News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

EFI Fuel Pump (*Update*):

Started by Captain D, June 12, 2019, 11:59:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain D

Hi all,

We updated to the Fi-Tech EFI and have an upgrade yet to make - converting out the factory / mechanical fuel pump with:

https://www.jegs.com/i/FITech-Fuel-Injection/546/50001/10002/-1

or:

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel_systems/fuel_system_kits/parts/526-4

Any pros, cons, etc.? Thank you for any and all info...

John_Kunkel

Pardon me but my karma just ran over your dogma.

Captain D

Thanks John for the link - interesting! I have the 600HP Fi-Tech EFI unit for my 69' Charger, 383 BB. I'l call this site tomorrow to see which internal pump option would be best based on my purposes. Thanks again...

AZMoparboy

Hi  Captain D.

I have the fi-tech 400 horse system myself on my 383 stock motor. I went with the tanks inc. tank and in tank pump that supports the 400 horse engine. You will need to have a little larger pump than I chose.   Also I see that you were looking at purchasing a pump hose regulator kit. With the fi-tech efi system the fuel  regulator is built right into the unit and you will not need a separate fuel regulator to manage pressure for the system.

I've read all over the enter net that the  electrical fuel pumps that are mounted on the frame of the car have no way of cooling themselves down. I  Live in Arizona where the temperatures can reach well over 100° and that is why I chose to have the fuel system with the fuel pump in the tank.

I have no regrets about buying the fi-tech system with the  tanks Inc. set up.  I have almost 7000 miles in the last
Two years with my system and couldn't be any more pleased with the way it performs

Good Luck,
Azmoparboy

Captain D

Thank you gents for the many replies + sharing your experiences. The consensus seems to be leaning towards the interior pump...

comet_666

There is a all in one kit you can get from tank inc that uses the tank John mentioned, it's like $450.
Only use an in tank pump for EFI

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/tnk-tcr9a-t-kit/overview/year/1969/make/dodge/model/charger

Captain D

Ah, that combo kit sure makes it tempting, lol. And, I agree, for something like this - it doesn't make much sense to use anything else otherwise when making an upgrade. Many 'thank you's' for the folks who chimed in - you guys are the best! The only other accessory that I'll need to get is a block-off plate to mount where the old mechanical / factory fuel pump is currently installed at.

Once I get the new tank, I'll begin saving up for the labor fees seeing how I would imagine that this upgrade may take several hours. Anyhow, thank you again for all of the amazing info!👍

Captain D

...went and did it - bought a new EFI tank kit (part # TCR9A-T-KIT) & the in-tank pump (600HP). It'll be here next week, so hoping for good results...

garner7555

I tried a surge tank first, it lasted 110 miles.   I put the Tanks inc. with in tank pump on it and has been flawless for 500 miles so far.  You can't beat having the pump in the tank.   :Twocents:     :2thumbs:
69 Charger 440 resto-mod

Hemidog

Captain D

Thank you for the link,

By changing to the in-tank pump set-up, its nice that we can do away with the fuel command center altogether.

This link has been helpful in answering a lot questions. It's a shame that all of the mounting hardware used in the description was rather expensive though. Something still to think about still...

Captain D

We're definitely going for the in-tank fuel pump EFI (600HP front to back). I was going to order the fittings, etc. from Summit Racing then seen this:

http://www.tanksinc.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=548/category_id=172/mode=prod/prd548.htm

Granted, it doesn't have a gauge as regulation is built within the Fi-Tech unit itself + ethanol fuel won't break down the life of these fittings (but, I'll more than likely continue to use a fuel stabilizer, such as Star Tron, just to help keep the injectors clean nonetheless). Granted, if I wanted a gauge it can be installed but may not be necessary.

If any technical questions, ask to speak with a gentleman by the name of Paul Jabara - a very knowledgeable team member of the Speed Shop tech support. This site has reasonable prices, as well as excellent customer service. A lot of folks here on this site helped me, so I hope that this info helps others in turn!