News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

IGN Switch dropping from 12 to 9 when key is turned?

Started by Miliman1983, May 31, 2019, 01:17:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Miliman1983

Hello I have seen a lot of topics dealing with dropping voltage . I have tried to find where I'm loosing 2 v but have come up short so far. I first noticed this when my rear blinkers started acting very weird very dim and also the flasher acting very sluggish. I removed flasher took hot from bat + to flasher then from other side of flasher to red wire to feed turn signal , everything worked perfectly. I now I'm needing help on what to check to find my missing 2 v after my switch is turned on

b5blue

What car? Key location and harness varies gen to gen/year.

Miliman1983

1969 Dodge Charger key is bottom right of steering wheel.

Gold Rush

I just went through something similar with my '74 SE.  Noticed the alternator was putting out too much voltage which I eventually ran down to the regulator reference voltage (come from ignition switch) being way low.   Come to find out the switch was probably original and dropping 1.52 volts across the run contacts.  New switch cured the issue.  I bet you will see something very similar.  ::) ::)
24 years USAF, 25 years consumer electronics repair technician.  Now I ride a Honda Goldwing trike and wrench my latest project.  Children and Grandchildren are gown so I have to find other places to spend my time and money!

Miliman1983

It did accur to me that the switch would be the likely source of the loss. I will try that if no one else on here has any other options. Thank you for your input

John_Kunkel

Where are you measuring the 2V drop? Right at the switch or somewhere downstream? What are you using for a ground when measuring?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Miliman1983

Battery negative. Then I have taken measurements at the red wire on the turn signal , then I took a measurement at the headlight switch back probing the connector. So basically the system will loose two volts when the ignition is on and headlights are on all the way . I'm not loosing my mind hopefully because if a system is rated for 12 vdc it shouldn't drop from a switch being activated