News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What ever happened to using Slick 50.

Started by ACUDANUT, May 16, 2019, 03:19:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

It was a "must have/use in the 80's.  ??

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

ACUDANUT

Does that go for Lucas oil and all their magical potions for (everything liquid) for a car ?  :shruggy:

Kern Dog

I remember those ads...They claimed to have something like PTFE,  Poly Teflon E something....I recall seeing the displays at car shows, an engine running with NO oil pan...Trick of that was that the engine was being spun by an electric motor....Almost zero wear occurred because there was no load on the crank since no combustion was taking place. Funny how it seemed like such a great development with all of the promotion it was getting.
Just like the bullshit intake gizmo, the "Tornado" that supposedly induced a swirl to the incoming air to improve power and mileage.
I also remember a few "Super" coils, igniters and other scam products that claimed to increase the spark. Split Fire spark plugs, etc.

white

I still have split fire spark plugs in the 68 charger.

John_Kunkel

The debate on oil additives will go on forever, I notice STP is still on the market.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

odcics2

If magic potions actually worked, the OEMs would use them...  :Twocents:

Ghoste

I wonder what they will market to the all electric guys, magic battery life enhancing magnets?

b5blue

What about the electrical thingy you attach to your car to stop rust?  :scratchchin:

birdsandbees

Mazda is still selling it as a overpriced option and extends your body rust through warranty if you buy into it!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

ACUDANUT

What Happened to Zybart  rust proofing ?

alfaitalia

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Ghoste

Quote from: birdsandbees on May 17, 2019, 07:01:17 PM
Mazda is still selling it as a overpriced option and extends your body rust through warranty if you buy into it!

I suppose to their mind its like purchasing any warranty insurance, they have your money and you get stuck with their limitations and exclusions to try and weasel their way out of honoring it.

ACUDANUT

I have not seen any Ziebart dealers in the US in over 30 plus years.  I remember the old days when they drilled a lot of holes in the body and sprayed tar inside.

1974dodgecharger

I use mine daily (wipes hands clean) feel good....

Kern Dog

ACUDANUT

c00nhunterjoe

Lucas is good stuff. Their oil and trans stabilizers do work and i use them at the shop. I would not consider them a fix per se, but they work as advertised. Prolonging life of certain issues. The trans additive will stop converter shudder on these modern pulse width engaged converters. It helps with soft band engagement on worn units. If your shit is toast, no, its not a miracle fixer. The oil additive will slow leaks and soften seals on slow leaks. If your gaskets have turned to rock hard plastic, no, it wont do anything. Ive had it quiet noiesy lifters in gen 3 hemis and cod ls motors.
    We use it as the last ditch effort to prolong the inevitable with customers to buy them time before engine or trans replacement in most cases. In my personal endeavors, i would give it an 80-90% success rate. But again, i dont use it in everything and i dont use it as a daily magic bottle either. I am also not endorsed nor do i get a penny for my statements.

tan top

Quote from: Ghoste on May 17, 2019, 01:59:38 PM
I wonder what they will market to the all electric guys, magic battery life enhancing magnets?

that funny   ;D
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

odcics2

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 21, 2019, 06:02:51 AM
Lucas is good stuff. Their oil and trans stabilizers do work and i use them at the shop. I would not consider them a fix per se, but they work as advertised. Prolonging life of certain issues. The trans additive will stop converter shudder on these modern pulse width engaged converters. It helps with soft band engagement on worn units. If your shit is toast, no, its not a miracle fixer. The oil additive will slow leaks and soften seals on slow leaks. If your gaskets have turned to rock hard plastic, no, it wont do anything. Ive had it quiet noiesy lifters in gen 3 hemis and cod ls motors.
    We use it as the last ditch effort to prolong the inevitable with customers to buy them time before engine or trans replacement in most cases. In my personal endeavors, i would give it an 80-90% success rate. But again, i dont use it in everything and i dont use it as a daily magic bottle either. I am also not endorsed nor do i get a penny for my statements.

a little brake fluid does the same thing...   :Twocents:

Tilar

You can still buy Slick 50, I use it in my old Suburban.
Dave  

God must love stupid people; He made so many.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: odcics2 on May 21, 2019, 02:44:46 PM
Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on May 21, 2019, 06:02:51 AM

a little brake fluid does the same thing...   :Twocents:

In an old c6 or 727, but not with the electronics of modern units. And ive yet to hear of someone using brakefluid in a multiple displacement v8. That would be an interesting test.

odcics2

Hmmm, wonder what additives are in those "hi mileage" engine oils.

Says on the jug that it improves sealing.

Maybe a teaspoon of brake fluid?   :lol:

taxspeaker