News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Are the blinkers on a '69 supposed to make a sound when they are on?

Started by MaximRecoil, May 14, 2019, 09:39:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MaximRecoil

With every vehicle I've ever driven, the blinkers make a clicking sound when they're on; in my Charger they are completely silent though.

green69rt

Quote from: MaximRecoil on May 14, 2019, 09:39:54 AM
With every vehicle I've ever driven, the blinkers make a clicking sound when they're on; in my Charger they are completely silent though.

Mine click, never seen one that doesn't make some sound... :shruggy:

70 sublime

The relay makes the noise so yes there should be a sound if they are in fact turning on and off
If they just stay on it will not make a noise
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

MaximRecoil

Quote from: 70 sublime on May 14, 2019, 12:01:39 PM
The relay makes the noise so yes there should be a sound if they are in fact turning on and off
If they just stay on it will not make a noise

They blink like they are supposed to but they are completely silent.

John_Kunkel

Somebody probably installed a solid state electronic turn signal flasher, they make no sound in operation.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

MaximRecoil

Quote from: John_Kunkel on May 14, 2019, 02:40:24 PM
Somebody probably installed a solid state electronic turn signal flasher, they make no sound in operation.

Where's the turn signal flasher located? Also, what makes the blinker sound in newer vehicles that have solid-state flashers?

70 sublime

The turn signal flasher is just under the edge of the dash on the left side of steering column
The four way flasher should be mounted on the side of the ash tray on the right side of steering column
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

John_Kunkel

Quote from: MaximRecoil on May 18, 2019, 08:38:08 AM
Also, what makes the blinker sound in newer vehicles that have solid-state flashers?

On many newer cars the turn signal flasher (and rate) is controlled by the TIPM (Total Integrated Power Module). This, along with current monitoring, makes the replacement of a "relay" or separate flasher module a non-issue, as it does not exist as such.

Also, the clicking noise heard in the cabin when you execute a turn signal is known as a "clicker" and is nothing but a dummy relay to give the driver a "legacy noise" during any turn signal/flasher operation.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.