News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

18 Spline A833 Rebuild / Upgrade.

Started by mr. hemi, June 02, 2019, 08:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr. hemi

I have a 18 spline A833 that is in need of refurbishment. It is a spare for me and I have advertised the VIN to see if it could be reunited with its original car, no luck. So now I am looking at refurbishment for a spare or future project.

What I would like to know, is of any member's experience with the Passon 4spd. overdrive conversion for an 18 spline. This trans has been scavenged for pieces over the years so needs a bit beyond bearings and synchros. The Passon overdrive kit, while pricey, would supply a lot of the missing components.

Is there merit to pursuing this for a future big block project?

Cheers.
You know you are vintage when someone says, "Back in the day", and you can dispute their facts.

Troy

Well... if I were putting in a Passon OD gearset I would use a cheaper trans to start with (23 spline case) OR one of Passon's aluminum cases. Passon or Brewer's can rebuild that trans for probably less than what it costs to put in the gearset (depends on what all is missing) and it will be worth a whole lot more than a similar 23 spline (so again, use the cheap one to mod). I've heard good things about the gearset (mostly by autocrossers) but I recall some people complaining about the gear spread or something. Maybe the final drive? I'd have to go back and look. I just run 28" tires and 3.23 gears behind my non-OD boxes. I can still do block long burnouts and drive 70+ mph on the highway.

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Rolling_Thunder

Agreed - you can probably source what is missing fairly easy - rebuild it then sell - then get a cheap 23 spline and get the passon gearset to swap in -- that could be my course of action....

I have dealt with Passion before with good results and no complaints - no experience with their 18 spline OD gears though
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip