News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Matching Ignition Components for Rev N Ator

Started by Ghoste, May 16, 2019, 09:22:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ghoste

I picked up a Revenator ecu over the winter and I was going to use it with an MSD Blaster II coil and Firecore distributor.  Revenator advises their box should only be used with their coil and ballast and Firecore advises their distributor should only be used with their coil.  Just marketing by them all?

justcruisin

I have been using the rev-n-ator along with a blaster II for 5 years, no problems, infact, before they had there own brand coil they recommended the blaster II (with ballast). Not sure if they have changed their box internals but I doubt it. Only thing with distributors, the rev-n-nator wont work with a pick up gap that is too wide, pretty easy to close it up though. From memory they need 0.010-0.012".

Ghoste

firefighter3931

Hi Ghoste,

The FireCore RTR with built-in ECU requires a CD (capacitive discharge) coil but the electronic conversion distributor can be used with whatever style coil matches your external ECU (Mopar/MSD/Revnator etc...)

MSD makes an epoxy filled cylinder style coil that can be mounted horizontally. As long as that is compatible you're good to go.

The FireCore oil filled (Cylinder style) coil is hotter and provides a stronger spark for better efficiency....and the revnator recommended coil is likely similar. Justcruisin has been using A Blaster 2 for several years so that seems like a good match. I'm curious what ohm rated ballist he's using with that combination of parts  :scratchchin:   

Ron

68 Charger R/T "Black Pig" Street/Strip bruiser, 70 Charger R/T 440-6bbl Cruiser. Firecore ignition  authorized dealer ; contact me with your needs

Ghoste

Yes.  Revenator recommends a .7 ohm with their box.

justcruisin

I run a 1 ohm resistor but I would say a 0.7 would be fine. They say the rev-n-nator can be used without a ballast in a race situation but I imagine the coil would get a bit hot for street use and possibly fail or damage the box. I have had no problems with my set up to 6000 RPM with the 1 ohm resistor, but it is just a street car. As Ron said you can get a transformer coil that can be mounted in any position, I have my coil mounted horizontally and has been fine to date, only reason for mounting an oil filled coil vertically is cooling as the oil may not cover the entire winding. I carry a spare in the trunk.

Ghoste

Thanks guys.  I would really prefer to stick with a cylindrical coil, I know the benefits of going to the other style but I want to maintain as much of a stock appearance as I can.

Troy

I removed the Rev-n-Ator from my Challenger only because it's required to block off the vacuum advance but it was on my Six Pack with a distributor that was custom built for manifold vacuum. When I had it on any other 440s I used the marine (epoxy filled) Blaster coil and it seemed fine.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.