News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Starting work on the interior

Started by green69rt, May 30, 2019, 05:20:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

green69rt

Well, this is not really the start since I've installed the dash but that's another story.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,127894.msg1591275.html#msg1591275

Being a glutton for punishment, I decided to start with the head liner.  First I need to install the head liner retainers.  For completeness, here's that thread.

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,130545.0.html

Then it's on to the dirty work.  Many have done this before me so I'll only show the highlights.  I did put all the screws in place before I started.
Pic #1 - The head liner in place with all the bows installed.
Pic #2 - To hold everything in place I went to Office Depot and bought a couple of packs of these clips.  $7.00 for a bunch.
Pic #3 - First round of tightening it up.
Pic #4 - Second round of tightening, notice anything wrong?  (hint, where's the dome light?)
Pic #5 - So, take it down and get the dome light wires pulled thru, I tried to do it without taking it down but I just couldn't make it work.  Back up again!

And that's where it sits today.  On to final pull and attach/glue it.  Wish me luck.

AmadeusCharger500

That looks really good. I did mine once only and it was about 20 years ago. I went through same hair pulling before gluing. It turned out superb in the end. Just think, you will have a new headliner that will last for years!

green69rt

Quote from: AmadeusCharger500 on June 27, 2019, 07:32:31 PM
That looks really good. I did mine once only and it was about 20 years ago. I went through same hair pulling before gluing. It turned out superb in the end. Just think, you will have a new headliner that will last for years!

It better last for years, not doing this again!  I really hate working over my head.

green69rt

Got the glove box hinge and door installed.   Inside rear view mirror mounted, visors intalled (they took a little work to keep them from falling down.)

Moisture barrier installed.  I just couldn't get the chalk rope to work right so used aluminum duct sealing tape.  That stuff sticks to everything but it will be hard to get off if needed.  That's life.  :shruggy:

AmadeusCharger500

Progress Looks great! Only you will know that duct tape is there, no one will see it, and it functions.

green69rt

Got some work done on the interior.  Upper door pads on.  That outside mirror remote was a little puzzle.  Mirror comes with a bezel, and a sheet metal washer piece to hold the nob.  No directions.  finally figured it out.  
Pic #1 the sheet metal piece that I'm talking about.
Pic #2 it has to mount from the back so it will hold the remote and keeps the threaded part of the nob from pulling thru the pad..  Bend the little tabs over to hold it in place, make sure to cut away the upholstery fabric under the tabs. There wasn't a lot of threads on the bezel to engage remote nob case so that fabric had to go (pic show the tabs on top of the fabric.)
Pic #3 now screw the bezel that holds the remote nob.  There is a special tool you can buy that keeps you from messing up the chrome.  A little expensive for only one use but it made things much easier.
https://www.classicindustries.com/product/all-years/dodge/all-models/parts/mf1737.html
Pic #4 Then all the lower pads, armrests and window crank handles.  
Pic #5 Now starting on carpet ( thanks to 69bfan, if you see this send me a invoice.)

green69rt

Got the front carpet in place today.  Slow going in the Houston heat and humidity.  Thanks again to 69bfan (check's in the mail  :D).  The carpet has been laying out for a couple of weeks.  And...installed, or at least, in place.  Still need to trim the doors and make holes for the seats, dimmer switch and gas peddle.  Resting now after three hours out in the garage.  Later folks. :icon_smile_wink:

kent

Look Great Mitch! :2thumbs:   Pace yourself in that heat!
Kent

VegasCharger

CDN72SE

1972 Charger SE

green69rt

Finoke

blakemon

green69rt

Quote from: blakemon on September 10, 2020, 03:24:02 AM
Nice work! Any updates and pics?

Well, since you asked...

Working on the buddy seat.  I've always assumed I would be reupholstering everything.  But, the buddy seat was in such good shape I decided to try to save it.  I started with the bottom section and cleaned it up real good with SEM vinyl conditioner.  Then a few coats of the black dye.  Then a little Armour All.  Pic 1 is the result.  The green piece is next.

I am trying to find the strap that covers the seam on the back of the arm rest but no luck so far.   Pic #2 is how my original looked.  Evidently Mopar coated a piece of plastic with some kind of texturing to make it look like the seat covers.

So I cut up one of my old seat covers and cemented it to the old plastic, pic #3.  Sprayed it with SEM black and, so far so good.  Pic #4, still need to dress it up with Armour All.  I still need those hinge covers that are shown on the right.  I think my chances of finding them are slim to none.

CFMopar

1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

HeavyFuel

Quote from: CFMopar on November 09, 2020, 01:56:46 PM
Can I ask why the vapor barrier?

Green69....I'm gonna chime in.

The factory did it to keep the water slipping past the whiskers and the glass from coming in contact with the door panel.  

The bottom edge of the plastic should be left unsealed and tucked into the door cavity slot for drainage.

CFMopar

Thanks...

Long gone on mine and I've never seen it before. Do you find a fair bit of water gets back there?
1971 Charger SE 440 automatic
2014 Ram EcoDiesel Laramie
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCCkKIkpXr-77fWg7JkeoV_g

green69rt

Quote from: CFMopar on November 10, 2020, 05:15:45 PM
Thanks...

Long gone on mine and I've never seen it before. Do you find a fair bit of water gets back there?

I really don't know if it's a lot but Mopar did go to some trouble to keep water out of contact with the upholstery so I'm tring to match their design, including the flat pice of fiber that goes in the rear corner of the quarter window and the vapor barriers.  Also make sure the drain holes in the bottom of the rockers are open.