News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Which spring

Started by 1charger69, May 11, 2019, 10:50:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1charger69

A project for this fall ...passenger side sits 3/4" higher....which leaf of my 5 leafs should I remove to remedy this?

BLK 68 R/T

Are the springs equal leaf count on both sides?

1charger69

c00nhunterjoe

Are you sure the rear springs are the cause?

1charger69

1charger69

c00nhunterjoe

If you have a bad spring, replace them. Dont halfass it.

cdr

if the torsion bars are not adjusted correct it can do the same as a bad rear spring
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: cdr on May 12, 2019, 12:06:13 PM
if the torsion bars are not adjusted correct it can do the same as a bad rear spring

He assured me in his reply that nothing else is wrong, he is sure its the spring...  :nana:

cdr

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 13, 2019, 06:07:52 AM

He assured me in his reply that nothing else is wrong, he is sure its the spring...  :nana:

Well then, by ALL MEANS replace both of them as you said :):slap:  :icon_smile_big:
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver

1charger69

The "yes they are" was a double post.....whoops.....the springs are a new springs

Birdflu

:iagree: An improper torsion bar setting will 'pull' the whole side of the car down. Been there....just saying!  :yesnod:

1charger69

Would i adjust the opposite side bar to get a reaction?

cdr

Quote from: 1charger69 on May 14, 2019, 05:09:45 PM
Would i adjust the opposite side bar to get a reaction?

Raise the left front & that will lower the right rear, or raise rt front lowers left rear, or lower left front will raise RT rear

1charger69

b5blue

Have you adjusted the front end per FSM instructions? My 70 has Mopar HD springs so pass. side has more leafs. I corrected ride height by using the two hole front of spring mounting brackets. By mounting pass. side spring in the higher hole it evened out rear ride height.

XH29N0G

The last bit about the Factory Service Manual procedure is pretty important - or at least that is what I was led to believe.  I believe for safety reasons it is important to adjust the torsion bars with the weigh released (especially when tightening and then let them settle.   I was led to believe it could be very dangerous if you are adjusting from under the car and one breaks.

The procedure is relatively straightforward, but will affect alignment, ride height, and side to side lean.  The folks that responded know a whole lot more about these things than me, so I would follow their guidance if they dispute anything I have written.

If you don't have a copy of the FSM it is worth getting one.  There are copies on line, so you can also ask for that and people will direct you to them.

I gather you figured out that the springs have different numbers of leaves from side to side - at least some do.  I think they did that so the car would go straight when the front wheels weren't touching.
Who in their right mind would say

"The science should not stand in the way of this."? 

Science is just observation and hypothesis.  Policy stands in the way.........

Or maybe it protects us. 

I suppose it depends on the specific case.....

b5blue

I found you really need to drive the car to let things settle and then re check ride height, repeat until happy.