News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

How hard is it to remove/reattach the wing on a Superbird

Started by RammJaeger, April 28, 2019, 06:59:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mytur Binsdirti

This has got to be the silliest wing car thread ever. Quick release Superbird wing......come on! Just get a long enough "normal" enclosed trailer and leave the wing on. Case closed.

chargervert

You almost 100 percent guaranteed to scratch or damage the car by constantly removing and replacing the wing. Buy a trailer that the car fits in, and store the car safely, or damage will ensue.

Birdflu

Quote from: chargervert on May 07, 2019, 08:59:49 AM
You almost 100 percent guaranteed to scratch or damage the car by constantly removing and replacing the wing. Buy a trailer that the car fits in, and store the car safely, or damage will ensue.

:iagree:

held1823

what am i missing here? the ass end of the trailer is the highest point of it. the wing isn't any taller than the roof. it also doesn't stick out past the rear of the car. why would the wing need to come off to go into the trailer?
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

Y1CHARGER

sccachallenger

Quote from: 62 Max on April 28, 2019, 10:09:57 PM
Quote from: RammJaeger on April 28, 2019, 09:28:31 PM
Because I want one of these trailers:

https://www.bre2.net/aerovault.info/

They are super lightweight and I can tow them and any of my cars with our Durango R/T.

The lift is the larger concern though.

DESIGNED BY WORLD RENOWN AUTOMOTIVE DESIGNER PETER BROCK

Have him make one that fits !! :RantExplode:

Yep, absolutely see if they'd build one to fit your car.

RammJaeger

Quote from: Mytur Binsdirti on May 07, 2019, 08:51:59 AM
This has got to be the silliest wing car thread ever. Quick release Superbird wing......come on! Just get a long enough "normal" enclosed trailer and leave the wing on. Case closed.

Wow you guys are REALLY obsessed with the trailer thing. The trailer thing was a secondary concern. The primary concern was being able to get the car raised up on my garage lift high enough to work on it from underneath, or to park a car below when it's stored on the lift.

This is one thing I hate about the internet sometimes - you ask a question like "how do I do this" and a bunch of people just give you their opinion on why you shouldn't. This wasn't a trailer advice thread, it was a "how to take the wing off" thread.

There is one great thing about being an adult who can afford a Superbird, you don't have to listen to people's opinions, and can do whatever you want with your own car.

I've now taken the wing off to fit the car on my lift, and even made a tutorial on how to do it:

http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,135380.0.html

odcics2

Took the wing off my first Bird in 1980 by removing the 8 nuts and lifting.

It wasn't a big deal. Did it myself.    :shruggy:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

pettybird

Quote from: RammJaeger on May 13, 2019, 06:44:48 AM

There is one great thing about being a dolt who can afford a Superbird, you don't have to listen to people's opinions no matter how valid they are, and can do whatever you want with your own car.

I've now taken the wing off to fit the car on my lift, and even made a tutorial on how to do it:

FIFY.  By the way, the *short* version of removing eight bolts and two cap screws was more than 10 minutes long...now that you've made an unnecessary how to video how often are you going to actually do it?

ACUDANUT

A Durango pulling a 4,000 lbs car plus trailer = Bad idea.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HbgOq2OvUyA&feature=youtu.be
Your video..  Hmmm, Ummmm, turn it this way and The bolt was bent ? How does a bolt get bent.  A gasket is called a grommet ?  :shruggy:

birdsandbees

Glad it worked out for you... but I've never wanted to see if I'd be successful... or have a bunch of stripped aluminum holes! I'd cut a hole in the ceiling first, even if it meant gaining a foot stool in the living room!

BTW.. I bought my Bird when I was 28 years old..  :icon_smile_big: :icon_smile_big:  :yesnod:
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

Y1CHARGER

Wow you guys are REALLY obsessed with the trailer thing. The trailer thing was a secondary concern. The primary concern was being able to get the car raised up on my garage lift high enough to work on it from underneath, or to park a car below when it's stored on the lift.

This is one thing I hate about the internet sometimes - you ask a question like "how do I do this" and a bunch of people just give you their opinion on why you shouldn't. This wasn't a trailer advice thread, it was a "how to take the wing off" thread.

There is one great thing about being an adult who can afford a Superbird, you don't have to listen to people's opinions, and can do whatever you want with your own car.

If I recall correctly, you're the one that asked....and you're the one that gave the reasons why....For someone to ask how to remove the wing because you couldn't figure it out, then to make a how to video like you're some kind of Superbird expert amazes me.  Also, if you couldn't get the wing off without asking, what task could you possibly do that you would need the car on a lift for.   

A383Wing

Dodgecharger74

I would build a bigger garage  Problem solved   I would not haul any thing that heavy with my Durango
74 charger se
82 dodge PU fleetside short box 440
05 magnum 5.7 Hemi
04 rumble bee hemi

held1823

i hate to see discord like has taken over this thread. the guy is a fellow wing car fan/owner, and right or wrong, the decision(s) is/are his to make.

hell, i'm not smart enough to understand the wing part myself. the roof would hit the ceiling as quickly as the wing, unless there is something we don't know about on the ceiling. but if he wants to remove it, so be it. 

edit - never mind, i see it would hit the garage door, unless the car was backed onto the lift

nice stable of cars, btw
Ernie Helderbrand
XX29L9B409053

birdsandbees

The wing is higher than the roof by about 6 to 8". I actually measured it the other day.. but forget the true difference.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

Mytur Binsdirti

Quote from: odcics2 on May 13, 2019, 07:51:30 AM
Took the wing off my first Bird in 1980 by removing the 8 nuts and lifting.

It wasn't a big deal. Did it myself.    :shruggy:

Such a hateful post.   :lol:

wingcar

Just use "Hook and Loop", also known as Velcro..........problem solved, now let's move on!
1970 Daytona Charger SE "clone" (440/Auto)
1967 Charger (360,6-pak/Auto)
2008 Challenger SRT8 BLK (6.1/Auto) 6050 of 6400

birdsandbees

I measured again... 6" a big difference to some gals!
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241

ACUDANUT

Girls/Women are only interested in your wallet. PERIOD.

RammJaeger

Quote from: Y1CHARGER on May 13, 2019, 04:34:45 PM

If I recall correctly, you're the one that asked....and you're the one that gave the reasons why....For someone to ask how to remove the wing because you couldn't figure it out, then to make a how to video like you're some kind of Superbird expert amazes me.  Also, if you couldn't get the wing off without asking, what task could you possibly do that you would need the car on a lift for.   

Wow I'm used to car communities being helpful. Is there something about the Superbird community where it's just has a bunch of jerks? Did you actually watch the video? I never said I was an expert. I even poke fun at myself at how much trouble I have getting the wing off (turns out one of the studs was bent).

With a car this original with this kind of value, I ask questions before I do things so I can learn from the knowledge of others. That way I don't damage my car if someone else knows something I don't. That doesn't mean I don't know how to turn a wrench.

Birdflu

Don't take the responses to your original inquiry personal. I believe that most of the Superbird owners on this board feel that continually removing and installing the wing on your 'Bird may be compared to continually removing and installing the movement in an antique grandfather clock. It's just perceived as a little unorthodox.