News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

When do you say when?

Started by lloyd3, May 30, 2019, 07:33:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lloyd3

I took delivery on my car in late April of 1996.  That was 24-years ago by my figuring. I have driven and played and tinkered and fussed over it ever since. I just pulled the cover off of it and the 8(?) year-old Interstate battery was so dead it wouldn't even respond to the trickle-charger.  The battery cables are looking pretty worn and the terminals both need replaced. It's dusty and grimy and cramped. And.....somebody set something down on the trunklid and put a small divit in it through the cover.....dang-it!  The battery I got to replace the dead one doesn't have the posts on the proper side  and it looks funny.  You know...I think I'm done. The money I could get for it would do lots of nices things for other folks here and I'm pretty tired of worrying about it.

Whan is it time to say goodby?  Anybody know what a real (non-numbers matching, but Dana 60 and a 18-spline tranny) 68 R/T 440/4spd is worth these days?

VegasCharger

c00nhunterjoe

Mine will NEVER be for sale.

Kern Dog

I bought mine in 2000. It is "done" but always in a state of constant updates & improvements. I do not see a day when I will be tired of it.

Challenger340

Quote from: lloyd3 on May 30, 2019, 07:33:57 PM
I took delivery on my car in late April of 1996.  That was 24-years ago by my figuring. I have driven and played and tinkered and fussed over it ever since. I just pulled the cover off of it and the 8(?) year-old Interstate battery was so dead it wouldn't even respond to the trickle-charger.  The battery cables are looking pretty worn and the terminals both need replaced. It's dusty and grimy and cramped. And.....somebody set something down on the trunklid and put a small divit in it through the cover.....dang-it!  The battery I got to replace the dead one doesn't have the posts on the proper side  and it looks funny.  You know...I think I'm done. The money I could get for it would do lots of nices things for other folks here and I'm pretty tired of worrying about it.

Whan is it time to say goodby?  Anybody know what a real (non-numbers matching, but Dana 60 and a 18-spline tranny) 68 R/T 440/4spd is worth these days?

Yeah, sometimes being a Car guy can be frustrating......
Tough to say what it's worth without lots more details, pics, etc., etc. ?
But a '68 4 spd R/T could fetch LOTS ?   440K ? $50K ? $60K maybe ?  condition... condition... condition

That said,
don't do it if you think you will miss it, because whatever you get will NOT be enough to replace it later.
Only wimps wear Bowties !

b5blue

I've had mine 24 years. I've met 100's of guys who miss/regret their old Mopar. Think it over, many want your car. 

6bblgt

like others have said, make sure it's when "you say WHEN" and want to be done with it   :eek2:

non-technical WIW answer * 1968 Dodge CHARGER
- there are 22 completed auctions listed on eBay out of 53 listings, (some are duplicated BS) the average price is $27,800 & most completed auctions are projects * I feel your car should be worth 2X that @ $55,600 ballpark
- - none of the completed auctions are 440 4-speed R/Ts, but one is a claimed numbers HEMI 4-speed Charger R/T that "SOLD" for $87,600 * I feel your car should be worth 1/2x that @ $43,800 ballpark

* I would expect it to be  somewhere between the two ($43,800-$55,600 :shruggy:) for a nice quality driver with no major issues * short of a HEMI you have the most desirable '68 Charger out there (factory R/T w/4-speed)  :Twocents:

white

I got frustrated with my 68 years ago, so I just put it in storage for 1 year, started missing it so pulled it out of storage and finally finished it. Storage was alot cheaper than buying another charger.

70 sublime

Quote from: white on May 31, 2019, 03:38:35 AM
I got frustrated with my 68 years ago, so I just put it in storage for 1 year, started missing it so pulled it out of storage and finally finished it. Storage was alot cheaper than buying another charger.

This sounds like the best idea

If it is a money thing then it will still be worth $$ a year from now but like others said when it is gone it is gone so this way it gives you the option to drive it again f you change your mind
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

garner7555

If it is more of a burden than it is a source for enjoyment then sell it.    :Twocents:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

67440chrg

I am not current on the value. I have been frustrated and thought about selling mine before. Every time I do I end up cleaning it up,driving it and deciding I enjoy it more than I would get out of it. Mine is a 67 in good shape not a real nice 68 like yours. I would say clean it up drive it and see how you feel. Make sure before you jump.

paironines

I say when you are asking the question, then its probably time to sell. I sold my restored 69 R/T about 8 years ago and dont regret it although I do still have other Chargers so not quite the same situation. These cars dont define me as most dont know I even own them. Are you known as the Charger guy? Might be harder to sell listening to other locals who might know you bringing it up all the time.

Lennard

Quote from: b5blue on May 30, 2019, 10:43:24 PM
I've met 100's of guys who miss/regret selling their old Mopar.
Don't be that guy.  :slap:

chargervert

The market has never been better if you are going to sell. If it hasn't peaked yet,it will soon. I am going to sell my 70 Charger R / T  V code project car this year, so I don't miss the market.  As stated by others, don't sell it then try to replace it in this market.  Be sure that you are really ready to let it go before you do. I  have other Chargers, so cutting a few projects loose won't really effect me. I plan to get a used Hellcat Challenger 6 speed I can drive now, verses another project that I may never get done.

DAY CLONA

Obviously your at that stage in life that the "hobby" is no longer your passion, your just afraid of letting go... no crime in that, for some it's not a life long passion, people and priorities change....

If you do sell it, just don't be one of those sellers looking for a future automotive caretaker/guardian, just cut the cord, get your asking price, and be done with it so you can move forward to your new goals...  or just the release from your burden of caring for the car...

CDN72SE

Had mine 30 years, I would never sell it out of frustration, the only reason would be if my family needed the money from the sale of it as a last resort.

I would hang in there.
1972 Charger SE

Montclaire

Take the battery back and buy the right one for the car.  Eight years on a seldom used car battery is pretty normal.  Geez, would you move into a condo because your grass needed to be cut? 

Kern Dog

Not to pile on here BUT if you are looking for petty excuses to get rid of the car, the very things you mention will be no big deal to the next guy.

RECHRGD

After 21 years I sold mine last year.  I Don't miss it nearly as much as I thought I would.  Working on it wasn't fun anymore at my age and was tired of worrying about it all the time.  I didn't enjoy the attention while driving it and, in general, just lost my passion for it.  It's now bringing joy to a much younger guy and that's a good thing.
13.53 @ 105.32

alfaitalia

I can't believe my post offended anyone enough to delete it....the man was a knob and deserved it.....another site I frequent has started being a bit "big brother" and deleting posts that snowdrops might get upset by...dont let this forum go the same way please.
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Y1CHARGER

Instead of figuring try counting, it's 23 years, Not sure what "Whan" or "nices" means either.  reading this post sounds like someone is taking advantage of the legalization of pot in CO.   :rofl:  Too bad, looks like a nice car but if the owner is burnt out in more than one way, it's time to move on and sell the car to someone who cares. 

jefferson

Only had mine for less than a year. Wanted one ever since I was a kid. I love it more than anything. Well sorta hahaha. I will never ever sell it. Unless I had to for I guess financial reasons? :shruggy: but other than that. No chance. I love driving. I love stopping to feel up. Feels good driving away with a full tank of juice. I actually look forward to filling her up lol.
Also. Everyone I know. And a lot I read. Always end with. Wish I had kept my charger. Had one blah blah. Miss it. Should have kept etc..

TexasStroker

A battery and new cables is nothing, especially seeing how you've already got a battery.  Take it back, swap it, and order in some new cables.  If you aren't feeling up for it, find someone to help. 

Detail the car...put in a little work and appreciate it. 
Drive it.  Drive thru town, drive out in the sticks, get on it, take a corner, head to the track, hit a show.  If none of that gets you going, I suppose you are better off without it.

By all means though, go thru the paces with the car before you just sell it and regret it.  There is no reason to rush into anything.  Hopefully things get going and you will get back to enjoying your Charger.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!

lloyd3

I appreciate all the feedback folks, thank you.  My personal life is my bigger problem, not the car.  My marrage is still rocky and my 15-year old is driving now.  Space for cars in my driveway (and garage) is at a serious premium these days.  And...he's absolutely stricken anytime I even mention getting rid of the car, although I know these cars are simply not safe in modern Denver traffic anymore.  Drum brakes and 6-lanes of combat traffic is a receipe for disaster with an inexperienced driver.  I've talked it over with my family and they want me to wait at least a year before revisiting selling the car.  So I just went out and rolled up my sleeves and fixed the battery problem.  It also appears that my power steering pump is low on fluid.  I was in a very bad place the other day when I wrote my first missive, my health, my work, and my marrage are all very challanging at the moment. The car caught me at a low point and I just felt overwealmed.  Forgive me, but it all seems a bit better today.  God willing, I'll continue to soldier on.

Mike DC

Give the car a (power) front disc brake conversion.  It's reversible, just put the original front brake gear in storage.  Even the most basic F/J/M spindle swap type of deal is a huge improvement over front drums.

The car isn't THAT heavy.  A typical 15x7 radial tire isn't THAT slippery.  Give it tolerable brake hardware and it will stop tolerably well.