News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

63 Ply. runs dies runs ... then it gets weird

Started by 44070dart, May 21, 2019, 02:22:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

44070dart

Thought the pick up was bad ..I put a new pick up in and took the car out, drove fine.. for about 40 minutes and quit which was what it was doing and why I changed the pick up.. Started right back up and drove a couple miles home. .. changed the ignition model with new 4 pin I had, > won't start ..put in original 4 pin module ..it starts.. thought the new module I had was bad as it has laid in my garage for years, so I go this morning and buy a new module.. no start. put old one in, it starts... .again ..went and got # 3 as everyone felt there pretty much junk these days put it in >> no start..... WHY will it run with the faulty one and not the new ones ....ANY suggestion .. been over the wiring and grounds they check out. new ballast resistor, coil, bulkhead connection is clean and solid. After I change any thing I put in the old one to make sure it still starts and it does. THANKS for any ideas.. trying all the Mopar sites

armor64

possible that there is a break in the wire that is moved when you install parts, so it reconnects? A buddy had an issue where the wire was broken in the insulation and only worked when jostled.

charger Downunder

Make sure the ignition module is earthed properly to the body through the mounting holes. rub some paint off car and module at both mounting points.
[/quote]

green69rt

You still using the ballast resistor?   Maybe something as simple as a bad connection at the ballast.  As engine compartment heats up/cools, the connection makes and breaks.  From your description, it seems that the ballast, itself, is OK..  Maybe the connection to it.  :shruggy:

ACUDANUT

Well, your coil is upside down, so that may be a problem.
Just kidding. the above advise sounds good.  :cheers:

44070dart

I removed the new pickup and put the old one in and the car started.. the original was gapped properly before and the new one also was correct.. I don't know why but it's running fine with the old pickup.  ??  I cleaned all connections .. I've pulled and bent every wire and checked grounds, used a new ballast, and coil( right side up).  It's a pretty simple design, but I don't know what was going on. I changed to the old pickup without a thought it would work but I did EVERYTHING I could think of, and a lot of things people advised me from > four  :2thumbs:< Mopar forums .. thanks guys.

ACUDANUT

What do you mean "it's running fine with the old pickup"  Pickup what ?  :scratchchin: :shruggy: