News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ignition Problems

Started by Dmichels, June 01, 2019, 02:10:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dmichels

440 mild build Mopar electronic ignition Accel supper coil and orange box. I am having an intermittent issue with my ignition cutting out while driving. I installed this conversion over 20 years ago all splicers were soldered. This setup worked fine for years with the vintage orange box. The box died about 2 years ago and I replaced it with the current production. I have read that these units may have issues. I noticed immediately that the car ran a little different. I also notice it missing slightly at times. The problems have now become more noticeable. The ignition will cut out while cruising for about 3-4 sec and then come right back on. There is no pattern to this it is usually while cruising under light throttle. The tac goes dead  but the radio still works so I still have power to the dash. It just shuts off and then on. I changed out the ignition switch as it was a little sloppy.  I have checked for bad connections at the bulkhead and all other connectors. Box is grounded. This morning I swapped out the ballast resister, problems are still there. I am leaning toward a bad box.  I bought a HIREV 7500 from Jegs because it is made in the USA and has some good feedback from what I have read about it. I know there are some "better" choices but money is a little tight right now. Any feed back or comments / suggestions.
As always Thanks
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

BLK 68 R/T

Try disconnecting your tach. I seem to remember reading a while back someone had a tach that was causing ignition problems.

Dmichels

Thanks great idea I have read about that. I will try that tomorrow I want to do this one step at a time until I isolate the issue. Its very annoying
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

b5blue

While it's running try reaching around under the dash and moving the harness around to check for intermittent loose connection. (See if wiggle test has any effect?) FYI I had a new defective switch a few years back.

Dmichels

Thanks for the ideas. Please keep them coming sometimes the solution is the most obvious. This problem is not affected by bumps turns or acceleration. It seams to happen most at light throttle cruising. It cuts out for exactly the same 3-4  seconds every time. The frequency when it cuts out is completely random. It may not happen for 10 min then I will get 2 happen within 30 seconds of each other. This is not a misfire it is a complete loss of ignition. I am afraid to test drive it any more until I get a spare ignition box. Next to check is disconnect Tac then Hot wire ignition to eliminate a wiring issue. Last will change out the box. From What I understand the distributor pick up coil rarely goes. I have checked the air gap.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Just 6T9 CHGR

Is that Acell coil going on 20 years as well?  I'd swap that out as well...maybe its on its last legs?
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

Dmichels

Just wanted to follow up with an update It turned out to be a bad ignition module. I was always under the belief that either they work or don't work. The JEGs made in USA house brand works well so far and is easy on the wallet.
Dave
68 440 4 speed 4.10

Just 6T9 CHGR

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

69wannabe

Yep, sadly the orange boxes these days are junk. Put a brand new one on my buddy's car and it died in about 3 months. Another friend of mine had an older orange box that went out and he had a spare new one that only lasted 2 weeks. Hopefully the jeg's boxes are good and last awhile since they are affordable and buying an extra one wouldn't break the bank. The rev a nators seem to be good but they are pricey. I am currently running a mopar chrome box and it's been on there a few years with no issues but I do keep a spare in the glove box because you just never know.......

Just 6T9 CHGR

I have been running FBO's box for a few years now with good results as well.....made in the USA!

http://www.4secondsflat.com/Ignition.html

Chris' '69 Charger R/T