News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

68 Charger - Suddenly some lights not working - Please help

Started by rollo1504, June 01, 2019, 01:36:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollo1504

Hey folks,

Today I noticed that the dash lights are not working.
I had not too much time to check more things but following thins are not working

Things Not working:
- Dashlights
- Clock
- Console Shifter light
- Flasher
- Front + Rear parking lights
- Complete backend -> Taillights, Brakelights, Return lights, license plate light

So before I begin to take things apart I would like to know where is the best way to start?
How is the feed line going?

What else so far I could test:
- Turn signal  front + rear - OK
- Headlights - OK
- Toggle switch for low + high beam - OK
- With the dimmer switch the dome light can be switched on
- Door switches are working as the lights coming on as soon as the doors are opened

If I need to test the headlight switch will I need to pull the dash?
If yes do I need to be aware of something when I will do it?
Can the dash be pulled just after removing the 4 screws around the gauges?

Every comment is appreciated

Thanks

Roland

Dmichels

68 440 4 speed 4.10

b5blue

First off roll the dash light dimmer wheel up and down briskly several times and try rolling it fully to the end position that should turn the dome light on. (The contacts can iffy when not used much. ) Grab any blinker relays and wiggle plug in contacts to check for contact. Check all grounds also.

rollo1504

Hey folks,

I have checked everything possible and could NOT trace down a ground problem....

So I have checked the fuses and could see one 20A fuse tripped.... I replaced the fuse and everything was working fine again UNTIL i switched the headlight switch to parking light position...
I noticed the fuse blew again as the clock stopped working again.....

So replaced the 20A with a 25A fuse and since then everything is fine and working again and the fuse does not blow anymore....

Will I need to be concerned about that?
I have also tried to find a 68 manual to download but everytime a suitable document could be find in the web I need to create an account and register for a free trial...

So please is here somebody around how can provide a service manual to me for free? Further I would like to find a fuse list.

Thanks to everyone.

Regards

Roland

Alaskan_TA

Putting in a higher amp fuse does not fix the original problem. It could cause a wiring meltdown & possible fire though.

Check the headlight high-beam switch on the floor.

b5blue

rollo1504

I will check the headlight switch and the floor headlight switch as well again.

Still some open questions:

- Can someone please provide a 68 charger service manual?
- Is a fuselist available somewhere?
- Is pulling the instrument cluster possible after removing the four screws around the gauges or is more necessary? I only pulled an instrument cluster from my 73 charger but never from the 68.

Thanks

Regards