News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HEMI68CHARGER Press Release #614 426 HEMI Charger 500 Restoration

Started by hemi68charger, June 03, 2019, 11:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hemi68charger

Quote from: odcics2 on April 14, 2020, 11:12:51 AM

Door handles?  I don't need no stinking door handles!   :lol:

well, that may be for a 1970 Charger... :-)
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

Wakko

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 12, 2020, 04:33:22 AM

Isn't that the guy that somehow managed to trade a fake 2009 SRT Challenger (was a V6 with an engine cover on it) for a really nice Superbird clone with a 426 Hemi in it?  Pretty sure he got away with it too. 

Those bumpers look great, do you sharing what it set you back to have them done versus replaced?  My bumpers are straight but not so pretty.  The car will be a driver, so I don't need concours, but dont' want to buy China junk if that's what the new ones are.
Ian

'69 Basketcase, bluetooth powered

Boynton 236 F&AM

hemi68charger

Quote from: Wakko on April 14, 2020, 11:58:30 AM

Those bumpers look great, do you sharing what it set you back to have them done versus replaced?  ...

I paid $920 for the bumpers and bumperettes... Many of the other shops around here were wanting to charge between $650-750 per bumper !!! I was told that the AMD units are so bad, but always prefer to have my originals. That is why they have my door handles. I believe I'm going to take them my inside door handles as well along with the door window vent glass base. I just took delivery of the window vent frame kit by Tony's parts.. They look great...
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Mytur Binsdirti

No updates for 10 days. Can someone close by perform a wellness check?

:yesnod:

mopar346

Last activity on the site was 6 pm yesterday, so he was at least well enough to post. Not sure his business but I'm shutdown so personally accomplishing a lot in the quarantine. Unfortunately feeling guilty about every non-essential dollar I'm spending. Stay safe folks.

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: mopar346 on April 25, 2020, 05:26:46 AM
Last activity on the site was 6 pm yesterday, so he was at least well enough to post.

I wasn't thinking about Troy, I was referring to the car.

:icon_smile_big:

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on April 25, 2020, 06:11:52 AM
Quote from: mopar346 on April 25, 2020, 05:26:46 AM
Last activity on the site was 6 pm yesterday, so he was at least well enough to post.

I wasn't thinking about Troy, I was referring to the car.

:icon_smile_big:

Ohhh,, Well,,

I got all the brake and fuel lines, fuel tank, straps, hardware, new window vent frames from Tony's, having the original exterior door handles, vent window frames, interior door handles all rechromed and making a list for Legendary. That puppy won't be cheap with those cloth/vinyl seat covers. Also got a new window motor for the power window system to see how that will work with brand new motors.. So, a lot going on, just not on the car yet.... This working full time from home is cramping my style in messing with the car.
Troy

hemi68charger

Nice self-indulgence day today working on my 500. Went and got my original door handles, both inside and out, from the rechrome shop here in Houston.. I prefer to go the extra mile and get the original components rechromed. The handles came out great. Cleaned up the latch linkage and even saved the original black gaskets. Fits and looks perfect. Addition.. Man, that Charger fuel cap looks great.. Found an NOS version..
Troy

70 sublime

Looks like you have some thickness on the door where the door lock goes in
Hope you can get the drive cleat on the lock from the inside without mucking up the paint and cracking it around the edge on the out side . Ask me how I know  :eek2:
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

hemi68charger

Quote from: 70 sublime on May 10, 2020, 09:46:04 AM
Looks like you have some thickness on the door where the door lock goes in
Hope you can get the drive cleat on the lock from the inside without mucking up the paint and cracking it around the edge on the out side . Ask me how I know  :eek2:

I had to clean up some around the opening of the handle studs and it was easy. But, I know what you're referring to..  :2thumbs:
Troy

hemi68charger

Troy

gtx6970

What are you using for tank J bolts?
Those look a mile long

Mytur Binsdirti

Progress looks very good, but every time I see a thread update after a long absence, I can't help but think that I'm going to read about a new sale/trade is in the works instead of seeing progress.

;)

hemi68charger

Quote from: gtx6970 on May 17, 2020, 08:13:46 PM
What are you using for tank J bolts?
Those look a mile long

I frankly got them from rockauto... If there's a better more accurate item let me know.. I've been stir-crazy with parts ordering with this 70 Barracuda convertible Gran Coupe... Who do you get yours from? I'm not against getting another pair of more accurate versions...
Troy

gtx6970

Although Im not 100% convinced the bolts were green when new
https://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.php?prod=MP-GT8131

IMO a better option and more OE correct
http://www.billrolikenterprises.com/proddetail.asp?prod=2643824%2DP2

the source I used to get them from in bulk
AMKproducts.com

odcics2

I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemi68charger

Quote from: gtx6970 on May 18, 2020, 05:33:10 PM
Although Im not 100% convinced the bolts were green when new
https://www.megapartsusa.com/proddetail.php?prod=MP-GT8131

IMO a better option and more OE correct
http://www.billrolikenterprises.com/proddetail.asp?prod=2643824%2DP2

the source I used to get them from in bulk
AMKproducts.com

I got the green ones.. But, I do think Bill is correct.. Not that I'm some fuel tank j-bolt Guru, but I don't recall ever seeing j-bolts with a green hue to them..

Quote from: odcics2 on May 19, 2020, 08:47:34 AM
Maybe they sold Troy battery hold downs?   :smilielol:

Whatcha talkin' 'bout Willis?
Troy

hemi68charger

Operation 69 Charger 500; radiator core support black-out treatment.
Had a bug up my Mopar butt today.. Jumped right in and tried not to over-think this as it should be done. As always, took pictures of the area upon disassembly.
Troy

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

bannedbird

- Superbird Steve - Chicago
1970 A13 E86 D32 B5 H2XW w/GIII, ITB, 6L85

JB400

Isn't the grille support supposed to be bolted in first, before blackout? :popcrn: 

No fault on Troy, just inquiry.

RSI700VIPER

Looks good Troy.  Can't wait to see this bad boy pounding pavement.   
69 V2 Daytona 440 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
70 FJ5 Superbird 440+6 4-Speed 3.54 Dana
69 Talladega Torino 428 CJ
69 Mercury Cyclone Spoiler II Gurney Special
70 T6 Challenger T/A 4-speed
70 V2 Challenger R/T 440 Six Pack 4-speed
71 FC7 Challenger Vert Flemington Speedway Pace Car
71 V2 Challenger RT Formal Roof w/ V2 Stripe & Houndstooth

Moparpoolman

What's the trick to not getting over spray on everything around it?

hemi68charger

Quote from: JB400 on May 30, 2020, 09:56:59 PM
Isn't the grille support supposed to be bolted in first, before blackout? :popcrn: 

No fault on Troy, just inquiry.

Not that I'm aware of. In all the 2nd generations I have own, I don't recall any flat black being on the grille header panel.. Plus, not sure how the assembly line worker can get good coverage on the core support if the header is in the way..

Quote from: Moparpoolman on June 01, 2020, 06:10:04 AM
What's the trick to not getting over spray on everything around it?

I didn't over-think it actually. I taped off all the holes in the core support and the radiator opening and began painting.. The spray pattern of the can I used was pretty tight. There was a little overspray on the horizontal support of the core support. It did not totally duplicate the original pattern with slight overspray at the corners by the fender junction, so I'll probably apply some more to get that..  I didn't mask off any part of the fenders.. Painted laid where it laid..
Troy

hemi68charger

Operation Rookie-mistake on HEMI 500;
Had to tinker with the ole girl..  Put the bumper on and that went real easy, then the lower valance... Then.... Duh !!!!! I forgot to put the lower bumperette brace on the bumper brackets.. Lordy.. So, off comes the lower valance.. Later on this week.. But, she looks great.  Still need to put the end-of-bumper supports to level it out..
Troy