News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HEMI68CHARGER Press Release #614 426 HEMI Charger 500 Restoration

Started by hemi68charger, June 03, 2019, 11:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

aerolith

Fast work there Troy!
Glad to hear the main-man is on the case too (Julius) lol.

Wonky grilles are the way forward... :slap:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

hemi68charger

Hey gang.. Accomplished another milestone this weekend; the blasting and delivering of the car to the body shop.. My last project Superbird took freaking 6 months or so.. This time, a weekend..
The car is pretty much what I expected.. Really solid in places and not so much in others.  But, it can all be fixed. 
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi68charger

Some more stripped and delivered..
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

mopar346

hemi68charger

Quote from: mopar346 on October 01, 2019, 08:34:17 PM
Very nice, dustless blasting?
High pressure water with crushed glass, the only process I have been exposed to that actually cuts through the thick sound-deadening undercoating.
Troy

hemi-hampton

C500

I stripped as much sound deadening off as I could by hand and got it blasted on rotisserie using garnet. Blasting does a super nice job  :drool5: Nice work, love seeing your updates  :2thumbs:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

Mytur Binsdirti

mopar346

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 01, 2019, 10:15:52 PM
Is warping a risk with this method? LEON.

No, I have one and the metal is literally cold immediately after blasting. It is an awesome process that is very effective and cleans a much wider section than a typical blaster, they main challenge I have found is the clean up afterwards but I use regular blast sand. Think about when you sand blast you can blow loose sand out of nooks and crannies, with the water blasting it's literally mud, terrible to get out of things like rockers. I have relegated mine to panel blasting and the exterior of the car and stay out of the inside and seal areas up that concern me. It is incredible the way it works and much cleaner not to mention it uses much less sand/media. They only other thing that concerns me is the whole thought of spraying water on bare metal, just a metal thing I guess. We have blasted using the "hold tight" chemical and left panels outside for 2 weeks with little ill effects.

Troy, how was the glass on clean up, that might be the ticket, looking at your blast pictures I did not see nearly the mess I'm left with.

hemi68charger

Quote from: mopar346 on October 02, 2019, 05:25:18 AM
Troy, how was the glass on clean up, that might be the ticket, looking at your blast pictures I did not see nearly the mess I'm left with.

It is my understanding and how it was explained to me is there will always be some residual media in the nooks and crannies of a car. Sand will usually attract moisture and clump easier whereas the crushed glass doesn't.
Troy

70 sublime

How much fun is it going to be to weld a new trunk floor in way up inside the car ?
Do you know any midgets ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

mopar346

Quote from: hemi68charger on October 02, 2019, 05:55:00 AM
It is my understanding and how it was explained to me is there will always be some residual media in the nooks and crannies of a car. Sand will usually attract moisture and clump easier whereas the crushed glass doesn't.

Thank you, great info and the explanation makes sense.

bad88t-top

Looks great Troy.   Me of all people appreciate a high quality restoration.  I can't wait to see this one progress.
TX9 70 Charger RT: 6 pack, 4 speed, A33 Saddle interior, red stripe
EB7 70 Charger RT SE: PS, PB, PW, PSunroof, Defogger, Air, loaded
FC7 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, white longitudinal, black vinyl
EB5 70 Charger RT: 440 4 speed, Dana, B5 interior, white long stripe
EB5 70 Charger RT SE: V code 4speed A34, charcoal interior, loaded
F8 69 Charger: Power Sunroof Car
13 Duramax 2500HD: Tow Rig
17 Durango RT

odcics2

Quote from: mopar346 on October 02, 2019, 11:46:35 AM
Quote from: hemi68charger on October 02, 2019, 05:55:00 AM

Thank you, great info and the explanation makes sense.

Although both silicon based, sand is porous, whereas when heated and turned to glass, the water holding pores go away!   
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Mopar John

Troy,
It looks like they did a great job in a short amount of time!
But with those big compressors in the pictures I also have to ask if you had any warpage?
MJ

odcics2

Troy -
Since your car originally had a 727, but has a 4 speed hump in it, maybe it was converted by Chrysler, Day 1, to replace the hemi 4 speed 500 press car that was stolen/recovered in Watts, all stripped out ?   :shruggy:

Moparpoolman

Troy, where did you get those door jam supports?  The look like they would be very helpful for a convertible?  Are they needed with a hardtop car or are you just using because you have them? Thanks

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on October 02, 2019, 03:14:51 AM
How long did the entire blasting take?

We dropped it off on Saturday morning, he didn't really get going I believe until about 11am.. He finished Sunday afternoon... He brought in reinforcements..

Quote from: odcics2 on October 07, 2019, 05:21:36 PM
Troy -
Since your car originally had a 727, but has a 4 speed hump in it, maybe it was converted by Chrysler, Day 1, to replace the hemi 4 speed 500 press car that was stolen/recovered in Watts, all stripped out ?   :shruggy:

The car was being converted at the salvage yard the car was found in back in the Carolinas..

Quote from: Moparpoolman on October 07, 2019, 06:59:41 PM
Troy, where did you get those door jam supports?  The look like they would be very helpful for a convertible?  Are they needed with a hardtop car or are you just using because you have them? Thanks

The supports were part of my friend's rotisserie system.... I believe it helped in rigidity. Not sure how it would have been without them...

Troy

hemi-hampton

I think the door jamb supports are a good idea on any car, convertible or not. These cars flex to much if stock from the factory. just my  :Twocents:  LEON.

Ghoste

Troy -
Since your car originally had a 727, but has a 4 speed hump in it, maybe it was converted by Chrysler, Day 1, to replace the hemi 4 speed 500 press car that was stolen/recovered in Watts, all stripped out ?   :shruggy:

Interesting thought.

odcics2

Quote from: Ghoste on October 08, 2019, 05:22:56 AM
Troy -

Interesting thought.

Why would a salvage yard do a conversion?   Usually, they are trying to make money, not spend it...    :shruggy:

Ghoste

Agreed.  And if anyone associated with it did it with an eye to keeping the car for themselves, they would have done that.

hemi68charger

Quote from: odcics2 on October 08, 2019, 01:29:24 PM
Quote from: Ghoste on October 08, 2019, 05:22:56 AM
Troy -

Interesting thought.

Why would a salvage yard do a conversion?   Usually, they are trying to make money, not spend it...    :shruggy:

I don't know why, that was about 1982..I'm sure they had parts laying around and to convert it to a manual tranny would have been more attractive to buyers. Not all cars that end up at a salvage yard are destined to be scraped... All I know is that is where it was, some used car joint/salvage yard.. They were in the process of converting it to a 4speed and a General Lee (hence why is was painted orange). No one at the time, there, even knew what the heck it was... It was just a '69 Charger to them..
Troy

hemi68charger

So it begins..  The cutting out of bad sections... The shop worked on removing the trunk floor this week and waiting on the sheetmetal I ordered...
Troy

70 sublime

Interesting to see the lower edge of the window plug and how un straight it was hacked off to mate up to drain gutter around trunk opening
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green