News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

what Torque convertor do you reccomend

Started by 71R/T, May 20, 2019, 06:19:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

71R/T

I believe the torque convertor I have is stock........idle is crap, would a torque convertor help?
here is what my engine has done to it

Bored 55 over Wiesco Forged pistons
Set of 346 heads Done by Dave Hughes
CH4B Intake
Stock Rockers
banana cut shafts from Mancini
super comp headers
2.5 inch Mandral bent exhaust with X pipe and Dynamax mufflers
770 street avenger Holley
Firecore RTR distributor
11" convertor stock convertor
3:55 gears
Its an Engle cam
Cam card says Intake 507  running duration 270
                     Exhaust 515 running duration 278

Gross  cam lift     Intake 338 Duration@.050 226
                                            exhaust 343                     230

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

71R/T

Not really sure, had it set at a shop....engine starts perfect, no hesitation .....just crappy idle Always, a speed shop suggested it may be torque convertor issue

justcruisin

If the torque converter is in good condition it won't be your problem, a stock 11" behind a big block will give you at least 2500 stall, plenty for that cam to be happy at idle. The 12" was usually fitted behind the 440 (if that's what you have) from the factory which will give a lower stall. Do a brake stall test , see what RPM you can pull, it could be coupling to early pulling the revs down but it's not common.

c00nhunterjoe

I had an 11" behind my 383 that should have made less power then your 440 and it would flash at 3000. It put it behind my warmed over 440 that had a little more head and cam then you list and it flashed just over 3500. I beleive the early 60s max wedge race cars only had 11 converters from the factory and they had huge solid lifter cams, cross rams, and 13:1 slugs. Find a new shop.

BSB67

"Idle is crap"..........have no idea what that means.  Torque converters have nothing to do with a motor idling.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

John_Kunkel

The tightest converter ever installed in a Mopar was mated to a motor with the wildest cam ever offered by Mopar and they idled in gear just fine.
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

c00nhunterjoe

While not for most, i am tickled pink with my custom converter made by ed allesi at select converters. Its an 8" work of art. Part throttle i can cruise like normal but if i stand on it, she'll flash to 6k.... makes for an epic ride in my hunk of junk.

white

Do you have a cam causing low vacuum, low vacuum can give you a rough idle. Most likely not the torque converter.

BSB67

The cam does not seem too big.

If I was to guess with very little info from the OP, I would look real close at the CH4B for vacuum leak at the head.   This is not uncommon for the older Eddlbrock intakes.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph

b5blue

Agreed vac. leak.  :scratchchin:  I'm using a MOPAR 145K T.C. and find it nice for street driver duty. (No racing.)

c00nhunterjoe

I have a 290@ .050 cam, doubt he has less vaccum then me. Once vaccum leaks are ruled out, its tuner error. Actually, overlooked vaccum leaks are also tuner error.

469 runner

That cam should idle very smoothly, like a stock engine.  The torque converter is not the problem.  I would be looking at all the basics.  The tune, plugs, idle mixture.  It sounds like it could be a vacuum leak.