News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is it just me or is the aftermarket hit or miss regardless of brand?

Started by 440, May 25, 2019, 03:02:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Is it just me or is the aftermarket quality hit or miss regardless of brand reputation, or does Australia just get second rate parts or what because it's harder to send stuff back. It just always seems there is always a problem with something no matter what it is.

I'm putting together a Ford 9" and seem to keep banging my head against the wall. Not to mention all the other issues prior, like a Holley carb that had a bad metering block out of the box and and and.....

First bought a set of Moser billet axles from an Australian importer, box is clearly marked 28"/32" 31 spline. Box has never been opened and upon opening it there is a 31" axle and a 32" axle, wtf.... Ring speed shop which didn't really believe me and said they'll check their stock and call me back. Turns out all their stock of those axle sets are the same so now I have to wait till they get new stock.

Second, I bought a Motive performance gear set when I really wanted a US Gear but everyone said the Italian Motives are better, and that they've had a few bad US gear sets. Gear set comes in the mail so I take a closer look at gear and quality and one of the teeth has been damaged and slightly burred. Why can't I catch a break. Hope the speed shop makes it right as it's easy to blame me for damaging it  ::)

Third, I bought a Strange billet chromoly yoke and the billet girdle caps and the machining between the yoke and girdles doesn't even line up making it appear off center. For such expensive parts you think they'd be machined better.

I've spent a lot of money on name brand parts, what gives, I'm over it...... *sigh*.....

jefferson

It is a lot harder here for sure to source parts no doubt about it, BUT to be honest, i didnt have much trouble with a local autopart shop sourcing all my parts for my 68 charger. and probably bought a dozen or so bits and pieces. Didnt have to import one thing. Its just a lot harder market here for old classics, well import classics IMO. Im really only into dodge chargers so not sure about sourcing stock for other classic/old cars.

Lennard

No it's not just you. I'm in the USA and get p.o.s. parts just like you, it's frustrating.

These strange yokes and girdles aren't cheap and I'd expect a bit better for the price, not to mention that Strange is highly regarded as the best in the business.

The gear could have been damaged anywhere from manufacturer to customer, but still sucks big time to have to deal with it. How can I prove to the supplier that I didn't drop it or bang it if they try to blame me? You can feel the edge is burred with your finger.

All parts were bought from Australian suppliers.

b5blue

It's everywhere. I blame the robots! Honestly I just gave up after going through budget busting time wasting delayed issues. There are things I'd like to do better and things I'd love to change all over my car but I just called it good and started driving.

Ghoste

We all want cheap parts made of Chinesium.  I blame Walmart for taking us down that highway.

Kern Dog

We don't want Chinesium...It just worked out that way because many people choose price over quality. It is the same with labor.
Worker A wants $15 per hour to do the job. He has no credentials and looks like a slob but he says that he can do the job.
Worker B wants $40 per hour, has certificates and references but for some reason, you don't think he deserves that much and you hire Worker A.
The job takes too long, other things get broken in the process, the guy skips work a few days and then has to call in a supervisor to oversee the matter and finish the job.

kent

OMG Kern Dog you hit the nail on the head! Getting more and more like that all the time. Some of the guys I work with do good to breath. I told my boy when he entered the work force, don't be the one that everybody talks about. Grab a broom and sweep if there's not much going on. Idiots, the world is filling up with lazy idiots.
Sorry about that rant.

That is all.
Kent

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Lennard on May 25, 2019, 07:08:16 AM
No it's not just you. I'm in the USA and get p.o.s. parts just like you, it's frustrating.

I agree but sounds like he's mostly talking about Mechanical parts & big name expensive parts. It's much worse when you want to restore a car using aftermarket parts non mechanical LEON.

b5blue

I had gone out of my way to buy made in usa and or quality not cheapest and still it backfired. Wrong part in box, missing hardware, defective new made or reman. parts. Saying all China parts are crap is stereotyping, I have gotten good and bad car parts from everywhere and everybody. You just do the best you can to check/test upon delivery, I've made drivers wait for me to check as I have had insane shipping damage also. 

PlainfieldCharger

Quote from: 440 on May 25, 2019, 07:19:54 AM
These strange yokes and girdles aren't cheap and I'd expect a bit better for the price, not to mention that Strange is highly regarded as the best in the business.

The gear could have been damaged anywhere from manufacturer to customer, but still sucks big time to have to deal with it. How can I prove to the supplier that I didn't drop it or bang it if they try to blame me? You can feel the edge is burred with your finger.

All parts were bought from Australian suppliers.
Send this picture to the supplier. The black coating was applied after the the damage.... :Twocents:

c00nhunterjoe

I would call strange. They are top notch and have one of the best customer service departments in the performance parts world. Send the images and they should take care of you.

Challenger340

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 25, 2019, 12:33:32 PM
We don't want Chinesium...It just worked out that way because many people choose price over quality. It is the same with labor.
Worker A wants $15 per hour to do the job. He has no credentials and looks like a slob but he says that he can do the job.
Worker B wants $40 per hour, has certificates and references but for some reason, you don't think he deserves that much and you hire Worker A.
The job takes too long, other things get broken in the process, the guy skips work a few days and then has to call in a supervisor to oversee the matter and finish the job.

Same thing for us at the Shop Machining/Building Engines ?
It's NO secret we're considered too expensive.... because we like to eat AND keep the lights on ?
Boring/Honing is Boring/Honing right ?
ReSized Rods are ReSized Rods right ?
Crank Grinding is Crank grinding right ?
so off they go...... no hard feelings as it is what it is.... and get it done elsewhere.

I'm too long winded already,
but it's the phonecalls we get back from the same guys later AFTER they went elsewhere(cheaper), then wanting to know if we can just FIX it ?, because in their mind the "rest" should all still be OK right ?

Only wimps wear Bowties !

Challenger340

Quote from: 440 on May 25, 2019, 03:02:23 AM
Is it just me or is the aftermarket quality hit or miss regardless of brand reputation, or does Australia just get second rate parts or what because it's harder to send stuff back. It just always seems there is always a problem with something no matter what it is.

HUH ?
And here I thought all the "garbage" parts/pieces get sent to Canada because it's harder to return stuff ?
just say'in....
sure glad to hear you Aussie's are getting your fair share !
Only wimps wear Bowties !

c00nhunterjoe

I see junk daily. There are certain brands i wont use anymore. And the ones that now go buy their own knockoff parts off rockauto and expect me to warranty them and cover the labor for free when they fail in a week..... yeah, its everywhere.

hemi-hampton

Quote from: Challenger340 on May 28, 2019, 02:09:27 PM
Quote from: Kern Dog on May 25, 2019, 12:33:32 PM

Same thing for us at the Shop Machining/Building Engines ?
It's NO secret we're considered too expensive.... because we like to eat AND keep the lights on ?
Boring/Honing is Boring/Honing right ?
ReSized Rods are ReSized Rods right ?

Crank Grinding is Crank grinding right ?
so off they go...... no hard feelings as it is what it is.... and get it done elsewhere.

I'm too long winded already,
but it's the phonecalls we get back from the same guys later AFTER they went elsewhere(cheaper), then wanting to know if we can just FIX it ?, because in their mind the "rest" should all still be OK right ?

Same with paint & body& restoration, they just go with the guy that tells them what they want to hear, The guy that tells them I can restore that rustbucket basket case in 4 weeks for $8k & it will be a mint show car, you'll love it, trust me. And then they say OK, Just what I wanted to hear.

Thanks for the input everyone.

I contacted Strange through the international contact form on Sunday and haven't heard anything yet so I'll try calling them in a few hours when they open.

The ring and pinion gear is about a 4 hour round trip but at least I can check it out before leaving the shop, so we'll make a day out of it.

3 problems in a row, what's next..... lol