News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

What Size Tyre Do I Need ?

Started by JMF, May 18, 2019, 02:18:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMF

Sorry this is not for the Charger but for my 70 Satellite, so I'm buying new wheels for my 70 Satellite, for the rears i'm a bit unsure what tyres to fit

I'm getting 15 x 8 for the rear but they have a 3.75" backspace, ideally I would like 275/60/15 but do you think that size would rub ?

The fronts i'm going with 15 x 7 with 225/70/15 I think, also 3.75" backspace, think that should be ok ?

Many thanks.

c00nhunterjoe

My american racing vectors are 15x8.5 with a 3.75 bs and cleared with plenty of room using a 275/60 on the rear.

JMF

Hello, thanks, do you have any pics ? Is that stock suspension height ?

c00nhunterjoe

All stock, origonal unrestored suspension.

c00nhunterjoe

c00nhunterjoe

Best i can do with the cropping ththe site does.

JMF

Thanks, not sure if the Charger has more of a roomy wheel arch than the Plymouth though ? This is my current wheels, 18 x 9.5 with 265/40/18's on the rear, not sure on the backspace though, their website lists them as available in 6.75" , 5.75" or 5.25" so i'll have to take one off and check

With the current wheel off any idea what measurements I need to do in the arch to see if they will fit ? So just to clarify I want the 15 x 8 with 275/60/15 tyres and 3.75" backspace, I assume I should just measure from the hub to the wheel arch lip then find out the exact width of the tyre ? Thanks

JMF

I took a measurement and there seems to be 6.5" from the hub to the wheel arch lip

The current wheels on the rear are 18 x 9.5 with 5.75" backspace with 265/40/18 tyres

With the current tyre on there is about 1.5" between the edge of the tyre and the wheel arch

ACUDANUT

Our spell check does not recognize Tyre. Who spells it that way ?? UK ?  Poster refused to give a location. 

alfaitalia

Yes UK...and of course pretty much every other English speaking nation...the North American continent is the odd one out this time!! But he might not be in the UK as we usually deal in offset rather than backspacing...so who knows??
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

c00nhunterjoe

What is more confusing is that he says tyre, but is using inches for measurements. Lol. Isnt the u.s. one of the last using standard system? I thought the overseas guys were all metric?

alfaitalia

Really?! We use metric because we are part of Europe (for now..... but that's another story) and they, on the mainland, use it so it's convenient for us to use and understand it. We are not like the mainland Europe folks and are proud of that so we don't get forced into being a 100 metric society. But we were all educated using both systems and nearly everyone over 40 will use the imperial system...so we quote lengths in feet and inches, area in acres rather than hectares and all our car speedos legally have to be in mph unlike the kph they use on the other side of the channel and of course all our speed limit signs are in mph. So not so different to you. However we don't use a unit as small as a pound to weight ourselves...we use Stones...one stone being 14lb....I weigh about 13 stone 7....so that's 189lbs in American! We also tend to use mm for very small measurements rather thou or ten thou of an inch...it's just easier...but I have micrometers for both.We do also use some old fashioned measurements quite commonly...such as a chain which is 22 yards (the length of a cricket pitch between the stumps) and a furlongs...1/8 of a miles...used in horse racing.
It is odd that over here car rim sizes are quoted in inches but the tyres that go on them have their width measured in mm and their height as a percentage of the width! So a typical tyre such as 225-55/17 uses three different systems in its sizing! Inches, millimetres and percentages.

c00nhunterjoe

alfaitalia

On me by the look of it...sorry did not realise...it was a long day!! But I have seen guys on here that genuinely thought we used KMH here and every thing was metres and litres!! ......although....even though we all quote our cars in miles per gallon (UK bigger gallon) fuel sold in litres!

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: alfaitalia on May 29, 2019, 02:02:44 AM
On me by the look of it...sorry did not realise...it was a long day!! But I have seen guys on here that genuinely thought we used KMH here and every thing was metres and litres!! ......although....even though we all quote our cars in miles per gallon (UK bigger gallon) fuel sold in litres!

As a kid in elementary school, they did teach us that the u.s. was the only nation in the world that still used the standard system and everyone else used metric and that in the next 20 years the us would convert and the std system would go the way of the dodo bird.... well, guess they were wrong. Lol.