News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Speedo Cable:

Started by Captain D, May 12, 2019, 12:50:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hello all,

I recently swapped out my speedo cable in the 69' Charger. My original was rattling so loud, the reading was all over the place, the needle slumped below '0', etc. Long story short, I replaced it with a quality product & it seemed to assemble just fine. Good news is that it's quiet again inside during a drive, lol. However, I did a test run yet the needle still slumps down to '0' and primarily stays at the '6 o' clock' position. Only at higher RPMs does it creep up to the 25-30mph range, which is a false reading. All of the other gauges are just fine. Does this sound like a bad gauge altogether or is there something else to try or test? A friend noted that he once put some 90 weight oil from the top of the cable (to seep down) and it worked for awhile. But, I wouldn't think that I need to go that route...

And speaking of gauges, I may simply opt for an aftermarket set (mounted at the lower dash). For those who have the aftermarket gauges, any recommendations for a cruiser & how many hours does it take to upgrade / make the transition?

Thanks for any and all info...

BLK 68 R/T

Sounds like the needle stop is broken on your speedometer. The needle should not physically be able to drop below 0.

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Captain D

I think I know the answer already, but the whole cluster may have to be pulled just to get to the gauge, eh?