News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

electrical haywire all of a sudden when reattaching the voltage regulator

Started by nvrbdn, June 09, 2019, 04:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nvrbdn

Car was running fine. Everything working, but was not charging the battery. I had an extra alternator, so I was going to change it and see what happens, but then noticed that the plug on the voltage regulator was loose. I plugged it back in and was back to charging the battery again.  BUT............  now the amp gauge is running negative, and as I rev the rpm's it goes farther in the negative to 30 amps. The tach quit working. If I disconnect the positive cable, with the engine running, when I reattach it I get a big spark. Engine still running great, just some weird electrical stuff going on.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

charger Downunder

Sounds like you have a major short somewhere check the connection to the alt the fiber washer hasn't fallen apart on the positive cable to alt.
[/quote]

nvrbdn

70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House

John_Kunkel

How do you know the battery is charging if the ammeter is showing discharge?
Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

nvrbdn

Right, I don't know, but with the battery disconnected, the engine keeps running. With the regulator disconnected the engine shuts off. I haven't put a meter on it yet. I put both alternators on the engine, and the results were the same with both.
70 Dodge Charger 500
70 Duster (Moulin Rouge)
73 Challenger
50 Dodge Pilot House