News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Flood cars

Started by b5blue, May 31, 2019, 11:22:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b5blue

With record flooding across Texas and north eastward I wonder how many have lost or suffered damage to all the vintage cars throughout these areas?  Would such situations be covered by insurance?  :shruggy:

Aero426

Quote from: b5blue on May 31, 2019, 11:22:05 AM
 Would such situations be covered by insurance?  :shruggy:

Depends on what kinda insurance 'ya got.   Unless your policy language specifically excludes it, yes, it would be covered by comprehensive.  

Ghoste

Many will turn up at auctions up north.

green69rt

In the Houston newspaper there was a picture of an old airport runway filled with flood cars.  I think the article said that the insurance companies dumped them there for auction.  As many as 30,000 in the one picture.

Aero426

Quote from: green69rt on June 04, 2019, 06:48:42 AM
In the Houston newspaper there was a picture of an old airport runway filled with flood cars.  I think the article said that the insurance companies dumped them there for auction.  As many as 30,000 in the one picture.

The biggest crowd that Texas World Speedway ever attracted.

Birdflu

That's unimaginable even with a picture!  :rotz:

chargerperson

Quote from: Aero426 on June 01, 2019, 09:27:05 PM
Quote from: b5blue on May 31, 2019, 11:22:05 AM
 Would such situations be covered by insurance?  :shruggy:

Depends on what kinda insurance 'ya got.   Unless your policy language specifically excludes it, yes, it would be covered by comprehensive.  

I regrettably learned the hard way, yes, policies cover this.  Just had my claim finally settled this morning.  Freak flash flood during a rain storm last year and my car was in water up to the lower part of the seats for a few hours. 

Car was only two years off a full restoration and it is now "new" for a second time with everything new except for the paint.  700 hours later and $20k of parts, I have a newly restored car again after three years.  Claim process was not without aggravation but ultimately a very large, over $100k, claim was paid and car appears to be new again.  I say appears because I have not seen or driven it yet as I am traveling.  Pick it up Friday or Saturday this week.

b5blue

Ghoste

Hope it goes well for you.  Floods can really do a number on cars (everything else too)

chargerperson

Quote from: Ghoste on June 06, 2019, 05:46:47 AM
Hope it goes well for you.  Floods can really do a number on cars (everything else too)
Thanks.  Car is brand new again on a bright note though t only had 1967 (seriously - I drive it another .5 mile when I parked it) when the shop (it was there for some minor work) had the water issues.  Lots of new parts again and the body is fine. 
Amazing what a few hours of water up to the seats can do to a car

67440chrg

Shame someone couldn't put it up on blocks or stands before the water got to it. Sometime s**t happens fast. I hope it is all as good as new now.

chargerperson

Quote from: 67440chrg on June 06, 2019, 02:15:01 PM
Shame someone couldn't put it up on blocks or stands before the water got to it. Sometime s**t happens fast. I hope it is all as good as new now.

Thanks for the reply.  Water incident unfortunately happened over the weekend.  There were over 100 cars in the shop so I wasn't the only one.

Picked car up over the weekend - good news, the car is like new again (restoration finished in 2015)!

b5blue

chargerperson

Quote from: b5blue on June 12, 2019, 07:28:35 AM
Any pics?  :cheers:

Some pictures on day of arrival back from the redo

b5blue

69rtse4spd

Highbanked Hauler

Quote from: Aero426 on June 04, 2019, 09:00:32 AM

Yes its a sad that many cars got flooded out Its also a shame that track fell by the wayside along with others. I had heard the track grounds were plowed up and planted to houses,a huge subdivision..
69 Charger 500, original owner  
68 Charger former parts car in process of rebuilding
92 Cummins Turbo Diesel
04 PT Cruiser

odcics2

Quote from: Highbanked Hauler on June 23, 2019, 01:38:30 PM
In the Houston newspaper there was a picture of an old airport runway filled with flood cars.  I think the article said that the insurance companies dumped them there for auction.  As many as 30,000 in the one picture.

Yes its a sad that many cars got flooded out Its also a shame that track fell by the wayside along with others. I had heard the track grounds were plowed up and planted to houses,a huge subdivision..

Pics of cars at TWS was due to Hurricane Harvey.  Here's the Youtube clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UagU2-L0Qe4

Track closed in 2017.  

Google shows it is still there - https://www.google.com/maps/search/texas+world+speedway+location/@30.537102,-96.2259789,1448m/data=!3m1!1e3

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on June 23, 2019, 02:45:55 PM
In the Houston newspaper there was a picture of an old airport runway filled with flood cars.  I think the article said that the insurance companies dumped them there for auction.  As many as 30,000 in the one picture.

Pics of cars at TWS was due to Hurricane Harvey.  Here's the Youtube clip - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UagU2-L0Qe4

Track closed in 2017.  

Google shows it is still there - https://www.google.com/maps/search/texas+world+speedway+location/@30.537102,-96.2259789,1448m/data=!3m1!1e3

Current footage from this year of Texas World Speedway.   Portions of the banking are knocked down, asphalt being reclaimed and new road construction through the outfield road course on the backstretch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hea8n1ctwGI

moparstuart

Quote from: Aero426 on June 25, 2019, 04:01:02 PM
Quote from: odcics2 on June 23, 2019, 02:45:55 PM

Track closed in 2017.  

Current footage from this year of Texas World Speedway.   Portions of the banking are knocked down, asphalt being reclaimed and new road construction through the outfield road course on the backstretch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hea8n1ctwGI

WOW  being reclaimed  fast   
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Aero426

Quote from: moparstuart on June 25, 2019, 04:53:57 PM

WOW  being reclaimed  fast   

Definitely.   It took some time for the local approval process for developing the property for residential.    In the meantime, they leased it to Copart for the flood cars.

Those videos were from February, so I am sure more have taken place.    They already knocked down 2 of the three garage areas.    If you want to know what Michigan would look like as a ghost track, this is pretty much it as the tracks are nearly identical twins.     MIS actually did fail, but Penske came in and bought it.   

Birdflu

Kinda eerie watching the videos...they have a 'Day After Tomorrow' feel to them! It's what it would be like if we were all instantly vaporized!  :pity:

Aero426

Quote from: Birdflu on June 27, 2019, 11:19:51 AM
Kinda eerie watching the videos...they have a 'Day After Tomorrow' feel to them! It's what it would be like if we were all instantly vaporized!  :pity:

In the early 1990's the track was bought by a Japanese investment firm.   The tack was repaved and attempts were made to bring big time racing back.    This is what it looked like then.   Interesting race with ARCA and Winston West, plus Earnhardt, Waltrip and Ken Schrader starting from the back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRMK6E736D8