News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

18 spline 4 speed xs29 trans found, is this your car?

Started by cbrestorations, June 11, 2019, 08:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cbrestorations

Went and looked at a few cars and there was an 18 spline trans in the trunk of a challenger. Just seeing if this trans is numbers to someone car xs29L9B179988

Kern Dog

Classy move.
It would be a great thing if it did find its way back to the original car it was in!

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: cbrestorations on June 11, 2019, 08:42:58 PM
Went and looked at a few cars and there was an 18 spline trans in the trunk of a challenger. Just seeing if this trans is numbers to someone car xs29L9B179988

Back in 2005 this car was registered by a member on here (Chad L. Magee) as a "junk shell"  in Columbia, MS

Where did the trans show up?

Chris' '69 Charger R/T

moparstuart

Quote from: Just 6T9 CHGR on June 12, 2019, 03:53:05 PM

Back in 2005 this car was registered by a member on here (Chad L. Magee) as a "junk shell"  in Columbia, MS

Chad lives here is kansas and still posts here every once in a while  
GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

cbrestorations

Back in 2005 this car was registered by a member on here (Chad L. Magee) as a "junk shell"  in Columbia, MS

The trans is in Lincoln, Nebraska

spoolinhard

Quote from: cbrestorations on June 12, 2019, 09:32:20 PM

Did you purchase the trans?

odcics2

Quote from: cbrestorations on June 12, 2019, 09:32:20 PM

Are you suggesting that transmissions are migratory?
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Kern Dog

Car parts are not as easy to trace as a car. Nobody holds a title to a transmission or a seat. It is very hard to trace ownership. I love those stories of people that track down an original engine or transmission for their car.  :2thumbs:

Alaskan_TA

Three T/A engines made it 'home' to their original cars last month.

If there is a Registry for your make & model, you should consider sending in a registration form.

Just 6T9 CHGR

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 13, 2019, 02:58:40 PM
Three T/A engines made it 'home' to their original cars last month.

If there is a Registry for your make & model, you should consider sending in a registration form.

:cheers:
Chris' '69 Charger R/T

cbrestorations

Chad L. Magee

Back in 2005 this car was registered by a member on here (Chad L. Magee) as a "junk shell"  in Columbia, MS

Columbia, Mo to be exact.  That was when I was going to Mizzou for grad school in inorganic chemistry.

The car does indeed exist, but is in deep storage for a reason.  It was parted out by a previous owner up in rural Lincoln, Nebraska.  A friend found it in a Lincoln newspaper as a parted out 1969 Charger for $200 back about 1997 or so.  He was visiting a relative in the hospital there when he just happened to find it in the paper.  It was bought as a parts car (body shell), as the VIN tag had been removed by the seller (he kept that tag).  He said that he "did not want to see it get rebodied", but I suspected that he might have had those plans himself as he had a nice 1969 Charger shell nearby.  It was a triple green 440-4bbl., 4-speed, dana-60, stripe delete car originally from what I was told by the seller.  When we went to pick it up, the seller threatened us that he was going to dump it into a culvert if it did not sell that day, as he needed the storage for another car.  Needless to say, my friend bought it and we had the fun of bringing that hulk of a car shell home.  People gave us all types of looks when they saw the car on the trailer, some happy to see an 69 Charger, some confused at what it was.  Later on, my friend traded it to me for Charger parts to fix up one of his cars.  I was thinking of making a drag car out of it someday due to the missing VIN tag issue....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

cbrestorations

Well chad, now that the full vin has been found on a transmission a repop vin tag can be made just by having the matching numbers on the body. All you need to do now is get a title in ur name and data tags will make you a vin knowing itsbin your name and you have the correct body....👍

cbrestorations

Also the guy told me that he bought the challenger in 1980 and the transmission was already in it. The charger got parted out early in life I guess

tan top

Feel free to post any relevant picture you think we all might like to see in the threads below!

Charger Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,86777.0.html
Chargers in the background where you least expect them 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,97261.0.html
C500 & Daytonas & Superbirds
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,95432.0.html
Interesting pictures & Stuff 
http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,109484.925.html
Old Dodge dealer photos wanted
 http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,120850.0.html

chargervert

These cars were dirt cheap back in 1980,and numbers weren't a concern to most back then. I bought my 70 Charger R / T SE 440 4 speed car in 1981 for $350.00. Many cars were parted out when a better one came along.  There were no restoration or aftermarket parts, and after the bankruptcy of Chrysler getting NOS parts from the dealer became almost impossible. Most of the parts Chrysler had on the shelves were sold for scrap value.  The only way to put together a Mopar in the rust belt was to part out three or four cars to build one decent one to drive.

Moparpoolman

Quote from: cbrestorations on June 18, 2019, 12:19:12 PM
Well chad, now that the full vin has been found on a transmission a repop vin tag can be made just by having the matching numbers on the body. All you need to do now is get a title in ur name and data tags will make you a vin knowing itsbin your name and you have the correct body....👍
Sounds like if a VIN tag is made, there's a good chance there will be two (2) 69 Chargers with the same VIN number.  That could be a problem ...

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: Moparpoolman on June 18, 2019, 03:32:05 PM
Sounds like if a VIN tag is made, there's a good chance there will be two (2) 69 Chargers with the same VIN number.  That could be a problem ...

For the loser that may have it in use on another body AND for the person that had the counterfeit made.

Chad L. Magee

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 18, 2019, 03:42:07 PM

For the loser that may have it in use on another body AND for the person that had the counterfeit made.

I wanted to clarify that I am not interested in obtaining a "new" VIN tag for the car.  If it is to be returned to the road (unlikely at this point in time), I would go through the proper channels with the state DMV and get a state-issued VIN tag for the car.  Yes, I know that "ruins" the value for it as a collectible car.  I do not intend to sell it, as I could not replace it with an equivalent one unless I spent big bucks anyway.  I have thought about making this one a NASCAR Daytona clone drag car, as it will not hurt the originality since the VIN tag is gone.  It can rust in peace where it is for now.

The only other option that I have is to track down and purchase the car that has the correct VIN tag for my car (very costly to do).  If I could do that, I would go through the legal channels to have it returned to the car via the DMV (a costly, lengthy process).  Since my chances of finding this car are slim, I would say that it is highly unlikely I will have a chance to return it back to what it once was that way....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

Alaskan_TA

When you go through the DMV process for a state issued VIN, the state police may find that other car all on their own.

We can hope.  :cheers:

cbrestorations

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 18, 2019, 03:42:07 PM

Wrong...if you have the correct body it's all legal.

cbrestorations

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 19, 2019, 05:47:44 AM
When you go through the DMV process for a state issued VIN, the state police may find that other car all on their own.

We can hope.  :cheers:

If he was gonna rebody it, I would assume he cut the body numbers out of the car.
I have a 69 r/t triple green stripe delete dana car. Popular combo I guess.
I have 2 cars I had to get repop vins for as they gotnparted out and dashes sold most likely. Both cars still had the fender tag so getting the vins redone was easy. Just had to get titles in my name. $375 and 7 days later the vin showed up all minty ready to be riveted on 😁.

VegasCharger

I see a collision course coming on this thread. lol

:flame: :brickwall: :RantExplode: :slap: :fireangry: :smash: :cussing: :soapbox:

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

odcics2

Quote from: VegasCharger on June 19, 2019, 12:54:53 PM
I see a collision course coming on this thread. lol

:flame: :brickwall: :RantExplode: :slap: :fireangry: :smash: :cussing: :soapbox:

Yup.  Here we go yet again about VINs.....   :yesnod:
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?