News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Christine's Daytona y otro cosas. Everyone is Welcome Here in This "Sandbox"

Started by 426HemiChick, June 02, 2019, 12:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

426HemiChick

Quote from: 70 sublime on June 12, 2019, 04:59:16 AM
Your 3 cars packed in the garage
Have you ever cranked the motors over in 40 years to make sure they are not stuck ??

Hi 70 sublime,                     12 June 2019

We used to but haven't in several years. My Crown Vic sat outside for 8 years and tried to start when I cranked it over. It couldn't start because the fuel pump was dead. As I was testing it before replacing the pump, it fired up and ran on rotten 8 year old fuel that was in the fuel rails. That stuff was rotten smelling.

We'll crank her over by hand a couple of times before using the starter. We'll also have her out of the garage. She will wake the neighborhood as the exhaust from the headers back is gone. I doubt there is anyone here that has heard her except us.

We're looking forward to having her running again by the end of the month. The RR and SB engines are disassembled so they aren't an issue at the moment.

The RR's tranny is in the Daytona so I want to get them swapped ASAP. The SB has our spare hemi K member in it. The RR has it's original Hemi K member. The Wedge K member for the SB is on the shelf waiting to go home. We also need to swap the rear axels and suspensions between those two cars. Also need to restore the ring and pinion back to 3.23 in the RR from the current 4.89.

There's a bit of work that needs to be done; We've done it before and we'll do it again.

Thanks for the post.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

cdr

There was NO reason to bring up the Trans issue in the 1st place , I dont care what you are, if you make it ALL about BLA BLA BLA I am a Trans then you are going to get BLA BLA BLA from people, when I post on a forum I dont say HEY I am a Heterosexual, I am a man, I like women & I have a 1968 Charger, just be you & let others be themselves, it will be a lot less stressful in Y'alls life.  :Twocents:  Have a great day & enjoy your life.
LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

held1823

The fact that a link, to one of my threads on Susan's Place, was posted on this site tells me there are some here who would wish us ill will. In this case it didn't work because I am proud of who and what I am.

You are dead wrong. I posted that link, and did so for the exact reason it gives on that same post. the story had flipped and flopped to the point of being unbelievable, capped off by flat out lying when asked about the name associated with ownership of this car. i admit to thinking this was all bs from the start, and it was that post regarding the owner's name that iced the cake for me. your post from the link i shared, with a date prior to your appearance here, was the first indication that all of this might actually be true. this was also about the time you dropped the ruse, and as you can see, multiple people changed their opinions, along with their posts prior to this time.

not one person here has attacked your life choices since the ruse ended. you decided beforehand that some would negatively focus on the lifestyle, and that has turned out to not be the case. the post i replied to, with that link you bring up here, was calling this a train wreck from the twilight zone, all brought on by the constantly changing story. the link was shared to show that your latest twist was perhaps not just another round of bs to a narrative you chose to spin. any perceived ill will is solely within your head.

the text from that offending revelation is copied here...

every daytona and its ownership history are interesting stories that deserve to be shared, and each is worthy of being its own chapter in this "book".  this car is no exception, and dare i say one of the more unique histories regarding a daytona, a coveted hemi version at that, we shall ever see.

it may be true that some are here to only learn about the cars themselves, but any car history involves the people that owned that car. no one criticizes me including the family ownership history on my thread, nor chastises john for the stories that makes up not one, but two of the best threads on this forum. it is irrelevant if the cars are driven, or simply tucked away for decades. what is important is that each missing piece of the puzzle is solved. this thread certainly brought another piece of that puzzle to the table.

i would have found this a more amazing tale without the drama and deception. i can also understand how the lifestyle might make the owner hesitate to share it. it was/is possible that someone "lifted" the story and brought it to life here, and the falsehoods early on made that seem all the more probable. the "change" in writing style after dropping the charade certainly offers this story far more credence and makes it believable, at least for me.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

BS27ROB

Quote from: cdr on June 12, 2019, 08:42:58 AM
There was NO reason to bring up the Trans issue in the 1st place , I dont care what you are, if you make it ALL about BLA BLA BLA I am a Trans then you are going to get BLA BLA BLA from people, when I post on a forum I dont say HEY I am a Heterosexual, I am a man, I like women & I have a 1968 Charger, just be you & let others be themselves, it will be a lot less stressful in Y'alls life.  :Twocents:  Have a great day & enjoy your life.
I agree, on the home Forum list it states "Aero Cars A place to share the history and other information about all aero cars (including clones and other makes).", it really doesn't matter what your sexual orientation is, nor is it appropriate.

62 Max

And for what it's worth,the the two post's above mine are dead on !!  :Twocents:

6bblgt

RM21J 8A 266061
H4X PPI T5 SG 040I

H4X = high grade bench seat interior "BLACK" (the car has the Road Runner "décor group")
PP1 = "RED" lower & upper body mon-tone paint style
T5 = transmission 395 - torqueflite automatic
SG = sure-grip
0401 = "Scheduled Production Date" Monday 4/1/68

save any removed/replaced parts  :Twocents: DO NOT return them as cores to the parts store

BeatersRus

Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 12, 2019, 03:29:00 AM
Hi BeatersRus,                        12 June 2019

The Mustang you saw in our driveway is an 87 Notch Back coupe. Sold it Yesterday so it's gone.

Yesterday, we received a new power steering High Pressure hose and new Alternator bracket assembly, both for the Daytona. We are making progress. We should have them installed soon and have the Daytona ready to run.

We will hire someone to help us dismantle the overhead door, remove it in sections from the top down. Once it's out of the way we can pull the Daytona out, change the oil and filter, Pre-lube her, install a new battery, fuel her and fire her up. We expect her to run just as she did 40 years ago. We should have her running by the end of this month.

Once she is out we can reposition the RR and SB, replace the tires,  clean them up, finish cleaning the garage, install a new lightweight door and tracks and put the cars away for another 40 years. I may be 79, but I'm still planning to be here.

Forgot to mention, we had a pretty cool 75 Dodge W200 Power Wagon with a 440 in it. It was a nice truck; sold it in 2015. The only problem it had was it never saw a gas station it didn't like. Its Vin: W24BD5S013284.

Best Always

426 Hemi Chicks
thats very good news.
as others have pointed out,save any and all parts you remove.
i and the rest im sure,eagerly await the current pics of the cars and their return to sunlight.

and again,i dont care about your gender race sexuality or the size of your periscope,or pending ambitions to rid yourself of it.
all i care about is the history of the Cars,how they are now,and hopefully they end up in good homes. :Twocents:
i did enjoy the stories you have shared with us about the cars.
ty.

426HemiChick

Quote from: 6bblgt on June 12, 2019, 01:37:32 PM
RM21J 8A 266061
H4X PPI T5 SG 040I

H4X = high grade bench seat interior "BLACK" (the car has the Road Runner "décor group")
PP1 = "RED" lower & upper body mon-tone paint style
T5 = transmission 395 - torqueflite automatic
SG = sure-grip
0401 = "Scheduled Production Date" Monday 4/1/68

save any removed/replaced parts  :Twocents: DO NOT return them as cores to the parts store

Hi 6bblgt,                       12 June 2019

Thanks for the info and decode. I guess you could say I'm a pack-rat. Unless it's for some mundane car, I keep everything.

The RR must have barely been on the lot when we showed up. The only thing missing from the car when we bought it was the small Hemi emblem on the trunk lid. At the time I was glad it was. I had the dealer put 383 emblems on the hood.

Numerous times people would say: "That sure sounds good for a 383." My response was always: "Thank You; yes, it does sound good" and left it at that. Every once in awhile I'd see someone bend over and look under the car. The orange oil pan was a dead  giveaway along with the K member skid plate, the torque boxes on the rear spring perches, 15 inch wheels, chrome exhaust tips and for auto trans the oil cooler visible through the grill. And, yes, there was no mistaking the sound.

I miss those days of Sunoco 260 for 39 9/10 cents per gallon. Burned a lot of it in the 4405 miles I put on her.

When I tore her down I did find one problem that did not manifest itself until the teardown. A frozen wrist pin. Fortunately, Hemi's had floaters. if it had been a pressed pin all hell would have broken loose.

The new rods I have for the 440 are bushed and the new pistons have floating pins.

Thanks amigo for your help,

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

chargervert

Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 11, 2019, 06:39:18 PM
Quote from: chargervert on June 11, 2019, 04:03:04 PM
The Superbee did have a tic tock tach. I hear what you are saying about having to store them in tight spots.  I often have one up on the lift and one parked under it for storage.

Looks like birds of a feather flock together.

Is that a Daytona on top and a Charger below? Looks like you have quite a collection and actually do things with and for them, unlike me letting them sit for 40 years. I'm sure you derive a lot of pleasure working on them and bringing them back to there original glory. You're a true collector.

The car on the lift is a Charger R / T body with a Daytona kit that includes an original Daytona wing. The body is mounted on a circa 2005 Laughlin Nascar chassis.  The chassis was built by a Nascar shop in North Carolina. The car will be powered by a 472 Mopar Performance Hemi engine, with an Edelbrock top end kit, and FiTech dual quad fuel injection. It has a Tremic 5 speed transmission and a full floating 9 inch rear axle.  The plan is to build a 200 mph stock car that I can drive on the street.  The car below the Daytona stock car project, is a matching numbers 440 Sixpack Charger R / T.  I was making some progress on the Daytona stock car project, but my engine builder has had my engine for six months, and hasn't started to work on it yet.

426HemiChick

Quote from: chargervert on June 11, 2019, 04:03:04 PM
The Superbee did have a tic tock tach. I hear what you are saying about having to store them in tight spots.  I often have one up on the lift and one parked under it for storage.

The car on the lift is a Charger R / T body with a Daytona kit that includes an original Daytona wing. The body is mounted on a circa 2005 Laughlin Nascar chassis.  The chassis was built by a Nascar shop in North Carolina. The car will be powered by a 472 Mopar Performance Hemi engine, with an Edelbrock top end kit, and FiTech dual quad fuel injection. It has a Tremic 5 speed transmission and a full floating 9 inch rear axle.  The plan is to build a 200 mph stock car that I can drive on the street.  The car below the Daytona stock car project, is a matching numbers 440 Sixpack Charger R / T.  I was making some progress on the Daytona stock car project, but my engine builder has had my engine for six months, and hasn't started to work on it yet.

Hi chargervert,                                   13 June 2019

The stock car sounds interesting and quite a large project. From your post we're assuming you won't be racing on a track, just the street. If you plan to sell tickets for rides we'll take two. Our bet is tickets to drive it will not be on sale .... ever.

Good luck with the projects; you definitely have more ambition than we do.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Did a bit of rooting around in our Daytona parts stash. Found the Tick-Tock-Tach still in the box it was in when it was bought from a gentleman named Rusty Cunningham of Louisville, KY. We had never opened the box until today.

If you recall, we mentioned that the small HEMI badge for the 68 RR trunk lid was missing when we bought it new. We found just such a badge lying in the bottom of the Tick-tock-Tach box.

Decided to buy new weenies for all three cars, 15" steel rims for the RR. It currently has the set of mags that were on the Daytona when we bought it. Getting the cars out of the garage, new door and new weenies all around is going to be a big project that will have to be well coordinated. Weather will have to cooperate big time.

We hope to have the Daytona running soon. hopefully before the end of the month. Have the Power steering HP hose and the Alternator bracket.

This may seem mundane compared to what many of you do on a regular basis. Us older babes no longer move at lightning speed.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hello Folks,                             18 June 2019

Mopar John was asking about a Super Bird 440 Six- Pack/Six Barrel Air Cleaner Top. The attached photo is of our early 1969 Super Bee 440 Six-Pack air cleaner top.

The verbiage on the bottom line of the top decal above the Chrysler Corporation Parts Division says:

EVERY YEAR. SERVICE MORE FREQUENTLY UNDER SEVERE
                           CONDITIONS.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                               19 June 2019

We have made a change in our plans; the Daytona will be ready to run but we are NOT going to start her. She is 50 years old, has been sitting 40 years, was last started about 20 years ago, maybe longer ago. The rubber hoses and other lines are suspect. All four tires had to be replaced, two are done and the last two will be done today. The old ones are in the trunk of our daily driver and will be headed for Discount Tire in the AM. They are bought and paid for just have to have them mounted.

We tested the Hemi to make sure the crank, pistons, rods etc. are free. We put a 1 1/4" socket on the bolt in the snout of the crank/damper, a 1/2' drive U=Joint and a short half inch drive ratchet. Only took reasonable pressure to turn her over; there was NO sticking.

When this lady's turn comes for a nut and bolt restoration, then and only after, might it be time to fire her up. Right now the risks outweigh the rewards. It wouldn't be prudent to crank up the Hemi just to hear her run. She did run some years ago, we have had possession of her since 1972. There's absolutely no reason to start her now. If something were to happen and God forbid she blew her engine because of some mundane item, a tremendous amount of her value would be lost. It's not going to happen on our watch.

She will be restored and a crate engine and tranny installed. Her original engine and tranny will be restored as well and will be on display with her. As long as we own her she will never be driven on the highway. We are going to do the same for the Road Runner and Super Bee.

62 Max

Quote from: 426HemiChick on June 19, 2019, 03:13:17 AM
Hi Folks,                               19 June 2019

We have made a change in our plans; the Daytona will be ready to run but we are NOT going to start her. She is 50 years old, has been sitting 40 years, was last started about 20 years ago, maybe longer ago. The rubber hoses and other lines are suspect. All four tires had to be replaced, two are done and the last two will be done today. The old ones are in the trunk of our daily driver and will be headed for Discount Tire in the AM. They are bought and paid for just have to have them mounted.

We tested the Hemi to make sure the crank, pistons, rods etc. are free. We put a 1 1/4" socket on the bolt in the snout of the crank/damper, a 1/2' drive U=Joint and a short half inch drive ratchet. Only took reasonable pressure to turn her over; there was NO sticking.

When this lady's turn comes for a nut and bolt restoration, then and only after, might it be time to fire her up. Right now the risks outweigh the rewards. It wouldn't be prudent to crank up the Hemi just to hear her run. She did run some years ago, we have had possession of her since 1972. There's absolutely no reason to start her now. If something were to happen and God forbid she blew her engine because of some mundane item, a tremendous amount of her value would be lost. It's not going to happen on our watch.

She will be restored and a crate engine and tranny installed. Her original engine and tranny will be restored as well and will be on display with her. As long as we own her she will never be driven on the highway. We are going to do the same for the Road Runner and Super Bee.
[/quote

I know all about the age thing,hope you have enough time left,it took me roughly 8 yrs pr car,can't do another one ! :2thumbs:

chargervert

It's nice to see you are getting out in the garage and making progress on the cars!

6bblgt

unless there are major issues with any of these three cars - a restoration would NOT be a recommended course of action

I don't believe there is another presentable/unrestored "survivor" quality HEMI Daytona on the planet - that's where the value is!  :Twocents:

:2thumbs: preservation NOT restoration

chargervert

I have to agree with 6bblgt on that one.  I would probably freshen the mechanical systems on the car,put the original transmission back in it,and the nosecone assembly back on it,and leave the rest of the car as is. If the other two still have original paint,then I would do the same to them as well.

HANDM

I third the motion to get them running and drivable and leave the restorations for the ones that need it, these cars have been preserved and are much more interesting as genuine survivors....

Birdflu

Quote from: HANDM on June 19, 2019, 08:27:19 PM
I third the motion to get them running and drivable and leave the restorations for the ones that need it, these cars have been preserved and are much more interesting as genuine survivors....

:iagree:

426HemiChick

Hi Folks,                         19 June 2019

Took the rear wheels to Discount Tire this AM. They looked at the wheels and tires and said they couldn't mount the new tires on the old rims. They were Too wide, like 9.5 inches. We have to agree the old tires are wide. They sure looked nice on the Daytona. They were originally on the Hemi Cuda when we got it.

Since they wouldn't mount the tires we bought, they tried to sell us an expensive alternative. We told them we only need tires so we can move the car around until we have it running. We finally compromised and went home and looked through our stash of parts. Found 6 steel rims, the first two were 15 X 6 J wheels so we treated them to a good shower and scrubbing. Took them up, they mounted the tires and back we came. Our immediate problem is LUG NUTS. Never had any for the Daytona, it had mag wheels when we got it. The lug nuts for the mags won't work; they barely work with the mags.

Do any of you know of a good on-line source for OEM style lug nuts for these cars? We need 20 left thread and 20 right thread. That will take care of the RR and Daytona. We also need 10 left and 10 right for the SB OEM style chrome nuts. We probably have the originals somewhere, just don't want to go on a "search and destroy our sanity mission" looking for them.

Don't yet know what the other four wheels are. They have been in the attic way to long to remember what size they are and where they came from.

One mistake made years ago, aside from letting the Cuda go, was tossing out stock parts that were replaced with aftermarket stuff. A lot of stuff went by the wayside.

Last item, aside from the mid 70's when we were in gas crisis mode, we have only tried to sell them twice, 1987 and 1988. In 87 we were asking 50K for the three. Got cold feet after receiving many calls telling us we were not asking enough for them. The next year we received an offer of 300K. After that we decided we'd just keep them. You need to understand we really don't know much about the market for these cars. Yes, we have seen Daytona's sell for big bucks. We've seen restored Daytona's sell for really big bucks. Our Daytona originally came from Ohio, which is not known for a climate conducive to steel bodied vehicle longevity. She has a lot of surface rust under the chassis but no rust through. There's a small pin hole in the top of the right front fender just aft of where the nose ends and the fender begins. The backlight plug is rusted but serviceable. We do have a NOS factory plug. The guy we bought it from had two; should have bought them both.

We're just wondering why restoring her would be a bad idea. The last thing we want to do is ruin her.

Thanks in Advance for any info you can provide us and thanks for the posts and advice.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

6bblgt

I'm from Ohio & understand what condition they may be in - but they are only original once & many cars "restored" in the '80s & '90s would be worth more today if they were left alone - instead of looking for that better than factory paint job & shiny bottoms

pictures of those 15x6.0" wheels would help to ID them including the date stampings near the valve stem - correct originals for the Daytona & Super Bee are the same, the '68s are a little different
they are all hard to find 50 years later & can be $200-$500 a piece

IMO the HEMI Daytona is worth more as it sits (unless there are major issues not yet discussed) than it would be after spending $100K on a rotisserie restoration
a thoughtful preservation by a wing car b-body expert wouldn't be as costly & would increase the car's value

for example: it would be a shame to restore that A12 air cleaner lid & install reproduction decals just to eliminate a few scratches/dings

birdsandbees

NOS left and right lug nuts are available from AMS Obsolete in GA for $120 a set. www.amsnos.com   parts@amsnos.com
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

NHCharger

I would go thru all the mechanicals on the Daytona and replace anything suspect.  Then drive it. That car would be killer at any car show.
I attend Chrysler's at Carlisle ever year. It's funny to watch the amount of people that will flock to a car similar to your Daytona versus a fully restored one. They both get a lot of attention but there something about a time capsule like your Daytona.  Even if it's not all original.
72 Charger- Base Model
68 Charger-R/T Clone
69 Charger Daytona clone- current moneypit
79 Lil Red Express - future moneypit
88 Ramcharger 4x4-moneypit in waiting
2014 RAM 2500HD Diesel

426HemiChick

20 June 2019

My Apologies to Everyone Here on DodgeCharger.com Forum

I want to apologize for the post I made right here on 11 June 2019. I had no business writing it and my S.O./Girlfriend warned me to not post it. I did anyway and I do regret that I allowed my judgment to sink into the sewer. That being said I have no excuse, none whatsoever for what I did.

All I can do is remove the cruddy post and promise to 
never repeat making such a stupid rotten post in the future.

I take full responsibility for the post. The Love of My Life Warned me that it was crude and should NOT be posted. I posted anyway. This apology and the need for it rests fully on my shoulders and should NOT reflect on Her in any negative way.

You folks have been very cordial and have treated us/me very well in spite of my crude remarks. I thank You for that; you didn't have to but you rose above me and my ignorance.

I Sincerely Thank You All,

Christine Jessica Hernández (aka Chet Headley) For The:

426 Hemi Chicks

djcarguy

In every case i know of the the mag nuts will work fine to hold a steel rim ,just for rolling an loading a car. You sure have some neat old mopars.i was 10 when the winged monsters came out and saw a few new ones.

i would buy a running big block an get the s-bee running an safe for some drive time.but thats just my thing. All the best,DJ way out west  :cheers: :popcrn: :drool5: :2thumbs: