News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HEMI68CHARGER Press Release #614 426 HEMI Charger 500 Restoration

Started by hemi68charger, June 03, 2019, 11:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Hey gang..

Thought I'd start the "official" thread on the restoration of the Press Release 1969 Hemi Charger 500, car #614, built in the 1st batch of Charger 500's for Press Release action at Creative...  The car has been off the radar for an extremely long time. but now it will shine again. Of the 6 original PR C500's, this is the only known-whereabouts 727 auto car. The 1st 6 consisted of 3 manuals and 3 727's. The most famous of the cars, and best preserved, is Richard's #610 PR C500 seen in many publications. All 6 where pretty much built identical except for the tranny's of course (and with that the differentials). I believe all were destined to get the W23 "Recall" Wheel, but none apparently left Creative Industries. The evidence for this is the examples of the photos of the cars in publications and none had the W23 wheels. They had instead either the Monoco/Polara full wheel cover or black steelies with hub caps. It is with confidence that Rchards's #610 and my #614 car were at the Bud Lindemann C500 video and it was my car in the action videos, the 727 center console is obvious. And, another cool fact is the broadcast sheets for #610 and #614 were swapped into the other car when the technicians reinstalled the rear seat cushions in the conversion process, 50 years later, they were reunited !!!

Here is the thread when I bought and brought home the #614. Link to buying thread and Bud Lindermann new Charger 500 video

Here, I and my friend Dave, undertake pulling the drivetrain and front suspension out from under the car in preparation for paint & body..

1. snapshot of the Lindermann video
2-5. various process shots
6. front bumper and lower valance removed..

Enough for a hot & humid Texas weekend..

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

taxspeaker

Very cool Troy. Thanks for the pictures and will watch the story!
Bob

hemi68charger

Quote from: taxspeaker on June 03, 2019, 11:53:44 AM
Very cool Troy. Thanks for the pictures and will watch the story!
Bob

See your future issues of Mopar Collector's Guide... hint hint.....
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

tan top

good stuff  , looking forward to seeing pictures & up dates  etc :yesnod: :popcrn:
Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mytur Binsdirti

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on June 04, 2019, 05:58:31 AM
It's not done yet?   :shruggy:

You said you were coming over this weekend to do your magic,,,, you were a no-show....... What gives?  :icon_smile_big:
Troy

chargervert

C500

Will be following this with interest  :popcrn: ... I thought you concluded your 500 was not the one in the action shots from the Bud video because of the 6 way seat?
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

hemi68charger

Quote from: C500 on June 04, 2019, 10:23:22 PM
Will be following this with interest  :popcrn: ... I thought you concluded your 500 was not the one in the action shots from the Bud video because of the 6 way seat?

When I said that, and can't place when/where I did, it wasn't from the Lindemann video. It doesn't show that part of the front seat. Spoke to Richard who owns #610 and both our cars were at the photoshoot/video. I am on the hunt for some really nice Monoco/Polara wheel covers.. I have one nice one now. The 4 that are with the car, well, they have seen better days.. As you can see here, #614 didn't lead the pampered life like Richard's #610 car ( which is all survivor )... I asked him if wanted to trade back seats to get his ( which is in mine ) back in his car ( which mine is in ).....  :icon_smile_big:
Troy

Dragon Slayer

I see the MC was off, what was casting number on bottom? 

hemi68charger

Quote from: Dragon Slayer on June 05, 2019, 08:41:39 AM
I see the MC was off, what was casting number on bottom? 

Off the top of my head I don't recall the complete number, but it started with something like 34******, so it is a later-model master cylinder and not proper.. So, there will be a hunt for that one....
Troy

Dragon Slayer

I have one if you want to PM me.  Already SS Sleeved, with correct cap.  Just needs the kit to complete the rebuild. 

nascarxx29

1969 R4 Daytona XX29L9B410772
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23UOA174597
1970 FY1 Superbird RM23UOA166242
1970 EV2 Superbird RM23VOA179697
1968 426 Road Runner RM21J8A134509
1970 Coronet RT WS23UOA224126
1970 Daytona Clone XP29GOG178701

hemi68charger

Big benchmark reached today, car totally on rollers... Drivetrain AND rear axle out.... I believe I will tackle the engine compartment next...
Troy

Mytur Binsdirti

Before you strip the paint off, how much are you going to be asking for all that barn-find dust?

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on June 09, 2019, 05:55:39 AM
Before you strip the paint off, how much are you going to be asking for all that barn-find dust?

Not going to sell.. May try to up-trade Presss-Release-Hemi-C500 dust for Hemi-Daytona dust.... Or,  I'll sweep into a ziplock and submit to the Smithsonian Institute or US National Archives...   :icon_smile_big:
Troy

hemi68charger

Mo parts off, mo parts in..

Thanks to Clint for the great parts at a great price:

1. Complete jack with current decal
2. K-member to rad. support bracket
3. Felt that is often forgotten or unknown on the jack anchor in the interior wheel well.

Collecting missing items and taking parts off for the paint job.
Troy

Mytur Binsdirti

I hope you have a big place to lay everything out. As many of us know, a completely disassembled car takes up a lot of real estate.

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on June 19, 2019, 08:16:54 AM
I hope you have a big place to lay everything out. As many of us know, a completely disassembled car takes up a lot of real estate.

I have a 4-car garage with just the Daytona occupying space now...... So, have the shelves up to store things, will separate the motor and tranny soon and put the motor on the engine stand to start detailing it and the suspension components...
Troy

gtx6970

Troy,
I gotta ask.
You going to keep this one I hope. Makes a nice garage mate for the other one

hemi68charger

Quote from: gtx6970 on June 20, 2019, 10:28:09 AM
Troy,
I gotta ask.

As people who really understand what I'm doing and have actually seen my "Troy-trades" from the over time, I have always increased the rarity and/or pedigree of my "next" car(s)..... Regarding Chargers, don't think I can go much higher than this one...... So, unless there was some bada** Superbird in my future, this one will share the garage with the Daytona for a very long time..........
Troy

gtx6970

Quote from: hemi68charger on June 20, 2019, 11:17:02 AM
Quote from: gtx6970 on June 20, 2019, 10:28:09 AM
Troy,
I gotta ask.

As people who really understand what I'm doing and have actually seen my "Troy-trades" from the over time, I have always increased the rarity and/or pedigree of my "next" car(s)..... Regarding Chargers, don't think I can go much higher than this one...... So, unless there was some bada** Superbird in my future, this one will share the garage with the Daytona for a very long time..........

Cool,
To me the only step up would be an original  Hemi wing car

hemi68charger

Charger 500 disassembly continues..
Thanks to Dave Points, was able to tackle getting more parts off the 500 in prep for paint/body. Front doors are shells, all glass out along with molding.. Good Saturday.. Also got some NOS parts for the endeavor.. Thanks Allen Vasut for the solenoids.  I have a correct one on my current Daytona 426 Hemi... I will replace the cover on it and use it on this original j-code 500. I will use one of these on the Daytona with the correct bracket that Scott Smith reproduces for the 426 Hemi......   :2thumbs:
The car is turning out to be much more solid than I anticipated.. 👍
Troy

hemi68charger

Couldn't help buy polish up some of that original R4 red under the back glass.. The rear plug and front  window area looks great...

May have to be out on the look out for a service company for the power window motors....
Troy