News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

18 spline 4 speed xs29 trans found, is this your car?

Started by cbrestorations, June 11, 2019, 08:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alaskan_TA

Quote from: cbrestorations on June 19, 2019, 08:59:34 AMI have 2 cars I had to get repop vins for as they gotnparted out and dashes sold most likely. Both cars still had the fender tag so getting the vins redone was easy. Just had to get titles in my name. $375 and 7 days later the vin showed up all minty ready to be riveted on 😁.

A quote from the article linked below -
QuotePolice also allege that Papadopoulos paid a Colorado man to make a fraudulent VIN tag

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/steal-of-a-lifetime/

I am wondering when the Feds will step in.  :scratchchin:

alfaitalia

Quote from: cbrestorations on June 19, 2019, 07:55:22 AM
Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 18, 2019, 03:42:07 PM
Quote from: Moparpoolman on June 18, 2019, 03:32:05 PM
Quote from: cbrestorations on June 18, 2019, 12:19:12 PM
Well chad, now that the full vin has been found on a transmission a repop vin tag can be made just by having the matching numbers on the body. All you need to do now is get a title in ur name and data tags will make you a vin knowing itsbin your name and you have the correct body....👍
Sounds like if a VIN tag is made, there's a good chance there will be two (2) 69 Chargers with the same VIN number.  That could be a problem ...

For the loser that may have it in use on another body AND for the person that had the counterfeit made.

Wrong...if you have the correct body it's all legal.

...only if you live in that part of America not covered by federal law...which is....oh yes...nowhere. I don't even live in the States and one minute of googling told me it's a crime. Over here you go to prison for it...not sure about over there.

That said I think the last thing this forum needs is ANOTHER VIN plate transfer thread argument. So I'm out!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

Chad L. Magee

When we went to get the 1969 Charger RT shell, the seller showed us a clean title in his name (to prove it was not a stolen car) and the cut out dash part that contained the matching VIN to the car.  (A roughly six inch by six inch section of the upper dash frame was cut out via sawzall by him.  I thought it was a strange way to do it, but hey it was not my car at the time.)  He also took the fender tag to the car.  The seller did not however cut off the body numbers that were stamped on the car.  That is how I was able to figure out the VIN sequence for the car and enter it into the Charger registry.  My friend did get a notarized bill of sale with the purchase, which he still has in his safe.  It was sold as a parts car to help fix up another Charger that might need body parts from it.  

This all happened back when I was much younger and relatively new to the car collecting hobby.  If I ran across one for sale like that now, I would run as far away from it as I could, no matter how cheap the price.  It is really more of a headache to deal with than it is worth.  :Twocents:....
Ph.D. Metallocene Chemist......

cbrestorations

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 19, 2019, 02:02:29 PM
Quote from: cbrestorations on June 19, 2019, 08:59:34 AMI have 2 cars I had to get repop vins for as they gotnparted out and dashes sold most likely. Both cars still had the fender tag so getting the vins redone was easy. Just had to get titles in my name. $375 and 7 days later the vin showed up all minty ready to be riveted on 😁.

A quote from the article linked below -
QuotePolice also allege that Papadopoulos paid a Colorado man to make a fraudulent VIN tag

https://www.hemmings.com/blog/article/steal-of-a-lifetime/

I am wondering when the Feds will step in.  :scratchchin:

You do realize that the article you shared a link to is about someone taking a car, changing a letter in the  vin and then claiming it to be a hemi car...if you think that is the same thing as getting a vin tag reproduced to match the origInal one to the car, that matches the original fender tag, original door sticker and could be matched to the same vin that it had off the accebly line...ur a special kind of stupid 😂.  Or....did you not even read the article you post

Alaskan_TA

Quote: cbrestorations on Today at 04:59:34 AM I have 2 cars I had to get repop vins for as they gotnparted out and dashes sold most likely. Both cars still had the fender tag so getting the vins redone was easy. Just had to get titles in my name. $375 and 7 days later the vin showed up all minty ready to be riveted on 😁.

You obviously think this is OK.

So, lets try this.......

Since you do apparently think it is OK to have VIN tags created, please tell us all who did them for you with photos of the new VIN tags with no details left out?

Pretty please?

cbrestorations

Quote from: alfaitalia on June 19, 2019, 05:06:22 PM
Quote from: cbrestorations on June 19, 2019, 07:55:22 AM
Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 18, 2019, 03:42:07 PM
Quote from: Moparpoolman on June 18, 2019, 03:32:05 PM
Quote from: cbrestorations on June 18, 2019, 12:19:12 PM
Well chad, now that the full vin has been found on a transmission a repop vin tag can be made just by having the matching numbers on the body. All you need to do now is get a title in ur name and data tags will make you a vin knowing itsbin your name and you have the correct body....👍
Sounds like if a VIN tag is made, there's a good chance there will be two (2) 69 Chargers with the same VIN number.  That could be a problem ...

For the loser that may have it in use on another body AND for the person that had the counterfeit made.

Wrong...if you have the correct body it's all legal.

...only if you live in that part of America not covered by federal law...which is....oh yes...nowhere. I don't even live in the States and one minute of googling told me it's a crime. Over here you go to prison for it...not sure about over there.

That said I think the last thing this forum needs is ANOTHER VIN plate transfer thread argument. So I'm out!

Aww I love proving you wrong yet again...I'll make it simple so ur non American eye balls can read it.
The car in question...with just a body number you can't really know what the full vin was and you can't get a tag produced based off assumption. So his car was unregisterable, but being that a piece of evidence popped up (transmission) showing the full vin to that partial on the body now he has proof to provide to any authority showing its authenticity. The vin tampering laws are written to prevent theft vin swapping, not restoration of car. Those laws were written many years ago and it wasn't till the last 20 years the restoration of cars considered junk has taken off. You can go down to your dmv or police station getting the car inspected prior to cutting that sucker up and replacing all the metal showing the need to remove vins and then getting it re-inspected afterwords showing its numbers intact. . Now, yes someone could of stamped a transmission with a hemi letter claiming it belonged to a partial vin body, but there's always a paper trail. Just as the article Alaskan post where a guy changed the vin for financial gain and got busted.. Now I have post a full vin on a transmission that could make this car legit again and roadworthy. I did my part in seeing a car get saved...wether or not chad does that is on him.

I would actually like chad to sell me this car, so I can show all these vin tampering fuckards how to get shit done legally right here on this board 😁

cbrestorations

Quote from: Alaskan_TA on June 19, 2019, 06:18:03 PM
Quote: cbrestorations on Today at 04:59:34 AM I have 2 cars I had to get repop vins for as they gotnparted out and dashes sold most likely. Both cars still had the fender tag so getting the vins redone was easy. Just had to get titles in my name. $375 and 7 days later the vin showed up all minty ready to be riveted on 😁.

So, lets try this.......

Since you do apparently think it is OK to have VIN tags created, please tell us all who did them for you with photos of the new VIN tags with no details left out?

Pretty please?

Datatags made it for me, I had to provide him with a title in my name, body numbers and a piece of evidence showing the full vin (which I had the fender tag to the car with full vin) I'll have to dig those pics up that I had to send to them. Now this is can only be done on a 69 and newer mopar obviously because of body numbers not matching the vin in 68 and older cars. But yeah...I'll gladly share those with you 👍

cbrestorations

There ya go....dumbass, full vin fender tag, title, real original body stamps and the untampered shell. I took this to the dmv, they gave me a title on it and then called datatags showing I own the car and he made me a tag for it. Ohhh the humanity.....how could anyone want to do what I have just done...

cbrestorations

So, lets try this.......

Pretty please?

Let me know when u need to be shut up again...😁
You can now let the world know this car was missing it's vin tag and I went thru the steps to get a reproduction made. Let's see who gives a fying fuck about that...

Moparpoolman

Quote from: cbrestorations on June 19, 2019, 06:47:04 PM

There ya go....dumbass, full vin fender tag, title, real original body stamps and the untampered shell. I took this to the dmv, they gave me a title on it and then called datatags showing I own the car and he made me a tag for it. Ohhh the humanity.....how could anyone want to do what I have just done...
If you live in Nevada and have a Nevada drivers license, why did you get a California Title instead of a Nevada Title, are the laws different in Nevada?

cbrestorations

I have a house in California aswell, at the time I was there a lot. Oh if Alaskan t/a needs proof of my house addresses I can provide that too 😂

cdr

LINK TO MY STORY http://www.onallcylinders.com/2015/11/16/ride-shares-charlie-keel-battles-cancer-ms-to-build-brilliant-1968-dodge-charger/  

68 Charger 512 cid,9.7to1,Hilborn EFI,Home ported 440 source heads,small hyd roller cam,COLD A/C ,,a518 trans,Dana 60 ,4.10 gear,10.93 et,4100lbs on street tires full exhaust daily driver
Charger55 by Charlie Keel, on Flickr

cbrestorations

So, lets try this.......

Pretty please?

Awww what's the matter Alaskan t/a....Uve blocked my messages so I can't even gloat about this. Oh well I'll do it here.... :hah: nanna nanna boo boo I win  :slap:

I have to give a little bit of kiss my American ass to alfaitalia aswell  :D

Kern Dog

THis one seems legit to me.
I cringe though when I hear of dash frames, fender tags and other numbers being removed from one car and transferred to another.

cbrestorations

Quote from: Kern Dog on June 19, 2019, 08:49:17 PM
I cringe though when I hear of dash frames, fender tags and other numbers being removed from one car and transferred to another.

Just trying to show you can still save it aslong as you can prove a full vin

Lennard

Quote from: cbrestorations on June 19, 2019, 08:41:51 PM

So, lets try this.......

Pretty please?

Awww what's the matter Alaskan t/a....Uve blocked my messages so I can't even gloat about this. Oh well I'll do it here.... :hah: nanna nanna boo boo I win  :slap:

I have to give a little bit of kiss my American ass to alfaitalia aswell  :D

:smilielol:

bakerhillpins

I'm probably misunderstanding what you've wrote here but the #s were not removed from one car and transferred to another. He pulled the #s from the body and linked them to the data tag to prove the original VIN of the vehicle. This was done to get new (and correct) VIN tag for that car because it was missing. There wasn't any transfer.
One great wife (Life is good)
14 RAM 1500 5.7 Hemi Crew Cab (crap hauler)
69 Dodge Charger R/T, Q5, C6X, V1X, V88  (Life is WAY better)
96' VFR750 (Sweet)
Capt. Lyme Vol. Fire

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work." -Chuck Close
"The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits." -Albert Einstein
Go that way, really fast. If something gets in your way, turn.
Science flies you to the moon, Religion flies you into buildings.

cbrestorations

Quote from: bakerhillpins on June 20, 2019, 06:54:17 AM

I'm probably misunderstanding what you've wrote here but the #s were not removed from one car and transferred to another. He pulled the #s from the body and linked them to the data tag to prove the original VIN of the vehicle. This was done to get new (and correct) VIN tag for that car because it was missing. There wasn't any transfer.

Exactly....there's just members on here who think even this is a criminal offense.

jefferson

AS much as i love looking at the vins on the chargers i see or look at, who the fuck cares 50 years fucking later. Jesus christ, the vin on my charger could be from another 68 charger and i could fucking care less, its just a god damn number at the end of the day. I srsly cant believe how many people are getting into serious fucking debates about fucking vin numbers blah blah etc. Jesus, when you go out and drive your charger, or work on your charger do you fucking wonder all day if the vin has been swapped or not. The fucking looks, the smell everything about chargers is so damn sexy i dont understand the heated debate about a sequence of letters and numbers on the car. Fuck me dead.

cbrestorations

Quote from: jefferson on June 20, 2019, 09:41:45 AM
AS much as i love looking at the vins on the chargers i see or look at, who the fuck cares 50 years fucking later. Jesus christ, the vin on my charger could be from another 68 charger and i could fucking care less, its just a god damn number at the end of the day. I srsly cant believe how many people are getting into serious fucking debates about fucking vin numbers blah blah etc. Jesus, when you go out and drive your charger, or work on your charger do you fucking wonder all day if the vin has been swapped or not. The fucking looks, the smell everything about chargers is so damn sexy i dont understand the heated debate about a sequence of letters and numbers on the car. Fuck me dead.

:cheers: :yesnod:

jefferson

Quote from: cbrestorations on June 20, 2019, 09:55:02 AM

Chris,, i have a lot of respect for you, and really enjoy your work you do and all the youtube videos.
I mean, if you were building a charger for someone, and had to use the dash pad with the vin attached from a scrap charger to use and put into a brand new spankin charger, at the end of the day once the customer sees this brand new charger, is he going to fucking straight away go up to the vin, fucking look at it all day and scratch his head and saw oh i think this charger is supposed to be xsblah blah 2333 not xsblah blah 311 or fucking whatever, for fuck sakes. NO!

I understand over in the states that vin swapping and what not is illegal or whatever your law is, but here in Australia, as long as we have A vin number on the car we can legally register it. How would you even be able to tell if the vin was from another charger or not, besides the 8/9/0 for the year. But even with the amount of engine swaps over the years it doesnt matter. Im sure people whom have had hemi chargers with J in the vin and have had to replace for whatever reason with a 318 383 400 440 505 etc doesnt matter. All they say is. Yea it came with a hemi from the factory, has a J in the vin. Thats all !
Jesus

jefferson

So please someone tell me, with all the heated debate and energy being consumed in this thread. if someone else with a 68 charger swapped the metal vin on his charger with mine. Why would i lose any sleep at night? Before it was registered of course, but besides for registration reasons.

cbrestorations

Quote from: jefferson on June 20, 2019, 10:11:06 AM
Quote from: cbrestorations on June 20, 2019, 09:55:02 AM

Chris,, i have a lot of respect for you, and really enjoy your work you do and all the youtube videos.
I mean, if you were building a charger for someone, and had to use the dash pad with the vin attached from a scrap charger to use and put into a brand new spankin charger, at the end of the day once the customer sees this brand new charger, is he going to fucking straight away go up to the vin, fucking look at it all day and scratch his head and saw oh i think this charger is supposed to be xsblah blah 2333 not xsblah blah 311 or fucking whatever, for fuck sakes. NO!

I understand over in the states that vin swapping and what not is illegal or whatever your law is, but here in Australia, as long as we have A vin number on the car we can legally register it. How would you even be able to tell if the vin was from another charger or not, besides the 8/9/0 for the year. But even with the amount of engine swaps over the years it doesnt matter. Im sure people whom have had hemi chargers with J in the vin and have had to replace for whatever reason with a 318 383 400 440 505 etc doesnt matter. All they say is. Yea it came with a hemi from the factory, has a J in the vin. Thats all !
Jesus

Well I'm gonna have to disagree with you on swapping vins. That I feel is wrong claiming a certain car is a xs29 when it was really a xp29 318 car

Kern Dog

Quote from: bakerhillpins on June 20, 2019, 06:54:17 AM

I'm probably misunderstanding what you've wrote here

I was referring to two different scenarios. The topic here is different entirely from a situation where a pristine 318 car gets it's numbers cut out and replaced with an R/T VIN, fender tag and stampings. I did not mean to imply that this car had been subject to that, I was making a comparison of two different situations.

VegasCharger

Quote from: odcics2 on June 19, 2019, 01:05:43 PM
Quote from: VegasCharger on June 19, 2019, 12:54:53 PM
I see a collision course coming on this thread. lol

:flame: :brickwall: :RantExplode: :slap: :fireangry: :smash: :cussing: :soapbox:

Yup.  Here we go yet again about VINs.....   :yesnod:

I stand corrected.  :cheers: