News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird Negative Battery Cable Ground Wire Screw Question

Started by Mopar John, May 22, 2019, 07:34:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mopar John

Quote from: birdsandbees on May 27, 2019, 05:01:37 PM
Man I've got some real head scratching going on now... I know my vacuuum lines/wire harness is run wrong through here (and not over the support), but I don't even have the welded in nutzert.. or a hole for same!
Wayne,
I got a lot of different scenarios from this topic.
I don't know the history of your car but your drivers side core support panel looks like a 1969 version.
They didn't have a ground wire so no need for the hole and weld nut.
I went back down to the basement and took a picture of my 1969 core support for you to think about.
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: held1823 on May 27, 2019, 06:44:56 PM
i recognize that basement parts stash, and may or may not have lightened the core support supply by one
Ernie,
You are correct there are only 4 down there now!
MJ

birdsandbees

Quote from: Mopar John on May 27, 2019, 07:38:40 PM
Quote from: birdsandbees on May 27, 2019, 05:01:37 PM
Man I've got some real head scratching going on now... I know my vacuuum lines/wire harness is run wrong through here (and not over the support), but I don't even have the welded in nutzert.. or a hole for same!
Wayne,
I got a lot of different scenarios from this topic.
I don't know the history of your car but your drivers side core support panel looks like a 1969 version.
They didn't have a ground wire so no need for the hole and weld nut.
I went back down to the basement and took a picture of my 1969 core support for you to think about.
MJ

Thanks John... if you look close in my picture you'll even see the arrow is there! AFAIK it's the original support, panel is spot welded in place. Only thing I haven't confirmed is if the VIN stamp is under my radiator decal, but will be doing that soon.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Talkiemoparjr

I worked my way thru my dads (The Original Talkiemopar) basement to his garage, removed some boxes and this is what's on his 167,000 Bird.

I was afraid if I tried to explain how to use his flip phone to take a picture and send it to me I would get nowhere after 4 hours of explaining how :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :shruggy: I cut my losses and stopped in for a visit

Birdflu

Is it the consensus that the ground wire and connector should NOT have any type of paint or overspray on it?

62 Max

Quote from: Birdflu on May 28, 2019, 10:38:01 PM
Is it the consensus that the ground wire and connector should NOT have any type of paint or overspray on it?

I would "assume" that if the ground wire had paint,the bolt would also,nobody is going to paint the wire end before attaching. :shruggy:

Picture from above.

Mopar John

Quote from: Talkiemoparjr on May 28, 2019, 08:02:37 PM
I worked my way thru my dads (The Original Talkiemopar) basement to his garage, removed some boxes and this is what's on his 167,000 Bird.

I was afraid if I tried to explain how to use his flip phone to take a picture and send it to me I would get nowhere after 4 hours of explaining how :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall: :shruggy: I cut my losses and stopped in for a visit
Talkiemoparjr,
Thanks for your efforts to show us another original example of the screw!
If you look close you can see the logo on the head originally posted by chaaargerb!
MJ

Mopar John

Quote from: 62 Max on May 29, 2019, 09:03:16 AM

I would "assume" that if the ground wire had paint,the bolt would also,nobody is going to paint the wire end before attaching. :shruggy:

Picture from above.

62 Max,
The ground wire is part of the negative battery cable that was attached to the engine when painted.
There was usually more paint away from the battery terminal and closer to the engine where the end of the ground wire was.
The ground wire would have been attached to the core support later when the engine was installed.
So it is my understanding that the mounting screw would not be painted.
MJ

maxwellwedge

Quote from: Mopar John on May 29, 2019, 09:58:26 AM

Picture from above.

62 Max,
The ground wire is part of the negative battery cable that was attached to the engine when painted.
There was usually more paint away from the battery terminal and closer to the engine where the end of the ground wire was.
The ground wire would have been attached to the core support later when the engine was installed.
MJ

That is correct John. How much paint that is on the negative cable varies by where it was hanging and the person painting the engine. On my 69 GTX the extra rear ground cable actually had masking tape around the eyelet (remnants are still on it) to keep paint off of it during the engine painting.

62 Max

Quote from: Mopar John on May 29, 2019, 09:58:26 AM

Picture from above.

62 Max,
MJ

( How much paint that is on the negative cable varies by where it was hanging and the person painting the engine.)

This is the part that I left out,I would assume the amount of paint would be variable depending on the paint process although  the majority of what I've seen were only partially painted including my original that it here somewhere,If my memory hasn't completely left me,I am thinking was only about 1/3  of the cable had paint.

Mopar John

Engine Assembly Paint
I went back through the pictures and found the engine assembly before and after paint.
These pictures will help show how the end of the ground wire part of the negative battery cable got painted.
I am sure this was different in production from where the wire hung and who was painting the engines.
MJ