News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

HEMI68CHARGER Press Release #614 426 HEMI Charger 500 Restoration

Started by hemi68charger, June 03, 2019, 11:04:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

6bblgt

on an E-body the muffler is at the end next to the gas tank & is welded to the over-the-axle pipe (the resonator is under the rear seat)

gtx6970

Quote from: 6bblgt on November 17, 2020, 02:24:23 AM
on an E-body the muffler is at the end next to the gas tank & is welded to the over-the-axle pipe (the resonator is under the rear seat)

yea, I know but it got my point across

Lol

hemi68charger

Quote from: gtx6970 on November 17, 2020, 06:06:14 AM
Quote from: 6bblgt on November 17, 2020, 02:24:23 AM

yea, I know but it got my point across

Lol

Yeap.... I think the engineers did the bait and switch of the naming of those exhaust components to throw us all off into a state of confusion........  :icon_smile_big:
Troy
'69 Charger Daytona 440 auto 4.10 Dana ( now 426 HEMI )
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)
Houston Mopar Club Connection

odcics2

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 15, 2020, 08:40:42 PM
Operation VIN plate;
No need to tell you what this is for, you can read the plate..
Yesterday went and picked up my dash frame from my bud Julius.. He painted the plate as well. He did a great job. Purchased the dry transfer from ECS and it worked perfectly..

Why isn't the font correctly spaced?  A way to tell it's repopped??  Legal matter perhaps?   Licensing rights?

Had a tough time re-doing the rear firewall in DC-93, getting the Pentastar and "Chrysler Corporation" script dead nuts accurate.
Those letters are unique to that logo. The Pentastar has a certain spacing to the lettering.   Plus, it's die cut.
"Woodward Garage 093" is hand painted.

As you are learning: the more you know about accuracy, the crazier it becomes!! 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

JB400

odcics2

hemi68charger

Hey gang...

I had a couple questions about my car.. I noticed in the Bud Lindermann video 2 things:

1. The voltage regulator font was indeed yellow for my car.. Was curious of it could have been red since about this time was the transition from red to yellow. if it was red, it wouldn't stand out as much in this vintage footage

2. The placement of the negative battery cable. It is obvious mine was not connected to the front head attach boss like Hemis are typically, it was connected to the water pump housing.. Also noticed this survivor Hemi Charger 500 at the Talladega AeroMeet, it had it's negative battery cable connected to the water pump housing. Granted, it looks like it was be replaced or taken off at some point, but why would someone not put it back where it was before? My guess is the owner put it right back where it was when he touched up the paint on the motor (you can see orange overspray on the power steering pump bracket).

Troy
'70 Superbird 426 Hemi auto: Lindsley Bonneville Salt Flat world record holder (220.2mph)

Dragon Slayer

:shruggy:  I will give you another one, where are you going to attach the bulkhead ground cable to the engine?  On an intake stud or actually use the back hole in the head?  Ground through aluminum or ground to steel? ;)

hemi68charger

Quote from: Dragon Slayer on November 20, 2020, 11:04:22 AM
:shruggy:  I will give you another one, where are you going to attach the bulkhead ground cable to the engine?  On an intake stud or actually use the back hole in the head?  Ground through aluminum or ground to steel? ;)

Exactly where it is supposed to be, at the rear passenger side intake bolt.

1. The firewalls connected to the electrical ground bolt
2. The electrical ground bolt is connected to the ground strap
3. The ground strap is connected to the intake fastener bolt
4. The intake fastener bolt is connected to the iron head (albeit it goes THROUGH an aluminum manifold, still connects to iron)

:icon_smile_big:
Troy

Mopar John

Quote from: hemi68charger on November 14, 2020, 07:07:49 PM
Quote from: 69_500 on November 14, 2020, 10:21:12 AM
Troy, it is the same mechanism but not exactly the same. See the stampings on the top? not the same.

Just trying to  :poke:   lol

😁   there is a subtle difference to be honest but very minute.. This was the closest I could find.
Troy,
There is a seller on EBAY with some late date coded 3084 horn relays priced at $49.99 with correct guts?
MJ

hemi68charger

Quote from: Mopar John on November 20, 2020, 04:30:47 PM
...Troy,
There is a seller on EBAY with some late date coded 3084 horn relays priced at $49.99 with correct guts?
MJ

Thanks John.. I did find one that was almost a dead-ringer to replace my original guts to put in my original replated horn relay can.
Troy

hemi68charger

Operation Charger emblem resto; 69 C500
Sort of nice knowing this is the original emblem; rechromed, painted and reinstalled on the 500, is pretty cool. Looks better than new. The other side ends in 2841886.. This is 2841887.. So from an assembly line item, there is a left and right. I will figure out what to do with the other side with a missing peg. Will probably sacrifice one of my messed up examples and bond it to the 86..
Troy

odcics2

Yes, a left and right because of the way the C pillar curves. The repop is the "6" version.

To most guys, close enough.    Hats off to you for doing this detail right.  :cheers:

hemi68charger

Operation drip rail and quarter belt molding;
Installation of molding and voltage regulator stamp resto. All fit nice and snug. Stamp looks good, of course had to practice on a donor regulator cover.

Thanks to Dave Points and his amazing stainless steel polishing skills and Sylvain Gaucher and his stamps for the voltage regulator. My original regulator was long gone, but did the math comparison of a survivor Charger 500 (it's regulator date code versus its SPD from the fender tag). Even found the original wire terminal clamp for the regulator. That put a smile on my mug.
Troy

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

Mopar John

Troy,
Nice looking voltage regulator and ballast resistor!
The resistor has the correct longer oval style raised areas to keep the bracket in place!
MJ

C500

Hey Troy - looking good! When does an 'orange box' come into play? Should your 500 have one?
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

hemi68charger

Quote from: C500 on January 24, 2021, 05:57:44 PM
Hey Troy - looking good! When does an 'orange box' come into play? Should your 500 have one?

Orange box? Probably know what you're talking about it but not heard it said this way?
Troy

C500

Quote from: hemi68charger on January 24, 2021, 08:58:39 PM

Orange box? Probably know what you're talking about it but not heard it said this way?

Ignition module, see one here: https://www.yearone.com/Product/chrysler-b-body/fdp505
"An aggressive exterior with power to match was enough to pull in the performance boys-especially when abetted by a pair of pipes blaring out the back, and brawny red-sidewall rubber hitting the pavement."  

"........the four speed box changes cogs with the precision of a sharp axe striking soft pine."

maxwellwedge

C500

Quote from: maxwellwedge on January 25, 2021, 08:08:02 AM

:smilielol:

hemi68charger

Quote from: C500 on January 24, 2021, 09:08:13 PM

Ignition module, see one here: https://www.yearone.com/Product/chrysler-b-body/fdp505

Ahhhhh, nope....... Chrysler ignition systems were a few years out.... So, it is supposed to have a dual-point Prestolite..... I'll probably go that route initially then have one of my other Prestolites restored, but with a Pertronix gut..
Troy

hemi68charger

Operation console lid "adjustment";
Well, seems there is an issue with the castings of the top plates of our B-Body 69-70 center consoles.. Thought it might have been just the one I got but apparently they are all this way.. So, with the guidance and "you can do it" from Michael Ross , I was able to finesse the top plate to fit better. It was really warped bending upwards..
With some appropriate pressing, voila, worked. I was initially worried about cracking the chrome, but nope.. Didn't.

Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Troy

Moparpoolman

Hi Troy, Looking good! :2thumbs: Are the console parts aftermarket? If yes where did you get them from? How did all three pieces fit?, front section, door and rear piece? Thanks

hemi68charger

Quote from: Moparpoolman on January 29, 2021, 02:58:36 PM
Hi Troy, Looking good! :2thumbs: Are the console parts aftermarket? If yes where did you get them from? How did all three pieces fit?, front section, door and rear piece? Thanks

I only messed with the front plate thus far........ Have had to divert my attention to other things..... The top plate was from OER through Classic Industries, not sure who makes that or if it is a PG Classic item..... It is my recollection that all the top plates are like this... I hope not. I just ordered a bunch of plates for the restoration of the console on this '70 Charger R/T I'm working on at home...
Troy