News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Electric Fan:

Started by Captain D, June 11, 2019, 07:53:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hello gents,

I'd like to have installed an electric fan to be placed in front of the radiator (to be used in conjunction with the factory / mechanical fan) to help keep everything cool while running at slower speeds, etc. I realize that some kick on automatically while others can be operated manually, which manually I'd probably go with out of preference.

Anyhow, any particular name brands you guys may be using? Pros / cons, feedback, & just curious how long it takes to install (ballpark, just to get an idea)?

I had seen that the local auto parts store sell a brand called 'Imperial Automotive Products.' I'll do some searches for reviews.

Thanks for any and all replies...

armor64

is the engine overheating at idle/traffic? I'd look for the cause of the issue before adding a restriction in front of the airflow.

Captain D

...not overheating in the least (Champion Cooling I give two thumbs up). I just like to use my Charger in parades, etc. It's just nice to have that feature if need be, in other words.

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: armor64 on June 12, 2019, 07:18:22 AM
is the engine overheating at idle/traffic? I'd look for the cause of the issue before adding a restriction in front of the airflow.
Like an ac condensor and trans cooler? 99.9% of todays cars run electric fans and have 4 and 5 times the amount of debris bolted in front of the radiators.

justcruisin

I have found that adding an electric fan in front of the radiator is a plus and doesn't effect the running temps due to a "restriction". For what you want it for I would highly recommend it. on hot days in traffic it is great for piece of mind. I use a 17" Derale 18271, others have had great success with the 17" rainbow fan, which is rated higher. I would try the rainbow fan.

b5blue

Keep in mind the output of charging system is lowest at idle. The stock system could not keep up with a 30AMP draw @ idle, you could toast some harness.

armor64

i ran into the output issue on my 78 gmc, had a dual fan assembly from a windstar (fit perfectly) and when i flipped the switch the alternator LOCKED and belt was squealing around it.
upped to a 100A and all was well.

4aThrill

I upgraded my water pump to Koolflow it has 16 machine grade fins which increases your flow 30%  and drops your temp down to 160 around town and 180 on freeway great improvement in my book. Looks stock, you can still run your 180 stat too, I also added a one inch fan spacer so that the clutch is one inch away from the aluminum radiator which is is the minimum distance.  Seal up the gaps around your shroud a mechanical fan moves 40 MPH at idle and moves any where between 5,000-8000 CFM pending on how many blades you have. Mancini racing is selling 7 blades for 137 I believe.

c00nhunterjoe

How does a waterpump drop running temperature 20 degrees below the thermostat threshold? A 180 stat doesnt start to open until 180, it is not open until roughly 195-200. So a 160 running temp on a 180 stat tells me the stat is faulty or the gauge is not accurate as there is no waterflow until the stat starts to open.

Canadian1968

So I have been battling the fight with heat up here in Ontario. The last 2 years its not uncommon for us to 33 Degrees C ( 40 - 45C depending on humidity ) , regularly threw the July / Aug months. I  run a direct drive mechanical flex fan with factory shroud and large 3 core aluminum rad, I actually purchased off of Ron on this site. I was running a 160* thermostat but if I got stuck in traffic for more than 5 mins, the temp would start to climb fast.  I put in a 10" electric fan "pusher" infront of the rad, hooked to a manual switch. It still could not keep up those hot 35* days if I got stuck in traffic.  My next step was a high flow thermostat, this was rated at 180 , so i it raised my regular operating temp but did do a much better job keeping things cooler. 

BUT once again in those extreme conditions and standing still my temp would still creep up , although it is much slower with the high flow stat. I just installed another 10" fan in front of the rad.  I have not had a chance to run it yet, but these 2 fans are rated at 1500CFM each, and draw between 7 and 10amps according the manufacture.   I purchased them off amazon for $70 a piece there are super slim only 2.5" thick and like I said move a decent amount of air. 

So I will have approx 3000CFM from my electric and what ever my mechanical draws at idle , my water pump and housing is stock.  As stated , regular driving or conditions there is no problem at all, we are only dealing with those EXTREME conditions, when the motor is heat soaked and your great city decides to put traffic in a grid lock at rush hour and its 35* outside  :RantExplode:

justcruisin

IMO 2 x 10" 80 watt fans in front of your radiator is a waste of time. Do the math for area on your two 10's against the 17" I recommended.

Canadian1968

Never said it was the best option , just sharing what I use. 
Had I not known the single 10 was not going to be enuff I would had obviously gone bigger .

Captain D

Great info & exactly what I was looking for. B5blue - good thought to consider regarding the harnesses. I was sold on one, but certainly don't want to fry anything in the process too. Ugh, too bad upgrading from a 22" to a 26" radiator probably won't change anything as a potential 'back up' idea though. The ol' mechanical fan is doing its job, but can't quite cut it during parades, etc...