News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

K frame

Started by poppa, June 11, 2019, 01:49:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

poppa

Where do these usually get welded (strengthened)?? Anyone have a pic? Drawing? Thanks
God must love stupid people....he made a sh**load of 'em....

Matco tools...guaranteed for a lifetime. Just not a human lifetime.

will

My k frame was gusset welded around the steering box mounting area as well as the torsion bar/ lower control arm mounting point. Firm feel has the kit available. I also had the periphery of the k frame welded all the way around. Then powder coated. Looks great!

Lennard

green69rt

Quote from: will on June 11, 2019, 04:24:19 PM
My k frame was gusset welded around the steering box mounting area as well as the torsion bar/ lower control arm mounting point. Firm feel has the kit available. I also had the periphery of the k frame welded all the way around. Then powder coated. Looks great!

Did mine the exact same but used the kit and did it myself.  Not that hard if you're a decent welder.  Don't need to be expert.

Kern Dog

True. Take a look at the mediocre welding that the factory workers did....THAT held up for many, many years so whatever reinforcements a man adds later for a car that may NOT see 2000 miles a year, should be fine.   :2thumbs:

Mike DC

The biggest failure point is the mounting tubes for the LCAs.  The welds and walls of the K's leg will fatigue and that joining point and tear out.  Use heavy washers and gusset the areas where both ends of the tube attach to the walls of the K's leg.

The steering box mount doesn't tear off but it's prone to flexing which is bad for steering feel.   

Vegas_Nick

One piece of advice. If you weld this on your own, have the K frame chemical dipped first. This was mine and I made the mistake of only having it media blasted.

All those years of oil will come right back out if you don't and it will make for some hard welding.

alfaitalia

Great advise....ask me how I know!! :rofl:
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!