News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HEMI68CHARGER Press Release #614 426 HEMI Charger 500 Restoration

Started by hemi68charger, June 03, 2019, 11:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

XS29L9B2

dodge charger 440 R/T match
dodge charger 70 projet daytona

69 500

what i did was ask a question , as the pics dont show a lot of detail and i got an inderict answer so the second question was asked to clarify , and bye the way i was not asking you . and yea know wonder people quit posting there work when people like you jump in the middle of a conversation and start assuming the worst .

odcics2

rehrenberg sells the correct u bolts on ebay.
There is a diagram showing the difference between
MoPar oem and aftermarket.

Posted Rick's info below.
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 69 500 on October 02, 2020, 02:34:23 PM
what i did was ask a question , as the pics dont show a lot of detail and i got an inderict answer so the second question was asked to clarify , and bye the way i was not asking you . and yea know wonder people quit posting there work when people like you jump in the middle of a conversation and start assuming the worst .

If you were talking to me I didn't answer your question directly because I didn't want to have to explain why I didn't use the Factory Original. But it looks like I did now anyways. SO, The answer s NO, They are not factory original u-bolts. And for anybody that wants to ask, is that funny looking purple & blue anodized looking ends on those Emergency Brake Cable original? The answer is NO.  How about posting pics of your Roger Gibson Type OEM 100% Correct Restoration your doing on your 69 500.  :shruggy:

69 500

well actually ,the question would be who are you ? i believe my questions were directed to photos prevoius to my post. and i'm pretty sure yours is not the car in the post. unless Troy has 2 avatars. now as far as my Charger 500 and I do have one is not in a current restoration status is yours? Now for some reason you must believe that you are a Super hero sent to defend the helpless, the last I checked most People from the Armed Forces were not helpless. however if you would be so kind as to post your address I would love the oppertunity to show you my Kryptonite collection. Now as for the Questions i asked for some strange reason you have taken offence and the car in question is not yours . So why don't you save your super powers for a worthy cause for something like saving the universe , instead of trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

hemi68charger

Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

hemi-hampton

Quote from: 69 500 on October 02, 2020, 09:42:04 PM

well actually ,the question would be who are you ? i believe my questions were directed to photos prevoius to my post. and i'm pretty sure yours is not the car in the post. unless Troy has 2 avatars. now as far as my Charger 500 and I do have one is not in a current restoration status is yours? Now for some reason you must believe that you are a Super hero sent to defend the helpless, the last I checked most People from the Armed Forces were not helpless. however if you would be so kind as to post your address I would love the oppertunity to show you my Kryptonite collection. Now as for the Questions i asked for some strange reason you have taken offence and the car in question is not yours . So why don't you save your super powers for a worthy cause for something like saving the universe , instead of trying to make a mountain out of a mole hill.

SO, You were talking to Troy? Looking at the all the rear end pics Troy Posted I did not see any U-Bolts in his Pics, So who are you talking to? Who are you asking are those U-Bolts correct or Factory? :shruggy:

C500

Troy - I love the work you're doing on the 500, keep it up, and keep the pics coming  :2thumbs:
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

aerolith

Yep the factory U-Bolts were flattened over the arch with an inside knurl.

Most were 'cut-off' by drag-racing folks as the threads were always rusted away and brittle, then replaced for new ones!
Some folks go stainless where ever possible to allow for easy disassembley in the future.

Only problem with stainless it is softer and can stretch when over torqued...

I will go and look at mine on the C500 to see if they have been changed too?

Good to hear that you and Julius are keeping well in Houstonland. :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

ps only pulling ya on the WM and axle lol :slap: :smilielol: :pity:

I was gonna say ''Houston we have a problem'' but that's worn a little thin these days... :scratchchin:
Never send to know, for whom the bell tolls,
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

aerolith

Hi Troy,

Just checked mine again and yep they is flat across the top!
Dana-60 Axle has never been out in over 50 years...

That's dana reliability for you lol... :2thumbs: :patriot: :drive:
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

hemi68charger

Quote from: hemi-hampton on October 04, 2020, 06:29:20 PM

SO, You were talking to Troy? Looking at the all the rear end pics Troy Posted I did not see any U-Bolts in his Pics, So who are you talking to? Who are you asking are those U-Bolts correct or Factory? :shruggy:

FYI, I haven't posted pictures of my stuff.. Here's a picture of my:
1. springs (not painted black then)/
2. shock plates (powdercoated natural by Mike Ross)
3. front hangers left original natural with clear corrosion coating
4. rear shackles left original natural with clear corrosion coating

Installed in the car.. I will do further date code stampings/markings with time as I get the proper stencils.. Just nice to get the leaf springs and housing out of the way on the floor.
5. U-bolts, proper stamped-flat bends left natural with clear corrosion coating
Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

aerolith

IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

hemi68charger

Quote from: aerolith on October 06, 2020, 01:28:31 PM
looking good Troy, shame it weren't a dana 60... :slap: :smilielol: :flush:

8.75 is just fine.. All my former 3 500's were Dana cars and so is my Daytona. I have had my fair share of Danas... Plus, a lot easier to swap out gears on a 8.75...
Troy

ksquared

Hopefully not too Off-Topic, or too basic a question, but why is a Dana so much better?  If they would originally put the 8.75 axle with the Hemi, it must be able to withstand the torque/power.  I thought the Dana axle was heavy-duty, but doesn't it reach a limit where it is sufficient even with the 8.75 axle?

I mean, at some point doesn't the strength of the other components start to factor in?

hemi68charger

Quote from: ksquared on October 07, 2020, 09:30:02 AM
Hopefully not too Off-Topic, or too basic a question, but why is a Dana so much better?  If they would originally put the 8.75 axle with the Hemi, it must be able to withstand the torque/power.  I thought the Dana axle was heavy-duty, but doesn't it reach a limit where it is sufficient even with the 8.75 axle?

I mean, at some point doesn't the strength of the other components start to factor in?

I think it is the dump-the-clutch protection and for those high-acceleration impacts of a car with a 4.10 ratio (back then I don't think there was a 4.10 8.75 option, it was in a Dana 60). The ring gear is bigger on a Dana 60 over a 8.75. The axles I believe were the same diameter..
Troy

aerolith

Exactly Troy.  

It all goes back the the mid sixties and stick cars!
Dropping the clutch at 5000rpm did little good to the poor quality 8 3/4's back then... :slap:
So an easy fix was to install a truck dana with 4.10's, 4.56' etc.

I've seen many a shattered gear set in 8 3/4 axles even with an automatic trans.
So they made 'soft gears' to overcome the breakages, which are too soft for street use.

Axle flex and gear separation also factor in 8-3/4's, thats why most folks go 9-inch frauds.
They have an extra pinion support for the 'gear set', which seems to be the answer?

Now they are saying too much ''unsprung weight'' is 'bad too',,, so dana's are out of fashion now... :eek2:

So what's the answer, don't drag race and leave the car in the garage, its good for the environment... :'( :'( :'(
IT TOLLS FOR THEE...

John Donne 1623

hemi68charger

Quote from: aerolith on October 08, 2020, 04:07:16 AM
Exactly Troy.  

So what's the answer, don't drag race and leave the car in the garage, its good for the environment... :'( :'( :'(

For the purpose I'll have, the 8.75 will do just fine....... The Daytona's Dana I'll just say has had it's turn of stress..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-0jrgQAdAM
Troy

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

hemi68charger

Working on the girl this weekend. Installed the roof jute, seems my kit was missing a third middle section. Routed the dome light harness and reinstalled the rear headliner retaining teeth section around the rear window. As you can see, this is how Creative Industries created a off-the-cuff solution for the modified rear window headliner area due to the modified rear window plug. Simple washers and actually used 2 3" oval head screws with 4 washers on the ends and the ones in between are door sill plate screws and 3 washers.

1st is pre-resto
Troy

70 sublime

What are all the extra little holes for around where the screws with the washers are ?

They were not sure where they needed the holes and just made lots and then choose the best one ??
next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

hemi68charger

Quote from: 70 sublime on October 13, 2020, 09:18:52 AM
What are all the extra little holes for around where the screws with the washers are ?

They were not sure where they needed the holes and just made lots and then choose the best one ??

I am wondering too......... there is no evidence they were there before.....  Sooooooo, I need to call my body shop to see if they did anything.. I'll look at other pictures pre-body work and see if the holes were there but filled in the 50 years of dust and possible roof insulation...

Just checked.. The holes were all there before. I would guess it was the testing of the modifications needed for the repositioning of the headliner in the rear..
Troy

70 sublime

next project 70 Charger FJ5 green

hemi68charger

Quote from: 70 sublime on October 13, 2020, 11:11:01 AM
So your car was the practice car  :2thumbs:

Guarantee they learned a lot in the modifications of the pilot 68 car and the 1st 6 Press Release cars mine is a part of...

Troy

hemi68charger

Weekend update; 69 Hemi Charger 500.

Cleaned and freshened up the parking brake assembly and repainting original pull-handle. Prefer to use as many of the original parts and fasteners possible.
Troy

hemi68charger

Just received my latches and strikers back from getting them replated. The local effort was bad, so went with a gent who Bill Woessner referred to me. They came out pretty good. Wanted to emphasis the need to apply some lithium grease to the slide block. If the door won't shut all the way once all installed it is probably the white block is not sliding back when the door shuts. Just lub it up, push in a few times and all should be good... Oh wait? Did I just say that? 😱😁

I did and the DOOR shuts fine.
Troy