News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Christine's Daytona y otro cosas. Everyone is Welcome Here in This "Sandbox"

Started by 426HemiChick, June 02, 2019, 12:16:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Moparpoolman

If you're just using the oil filter while priming with a drill and not running the engine at temperature, does it really need to be the best filter on the market?   :shruggy: I don't think so.  Also another thing to note is that when priming with the drill, I think there's a sequence like start at Top Dead Center then a quarter turn after running the drill until a full revolution is made, maybe someone else can add to this.   :shruggy:

426HemiChick

Hi Moparpoolman, ACUDANUT, 62 MAX, Chargervert, NHCharger,                 02 July 2019

Thank you all for the information and method for flushing the oiling system.

Yesterday, I went to my NAPA dealer in Grapevine and bought a Gold NAPA Filter 1515 made by Wix. That filter will be the one we put on the DC's Hemi after we complete the oil flush.

Today we removed the old filter, an AC PF20. That had to be from when I had the Arco station from Sept 1972 - Jan 1975. It was a bear to get off. The old rubber gasket must he swollen thrice it's normal size.

Installed the Fram Ultraguard we bought at Wally World. The oil (orl in Texas) we bought at WW is Castrol GTX 5W - 20. Just using it for the flush. When we are done with the flushing we'll let her sit a spell and then drain her again and remove the Fram filter. Once we are certain she is completely drained, we'll put the Wix/NAPA filter on, pre-filled of course, and then fill the crankcase with the Green Oil; think we'll use the 20W - 50. We'll run the pre-lube sequence with this oil and then put everything back together so she will be ready to go when we decide to fire her up again.

Thanks for all the information, most of which I had forgotten and some I didn't know until you supplied us with the crucial information.

Until today I had forgotten how much of a pain it is to change the filter on that car. I did put a flexible soft plastic probe in through the oil drain hole to see what I could find in the pan; just a very small and thin amount of black oily residue. When I was driving her she got an oil and filter change about every 1000 miles. The reason I did this is when the original owner had the Hooker headers installed, the dip stick was removed and the hole for the dipstick plugged. Since I couldn't check the oil I figured 1000 miles was a good marker for a change. Every so often I'd measure what came out to get an Idea of oil consumption. It was always nil.

Thanks again folks. We really do appreciate you all taking the time to share your knowledge, experience and wisdom with us.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

BeatersRus

i keep coming back hoping for more Pics as you are going thru the cars.
the history of the cars being shown in pics as they gradually come back to life. :2thumbs:

i truly hope you are documenting everything as you go,if only for your own records and memories later.
sincerely,Rob

426HemiChick

Quote from: BeatersRus on July 02, 2019, 10:34:01 PM
i keep coming back hoping for more Pics as you are going thru the cars.
the history of the cars being shown in pics as they gradually come back to life. :2thumbs:

i truly hope you are documenting everything as you go,if only for your own records and memories later.
sincerely,Rob

Hi Rob,                          02 July 2019

We will have more photos as soon as we can get the cars out of the garage. That means the new door replaces the old one.  We're trying to round up two more 15 X 6 steel wheels. May have to bite the bullet and settle for something that fits so we can have all three on the same tires.

I'm rapidly realizing it takes me longer to do the things I used to do when I was 45 years younger. I don't move as fast as I used to nor do I get down and up as quickly as I did. I'm beginning to think this is a young man's gig. It wasn't that long ago that I was in the police academy (2004) and learning how to climb, rig and cut large trees (2010). No longer a cop, climber, rigger or sawyer. My brain is starting to reconcile itself to the fact that my body is not 25.

We have a bunch of stuff we are going to post as soon as my S.O. can get it all scanned and in a format that will allow you all to print quality copies that will be as close as possible to original.

Here it is 2211 hrs MST and I'm still cooking supper. I Know, this is another mystery that will take some "Splaining" another day.

Take care and thank you all.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks
Veteran - US Navy  Ex-Smoker (05 Mar 69) 55 years, heading for 100, 45 to go. Still lots to learn, lots to make up for. Weren't no angel. Fugitive from Southlake TX's Kangaroo Court

Montreal Wing Car

Sorry to barge in this thread, I don't post much, as I don't own a Wing car anymore, but I like to keep informed on them...
I last logged before this thread startd, and just went through all 12 pages, and must say it is one of the strangest/ interesting/ entertaining I have seen on any forums!
Your personal and automotive histories are definitely unique, and I admire the fact that you were able to hold on to your cars and are enjoying life as you please regardless of anyone's opinion!
Please keep posting, I look forward to more stories about the cars!

Ben

426HemiChick

Quote from: Montreal Wing Car on July 03, 2019, 10:34:45 AM
Sorry to barge in this thread, I don't post much, as I don't own a Wing car anymore, but I like to keep informed on them...
I last logged before this thread startd, and just went through all 12 pages, and must say it is one of the strangest/ interesting/ entertaining I have seen on any forums!
Your personal and automotive histories are definitely unique, and I admire the fact that you were able to hold on to your cars and are enjoying life as you please regardless of anyone's opinion!
Please keep posting, I look forward to more stories about the cars!

Ben

Hi Ben,                         03 July 2019

Welcome to our Unconventional thread and hope you stay; no apologies necessary.

One of the things I need to do is to quit referring to my Partner as my S.O. She is the Most Significant Person in my life. She has saved it three times and had it not been for Her, I wouldn't be on the green side of the grass today. From now on I am going to refer to Her as my M.S.P.

I should have done more with the cars and taken better care of them. Most of my working career was spent traveling and living away from home for protracted periods. Not a way to protect those assets. Please don't give me any credit for being smart enough to keep them all these years; it was Dumb Luck and a desire to hang on to something that is the source of happy memories and times .... and a few that were of my own making that remind me of things I wish I hadn't done and cannot fix. For another time.

Just getting them to the point where we can get them out of the garage safely is a larger project than I realized at the outset. The garage door is a major disaster looking for a place to happen and something to destroy.

I rarely went into the garage and when I did it was to put something in there or to look for some oddball tool. What got us started was we got a call from a collector that heard we had the cars and wanted to come and see them. I told him there was no point in coming as there was nothing to see except stuff piled all over them plus 40 years of Texas dust.

We decided we should clean the garage and get to where we could see what condition they are in. They all had flat tires, tires that for the most part are 50 years old. The front tires of the Daytona were the worst. They had literally rotted and had fallen apart. That big old Hemi did add a lot of stress on those front weenies. They are history now, she's sitting on 4 new tires though for the moment jack stands in front so we could change the oil, filter and assess what it's going to take to reinstall her original tranny, which has been out of her since sometime in 1974.

She has the Hemi Road Runner's tranny, which was modified for racing (reversed shift quadrant, manual shift and fast hard gear changes). Fortunately she didn't get too many miles put on her with that tranny installed.

I did all the swapping myself but that was 45 years ago; I think my physical abilities have moved a bit south since those days. I'm not sure how I'm going to handle removing the RR's tranny from the DC and putting her own back in. I'm not sure I'm up to that much of a task. Once I have the oil task finished, I'll access the situation and decide how to proceed. One thing for certain, it's crowded in our garage. I may try to get her up high enough that I can work on the tranny with the aid of a transmission jack. I have no plans of doing this outside the garage nor is the Daytona going to leave this place.

I recently had a tool bag stolen from my property because I left it outside and when I went out to get it, it was gone. This isn't the first time something like this has happened. Whoa be the person I catch stealing something from me. It won't be pretty but it will send a message to the next fool.

Thanks Ben for your post and the nice comments. We both love your post and have had a bunch of chuckles from your description of our thread. You are welcome anytime and any subject, and that goes for everyone.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

CRW-FK5

Certainly an interesting thread and cars.  Why no update pictures though?  Seems so odd to me that as enthusiastic as you are about these projects and cars that you haven't provided any progress pictures, even if it's just general stuff.  Seeing even simple tasks like changing a tire can allow us to, in some way, share in your adventure.  Instead, we're just get excuses. 

As much as I want to embrace the story I find it very tough to get past the fact that there are still several things making me skeptical about the whole thing, lack of update pictures being one of them.  Another one is how did you change the front tires in the Daytona when it looks like (from your only pictures) that there would be no way to even get a tire off without backing out one of the cars, which you've indicated you can't do because of the broken garage doors. 

Hope I'm wrong.  Love to see the cars someday.  But story is definitely unusual, to say the least.

426HemiChick

Quote from: CRW-FK5 on July 04, 2019, 08:49:51 AM
Certainly an interesting thread and cars.  Why no update pictures though?  Seems so odd to me that as enthusiastic as you are about these projects and cars that you haven't provided any progress pictures, even if it's just general stuff.  Seeing even simple tasks like changing a tire can allow us to, in some way, share in your adventure.  Instead, we're just get excuses. 

As much as I want to embrace the story I find it very tough to get past the fact that there are still several things making me skeptical about the whole thing, lack of update pictures being one of them.  Another one is how did you change the front tires in the Daytona when it looks like (from your only pictures) that there would be no way to even get a tire off without backing out one of the cars, which you've indicated you can't do because of the broken garage doors. 

Hope I'm wrong.  Love to see the cars someday.  But story is definitely unusual, to say the least.

Hi CRW-FK5,                                04 July 2019

I understand the frustration of not seeing photos.

To change the tires on the CD We jacked the front up and placed small jack stands under the lower control arms. The right side was relatively easy as that's the side where there is a space wide enough to shuffle sideways through. It is wide enough to get the tire off and the new one on. We do open the door about 18 -  24 inches, just enough to keep the door from going over the cars. There's about 5 inches between the RR and CD on the CD's driver side. With the car up we turned the wheels all the way to the right, That gave us enough room to remove the left front tire and to put the new tire on. The new tires are not the fat monsters that were on her.

The rear tires were another story, the rims were 9.5 inches and the tires were G50 - 15, big fat Goodyear meats. We had to raise the rear of the car high enough to roll them out from under the car; they were too wide to take them off in a normal way. The new tires are on 15 X 6 steel Chrysler rims. Still had to roll them under the car to get them on. It was a bear to do it. I had to crawl on the filthy floor to get to the tire, which was sitting on our floor jack (Milwaukie Hydraulics), Jacked the tire up enough to where I could slide the jack and tire over enough so I could lift it and get it on the rear hub and line up the studs with the holes in the rim. I was skinned up and bruised (on Blood thinners). Once that was done we lowered the car in stages as it was too high to bring down all at once. We raised it in stages.

There wasn't much to see in the process of changing the tires or changing the oil and filter. The only thing that made changing the oil and filter somewhat easy is the nose is off the CD. I took it off 40 years ago so I could trailer it. When I took it out of storage I had to back it onto the trailer. That was a tough drive from there to my folks house, which I used as a staging area for moving the cars to Texas.

The first oil is in the Hemi. In a day or so we'll pull the distributor and gear so we can run the oil pump with a drill motor while at the same time turning the engine over slowly by hand so that clean filtered oil gets to every nook and cranny. Two revs per one distributor rev. Everything will be marked before we pull anything apart. This will be repeated once the green oil arrives.

Hopefully, within the next two weeks we'll have the old garage door off, the cars out of the garage, a new door installed, the garage cleaned up, new tires on the SB and RR, the cars washed and back inside. At that time we will take photos of all the goings on.

If anything remains outside for the night, I'll be out there with my trusty 870 and 000. Just think of this as the strangest most unique garage/barn find. Yes, they were in my barn for awhile when I lived in Ohio 40 years ago.

Thanks for the interest and post. I'm not much of a photog, so I rely on my M.S.P. to fix my photographic flubs. One day in the not too distant future there will be many items and photos posted on this thread.

I also don't move as fast as I once did; I'll hit 79 in a few weeks. Getting old ain't for sissies.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

ACUDANUT

A Little less talk and a lot more action (pictures) . Enough of the excuses please.

426HemiChick

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 04, 2019, 12:54:07 PM
  A Little less talk and a lot more action (pictures) . Enough of the excuses please.

Hi ACUDANUT,                  04 July 2019

Happy 4th of July young lady.

I believe you are about 17 years my junior. When you get to be as old and raggedy as I am, you'll know why thing here don't move as fast as you and I would like them to.

Take care dear, and have a great day. If you happen to have a few M80's set a couple off for us.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

ACUDANUT

I will guess your age. 75.  Since you were 18 in 1962 (you said uncle same was drafting then). NOPE

426HemiChick

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 04, 2019, 02:08:04 PM
I will guess your age. 75.  Since you were 18 in 1962 (you said uncle same was drafting then). NOPE

Hello young lady,                      04 July 2019

I was born in 1940; I was 22.5 years old when I reported for the draft Monday 21 January 1963. I fooled them and joined the Navy. The Navy fooled me by requiring me to stay four years instead of the two I would have had to serve had I gone into the Army. That was OK because I became an engineer instead of a digger of foxholes and a sniper's target.

When I separated from the Navy in December 1966, I had to reregister for the Draft. Still have my draft card.

Thank you for the 75 guess, that makes me 4 years younger than I'll be next month.

I can't understand why you think there was no draft in 1963; the last year for the draft was 1973.

One of the nice things about living in this country is you can believe anything you want to believe.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

HANDM

ACUDANUT

As it still stands today. Everyone has to register for the draft at age 18. But officially no one was called up and forced into service until late of 1968.   Do your homework, try google, and or your history books to prove me wrong. You claim in 1962 Uncle Sam came calling when you were 18.  I call Bullshit. I am a History Major. Period...  Now you claim your 4 years older, So Uncle Sam came calling 1966 ?. Your Still full of bullshit.  I wish more people here would call you out, but not many do not know their own history.
I don't believe anything you say for now on.

BeatersRus

Quote from: HANDM on July 04, 2019, 04:02:57 PM
:popcrn: And ready for the next installment!
ikr...i just wanna see pics of these cars,in the time Capsule positions they are in,
While they are being brought back to life.

not after they get yanked out or cleaned up,erm...wait a second...well yeah then too !!  :smilielol:
but,i like seeing them as -is,it inspires us to go find these cars and save them.

i Really dont care about proving they are yours....thats up to who-ever finally buys them.
this thread has been a trainwreck and theres no end to that in sight.
just post the pics please and thank you.

6bblgt

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 04, 2019, 11:03:22 PM
As it still stands today. Everyone has to register for the draft at age 18. But officially no one was called up and forced into service until late of 1968.   Do your homework, try google, and or your history books to prove me wrong. You claim in 1962 Uncle Sam came calling when you were 18.  I call Bullshit. I am a History Major. Period...  Now you claim your 4 years older, So Uncle Sam came calling 1966 ?. Your Still full of bullshit.  I wish more people here would call you out, but not many do not know their own history.

by what "loophole" are you making that claim?

I know my dad & his older brother were drafted in 1961 & 1959 respectively, both served - luckily after Korea & before Vietnam (though Dad was packed & ready to head for Cuba in an Armor Division).  My dad's younger brothers' numbers didn't get called during the "lottery". They all had friends that were drafted, served & did not survive Vietnam.

Elvis Presley was DRAFTED in 1957 he served 3/58 to 3/60
Muhammad Ali (Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr.) was DRAFTED in 1966 & arrested in '67 for refusing induction

none of the above happened voluntarily

HANDM

As it still stands today. Everyone has to register for the draft at age 18. But officially no one was called up and forced into service until late of 1968.   Do your homework, try google, and or your history books to prove me wrong. You claim in 1962 Uncle Sam came calling when you were 18.  I call Bullshit. I am a History Major. Period...  Now you claim your 4 years older, So Uncle Sam came calling 1966 ?. Your Still full of bullshit.  I wish more people here would call you out, but not many do not know their own history.

Obviously you know everything about everything so from now on just keep your keyboard quiet so we can all remain uninformed
::)  ::)

ACUDANUT

Quote from: 6bblgt on July 05, 2019, 02:17:22 AM

by what "loophole" are you making that claim?

I know my dad & his older brother were drafted in 1961 & 1959 respectively, both served - luckily after Korea & before Vietnam (though Dad was packed & ready to head for Cuba in an Armor Division).  My dad's younger brothers' numbers didn't get called during the "lottery". They all had friends that were drafted, served & did not survive Vietnam.

Elvis Presley was DRAFTED in 1957 he served 3/58 to 3/60
Muhammad Ali (Cassius Marcellus Clay Jr.) was DRAFTED in 1966 & arrested in '67 for refusing induction

none of the above happened voluntarily

I was referring to Vietnam, not Korea or WWII

held1823

i posted the selective service website data regarding the draft about two pages back.

our history major has determined that he knows more about the draft than the selective service itself

here again, is the link that proves him wrong a few million times

https://www.sss.gov/About/History-And-Records/Induction-Statistics

some people are just determined to be assholes.
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Daytona R/T SE

:popcrn: I've been watching this thread.  :scope:

We really need more pictures of the cars.  :scratchchin:

Especially the Daytona. :2thumbs:

426HemiChick

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 06, 2019, 08:39:24 AM
Without going to the Library dickhead, here you go. https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=G6QgXaScBpvctAbuloLYCw&q=when+did+they+draft+for+vietnam&oq=when+did+they+draft+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i22i30l4.1089.8552..10223...0.0..0.245.3927.0j11j9......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0j0i3j0i131i70i251.LFFO7_xW5-I

Good Morning young lady,                          06 July 2019

I did exactly as you requested and read the article in the link you supplied. Please go back and re-read the complete article. Here is a portion of the article from that link:

History of the Draft

Conscription during the 1960s took place under the legal authority of the peacetime draft, because the United States never formally declared war on North Vietnam. Legal authority for a peacetime draft came from the Selective Training and Service Act of 1940, signed by President Franklin Roosevelt in order to mobilize American civilian-soldiers in anticipation of entry into World War II. During the Korean War, the Selective Service began the policy of granting deferments to college students with an academic ranking in the top half of their class. Between 1954-1964, from the end of the Korean War until the escalation in Vietnam, the "peacetime" draft inducted more than 1.4 million American men, an average of more than 120,000 per year. As part of their Cold War mission, many state universities required ROTC training by male students, although campus protests caused administrators to begin repealing mandatory ROTC in the late 1950s and early 1960s.

President John F. Kennedy, who began the escalation of the American military presence in Vietnam, also defended the peacetime draft and the Selective Service in 1962 statement, stating that "I cannot think of any branch of our government in the last two decades where there have been so few complaints about inequity." One year later, the Pentagon acknowledged the usefulness of conscription, because one-third of enlisted soldiers and two-fifths of officers "would not have entered the service if not for the draft as a motivator." The Selective Service also authorized deferments for men who planned to study for careers labeled as "vital" to national security interests, such as physics and engineering, which exacerbated the racial and socioeconomic inequalities of the Vietnam-era draft. Of the 2.5 million enlisted men who served during Vietnam, 80 percent came from poor or working-class families, and the same ratio only had a high school education. According to Christian Appy in Working-Class War, "most of the Americans who fought in Vietnam were powerless, working-class teenagers sent to fight an undeclared war by presidents for whom they were not even eligible to vote."

The article is not well written, which makes misinterpretation a distinct possibility.

I did not quote the complete article though I would recommend that you go back and read it again.

I am 17 years older than you, I'll officially be 79 next month.

Have a great day young lady.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks

held1823

Without going to the Library dickhead, here you go. https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=G6QgXaScBpvctAbuloLYCw&q=when+did+they+draft+for+vietnam&oq=when+did+they+draft+&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i22i30l4.1089.8552..10223...0.0..0.245.3927.0j11j9......0....1..gws-wiz.....0..0i131j0j0i3j0i131i70i251.LFFO7_xW5-I

are you too dense to comprehend that the very link YOU provided proves you wrong?

you are focused solely on the vietnam years, as evidenced by your search query

those just happen to NOT be the only years there was a draft.

history major, my ass
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

426HemiChick

Dear ACUDANUT,                          06 July 2019

Please do yourself a favor and try to read the complete article in the link you provided. Granted, it's not well written but it does explain that President Roosevelt signed the Selective Training and Service act in 1940. That law was in continuous force from 1940 through 1973 when the draft was finally ended, though registration is still required.

Please take a step back, do a little more homework and believe those of us that served in the military and/or had family that served. We were there so we ought to know.

Now, as for calling me a dickhead, what makes you think that's what I am? I know, we have free speech in this country. I kind of remember serving in the military with many other folks to help protect that right. But, we didn't serve so you could decide to degrade someone just because they don't agree with something you wrote, said or think.

I would recommend you NEVER call me or my M.S.P that or any other slanderous term to our face; should you choose to do so, I'll let you figure it out. ¿Comprendes?

Please think seriously about this next quote by any number of famous people: "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt."

Your continuous carping on the subject of the draft is self defeating and demonstrates your inability to read and comprehend the written word. Please stop embarrassing yourself. As for being a history major, you must have studied the "History of Fiction."

Last but not least, please see a doctor, you are having way too many brain Farts.

Take care Young lady.

Best Always,

426 Hemi Chicks