8-71_Blower_Drive_Kit--7U6Y5T

I know the next issue would be seeing what lines up,  but with 3 grooves (PS, PB, A/C), it looks to be the most promising so far?

69wannabe

Have to really build a good bottom end to handle the excessive pressure of the blower. I am not 100% sure but nodular main caps and steel crank with H-beam rods and 7.5 to 1 compression pistons are necessary and a custom grind cam with a 114 centerline is also recommended but I have never built an engine like this so no real experience here just going by what I have read.....

Rolling_Thunder

I'm currently mocking up my accessory drive on my BB with an 8-71...    I am going to simply run an alternator though - the PS will push the blower belt close to the radiator - keep in mine that I am building a 64 Polara so the engine is further forward compared to a 66 and later B-body. The only tall order you;ll have is the A/C -  would probably be a low mount sanden style aftermarket compressor.

You COULD probably run a complete sepentine belt setup from CVF or March then just figure out snout length and run a snout mounted idler for the blower...   

The thing i've realized is there is not really an exact way of setting it up - there are so many variables you have to make it work for your specific set up
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

1974dodgecharger

1974dodgecharger

my feedback:
-yes you can have your A/C and cake and eat it too with your blower just get a 3V or 2V setup easy and get the belts it does exist for every accessoire you can think of.
-2nd keyway is not needed unless you plan to run CONSTANT high boost.  I ran a single stock keyway on 11lbs of boost and during the tear down everything was fine.  You probably will run 5lbs on a stock engine you will be ok.  When you run 10 plus double keyway is recommended and if you run 15lbs plus its mandatory. 
-make sure you have a forged crank on that 440..if its cast thats ok just dont go over 5lbs it be more SHOW than GO.