News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

New or old school buying ???

Started by Highbanked Hauler, May 27, 2019, 06:19:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Highbanked Hauler

If you lined up the coin to pull the trigger a 68-70 Charger what would you be looking for ?  Some level of a HELLCAT that is morphed into a vintage body or an OLD SCHOOL  car rebuilt pretty much stock with minimal upgrades ?
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

charger500440

The more stock and original - the better...
1969 SE  383 Automatic
1969 500 440 Automatic

doctor4766

Old school but with an overdrive box and good a/c
Gotta love a '69

Alaskan_TA

Old.

Just avoid the rusty crap sellers & VIN swap crowd.

If you want something with 'new' creature comforts, visit a dealership near you........

Challenger340

Reading the replies thus far..... my bone stock all original example may still be desirable ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

INTMD8

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on May 27, 2019, 06:19:59 PM
   If you lined up the coin to pull the trigger a 68-70 Charger what would you be looking for ?  Some level of a HELLCAT that is morphed into a vintage body or an OLD SCHOOL  car rebuilt pretty much stock with minimal upgrades ?

I like both.   Would not complain about an original car or a well done restomod.
69 Charger. 438ci Gen2 hemi. Flex fuel. Holley HP efi. 595rwhp 475rwtq

Lennard

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on May 27, 2019, 07:12:13 PM
If you want something with 'new' creature comforts, visit a dealership near you........
Maybe I should update my build topic again... just to piss off narrow minded people like you.

I don't care about factory stock Chargers... but I'm not telling anyone else what to do with their time and money.

Alaskan_TA

I do not have an anger gene.

I do like old cars just as they are out of a respect for history.

If I click on a resto-mod type thread, I would not read it all the way through.

But I would not expect anyone to read a thread on any of my stock 4-doors either.  ;)

DAY CLONA

I can't live with "dead stock" old school mechanicals....modern powerplant is OK, but I'd rather have modded old school powerplant, suspension needs to be upgraded to whatever the wallet can afford, same for transmission...has to be an OD

And it has to be wrapped in an OLD SCHOOL look...no big donky ass rims or rubber band tires, or "modern" body looking upgrades....

Mike

Lennard

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on May 27, 2019, 08:28:34 PM
I do not have an anger gene.

I do like old cars just as they are out of a respect for history.

If I click on a resto-mod type thread, I would not read it all the way through.

But I would not expect anyone to read a thread on any of my stock 4-doors either.  ;)
:thumbs:

Challenger340

Quote from: Lennard on May 27, 2019, 08:21:41 PM
Quote from: Alaskan_TA on May 27, 2019, 07:12:13 PM
Maybe I should update my build topic again... just to piss off narrow minded people like you.

He does have a point there Lennard ?  
I mean they make a gazillion of them new cars yearly ?
Can't tell one brand from the other but that's beside the point.... stand up shower options, heated nutsack seats, yada.. yada... they can even DRIVE themselves nowadays !

By all means though, whatever floats your boat ? go for it !

Challenger340

Quote from: DAY CLONA on May 27, 2019, 08:30:27 PM

I can't live with "dead stock" old school mechanicals....modern powerplant is OK, but I'd rather have modded old school powerplant, suspension needs to be upgraded to whatever the wallet can afford, same for transmission...has to be an OD

And it has to be wrapped in an OLD SCHOOL look...no big donky ass rims or rubber band tires, or "modern" body looking upgrades....

Mike

I dunno here ?
I have a New GM Truck, a 2 year old Jeep, and a 4 year old Honda ?
and to tell you the truth here....  just don't find the old Charger R/T SE all that bad to drive ? and I NEVER have to wrench on it beyond yearly Points/Plugs/Condensor and Oil Change, you know... the fun stuff ?!
It handles just fine, no "slot" Car obviously but I don't need it to be either ? And it can CLOBBER anything I've run up against at a stoplight, even a coupla turbo'd banger wannabe's to 50 mph before shutting it down.
Ditto the O.D. on the Highway would be nice for sure !  But it don't complain at 3,000-3,200 either although I feel bad for the old girl... and WOW will it GO to 100+ mph when romped on from that 3,000 rpm ! Pull out a pass in a f**k of a hurry.... it's just Pissed off !
But then again.... it's a TIGHT well maintained original still in great shape, and I dunno what to compare it against.

70 sublime

Very close to old school stock
I like the second day look with the bigger tires on the back  :2thumbs:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

alfaitalia

Love the old school look and sound....hate the rolly polly handling, flat unsupportive seats and vague steering. So....much as I would love a nice original car for shows, I cant afford two (I cant afford one really if I'm honest!!). So its resto mod all the way for me. But I wont change the body lines at all....its got to look old school but drive like a rather more modern car and have modern seats with side support to take advantage of the superior cornering ability. OK its way too heavy to handle like a Lotus Elise....but it could def do a lot better. Old US cars were always built for comfort rather than going fast around corners (lots still are) so are too soft for European tastes so even back in the day a 69 to 71 a Euro car with half the power would run rings around them at a proper race track.....where US muscle cars would thrash us is in the quarter mile sprint.....and that was never a big thing over here......still isn't.

As far as new cars go.....not many really light my fire to be honest....they pretty much all drive amazingly well and pretty much all cant be worked on at home unless you are a NASA scientist.....Would love an ALFA Giulia Quadrifoglio though....Oh yes!! Nothing about £70,000 could not put right!!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

bakerhillpins

If I lined up the $$,  I would get a stock 68-70 Charger.  What everyone else does is up to them.  :Twocents:   That's far from saying that I wouldn't own (or check out/drive/lust after) a non stock vintage car though, but until I win the lottery it's not the priority.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

BrianShaughnessy

I'd take a hellkitty'd restomod  :2thumbs:
Black Betty:  1969 Charger R/T - X9 440 six pack, TKO600 5 speed, 3.73 Dana 60.
Sinnamon:  1969 Charger R/T - T5 440, 727, 3.23 8 3/4 high school sweetheart.

c00nhunterjoe

I enjoy all versions of the car. Personally, i dont care for big wheels and no sidewalls, but to each their own and thus the reason i can do what i please with mine.

Lennard

Quote from: BrianShaughnessy on May 28, 2019, 06:38:24 AM
  If you lined up the coin to pull the trigger a 68-70 Charger what would you be looking for ?  Some level of a HELLCAT that is morphed into a vintage body or an OLD SCHOOL  car rebuilt pretty much stock with minimal upgrades ?

I'd take a hellkitty'd restomod  :2thumbs:
That's what I'm doing, just the engine and tr6060 transmission though.

70B5Cuda

I think the majority on this site would gravitate toward stock with possibly an upgrade like brakes or TVS suspension. That's just the nature of this site. You simply can't beat the styling of a second get Charger...

I'm going with a fuel injected late model hemi (6.1L and 6.4L in mine), better brakes, A/C, and upgraded front and rear suspension. Classic styling with much better handling, lighter weight. I believe that restomod interest is here to stay and will continue to capture/represent a growing piece of the MOPAR marketing pie. There will ALWAYS be demand for solid stock second gen chargers.

The hellcat drivetrain is impressive but I think it's a bit overrated. I think a 6.1L or 6.4L would be excellent for most driver's. 500-550hp is easy to get out of them.
1968 Roadrunner-6.1L, 6 speed, 3.91 Getrag, IRS
1968 Charger- 6.1L, TR-6060, 9"
1968 Charger in RR1 "Ribeye"
1969 Charger in EW1 "S'more"
1969 Charger Survivor-R6, 383, 727.....WRECKED
1970 Barracuda-6.1L, 6 speed, 4.10 S60

b5blue

I'm with Challenger340, my 70 has mostly Mopar R/T-H.D. beefed up spec. with aluminum heads to help deal with modern fuel, modern AC system and tunes. Rides nice, rugged and reliable for 24 years. I added a cheap Addco rear sway bar and wiper delay to help with the daily duty drive.  :2thumbs: 

cdr

I like them all, my Charger has a lot of modern updates, overdrive is the best of them all,,that said with my health issues a new Kitty Kat would be nice.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

cbrestorations

Old school!!! 100 percent and will never buy a new car. I do however want fuel injected (either old school or modern hemi), more bolstered seats, vintage air system, 4 wheel disc brakes, better suspension and upgraded but factory appearing radio system. Basically a restomod but more stock appearing.

Because I do daily drive all my cars and stock seats suck, no overdrive really sucks, drum brakes are ok, stock big block are slow, and stock suspension sucks....at minimum the restomod should be able to complete with modern charger

c00nhunterjoe

If i were to do a "modern" drivetrain, i would go with the 1st gen 5.7 hemi and nag1. Super easy to get a b body charger into the 11s with a smooth idle, ac, near 30mpg highway, and 2.80 rear gears. The 5.7s and nag1s are a dime a dozen and cheap to modify with bolton's.

Birdflu

Quote from: INTMD8 on May 27, 2019, 08:06:24 PM

I like both.   Would not complain about an original car or a well done restomod.

:iagree:

jefferson

Factory all the way. Nothing worse then seeing an old classic with modern stuff in it. But that's IMO.seen chargers all restomod and the only good thing. Is the body style as it's factory. Hahaha. But not my car so people can do whatever they want. No one else has the right to say a word. But I'll admit. I do have a fair bit of 70 stuff in my 68 so it's not fully factory but not modern either.. I'm still contemplating if I pull out the 70 seats and buy pearl white seats 68/69 seats to replace. But the 70 seats are comfy as . being a light metallic blue charger. I assume they came with either white or black interior?