News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Need advice about 360 engine.

Started by Charger_70, June 05, 2019, 11:34:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charger_70

Hey guys,  a buddy of mine has a 360 motor from a 2000 model truck thats still in the truck complete  and im thinking of taking my 318 out and putting it in. What issues might i run in too? Ive read about 360 are externaly balanced, and maybe a motor mount issue is this true and what other issues might i come across. Thanks.

Kern Dog

Technically, the 1993 and later 360s are called a 5.9 Magnum.  Yes, they are externally balanced but so are all 400s, all cast crank 440s from 1974 to 78 and the 72-73 340. For a moderate power level, they do just fine.
The left hand motor mount bracket is wider but a 318 mount works with a spacer or a small stack of washers. There is a matter of header interference in some cases because the block had cast in nubs that the 1971-92 360 engines did not have. Easy fix.....just saw the nub off. It only was there to secure the block during machine work at the factory and serves no other purpose.
This engine came with a roller cam but NO provision to run a conventional mechanical fuel pump since all Mopar V8s were EFI from 1990 and later.  Those vehicles all used IN TANK electric pumps.  There are ways around that, companies that sell the parts to get a mechanical pump to work like the older engines did. You could also just buy a low pressure electric pump and a regulator.
An automatic trans will need either a balance weight welded onto the converter OR a flexplate with a balance correction built into it. B & M used to sell one but you have to be specific...The 71-92 360 used MORE balance weight than the 93-03 models. You absolutely want to get this right. The 5.9 uses different heads than the LA engines and the accessory holes to mount the alternator may not be in the exact same spot as an LA engine. Most, if not ALL 5.2 and 5.9 Magnum engines had serpentine belt setups so search and seek a fix to make the traditional 2 or 3 belt setup work.
The 904 you have may hold up if you treat it nice and easy but what fun is that? The 727 takes MORE HP to turn but is more durable.
If it were MY car, I'd look for a low mileage 383 or 440. A totally stock 383 and 727 automatic is a rock solid combination and can be a great performer while still giving decent highway mileage. Your choice though. Good luck.

Charger_70

Thanks  sounds easier to just throw in a 383 or 440 but i have mounts for 318 so im guessing that would have to change, if i went with a 383 or 440 is mounts my only issue? Ive just installed 8 3/4 rear with 323 gear. Thanks.

Kern Dog

The metal brackets for the 383 are the same as the 440 but they are NOT the same as the 318 mounts.
I only mention the 383 & 440 because they can make decent power even close to stock and the transmissions behind them usually last a long time.

67tbird

Schumacher makes the proper motor mounts for this swap, are you swapping in the 46RE tranny also? You can change out the beer keg intake for a Edelbrock air gap and carb setup. I don't know what hood clearance is like in '70's.
I am staring at a 94 5.9magnum and tranny and intake looks tall.http://www.magnumswap.com good starting spot.

Troy

The Magnum engines have way better heads (than any older "LA" small block), roller cams, serpentine belts, and EFI. You'll need motor mounts and a car oil pan for anything you do. Headers/exhaust manifolds from any small block will work and it will bolt up to any of the muscle car small block transmissions (use the right flywheel or converter of course). You have several choices for installation.
1. use "as is" which will require a computer, wiring harness, and electric fuel pump. The giant truck intake will likely still fit under the hood. You could go a step further and fit the Magnum's overdrive transmission too - but this will likely require some fabrication and modification of your floor pan. You'll love the drivability though! Cost here is basically time and effort (outside of buying the thing).
2. Use mostly "as is" but put a better intake and throttle body on and use aftermarket EFI. That truck manifold and TB are designed for high torque and low speed (but also for a 4,500-6,000 pound truck so it's not terrible for moving a 4,000 pound muscle car). Factory EFI is pretty well locked down so there's not a lot of options for performance while aftermarket has a lot of flexibility. Cost here could easily be $1,000-2,000 depending on choices plus time and effort for install/tuning.
3. Put a carb intake (Crosswinds and Edelbrock make one that fits Magnums) and carb on it. Probably needs a tried and true distributor/electronic ignition. Still need an electric fuel pump and now a regulator so you don't flood the carb. This could be done for about $500 if you shop smart and can rebuild a carb. It's not complicated so tuning and maintenance aren't scary.
4. One step further, put on the LA style timing cover and use all the original accessories (remember the Magnum uses serpentine belts). This will allow you to use the mechanical fuel pump for the carb - but you'll need a "cam eccentric" to extend the cam and actuate the fuel pump lever arm. These are like $20 OR you can buy a new long snout cam - which would also give you the opportunity to make more power at the same time. These motors respond really well to mods. Look up Hotrod's Junkyard Jewel (I think that's what it's called). If you already have a 318 you have most of these parts so cost isn't a lot more than #3 unless you buy a new cam (which isn't crazy).

I really like the Magnum engines but they aren't so popular these days with the Modern Hemis being out for 16 years. A big block swap if you have access to good running stuff locally might technically be easier and cheaper depending on the route you take. A decent 383 will really make a Charger move and I can get them here for almost nothing. Most Mopar guys will know how to work on them and can help you out. If you open the hood and have a hybrid LA/Magnum, aftermarket EFI in there most will be clueless and you're on your own (but hopefully it also won't break down).

Troy
Sarcasm detector, that's a real good invention.

Rolling_Thunder

I recently did a magnum swap in my 73 Challenger - It had a LA 318 in it when I got the car (not running) and originally went to a guy's house for a A-518 OD transmission but he gave me the Magnum engine for free so I took it too --

I bought a cheap car oil pan, oil pump, water pump, and bolted on a LA style timing cover and the needed cam eccentric to run a factory mechanical fuel pump. duel plane intake from ebay and a rebuilt 750 edelbrock...    Also a factory LA distributor ---

Just got it fired up 3 days ago - sounds good even with the stock roller cam and seems to run very well.

:2thumbs:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip