News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Ignition no start problem

Started by Rolling_Thunder, June 12, 2019, 06:57:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rolling_Thunder

Pulling my hair out on this one...    I am working on my 73 Challenger and I have a no spark situation.

So - traced down some things so below is what I have

NEW -Year One engine wiring harness
NEW -Factory electronic distributor
NEW -ballast resistor
NEW -Ignition Control Module
NEW -Coil

So...    now that that's out of the way...   

Key on: I have 12v to the coil
           I have 12V to the Ignition module (BL, BK/Y*, and GN/R* wires)

Ballast Resistor is a 0.5 Ohm and 5 Ohm 4 prong and it tests good

I have purchased a second new coil and swapped it in - no difference

I purchased a new distributor and swapped it - no difference

I suspect the Ignition control module - even though it's brand new - I don't see why the black/yellow wire would be showing 12V with the key on - It connects to the negative side of the coil.

So Am I crazy or what?  Is there any way to test the Ignition module or does anyone want to simply say "yeah...   it's fried"?
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

b5blue

My new harness had a loose crimp at the bulkhead. (Found BEFORE install by doing a tug test at every connection.) So inspect all connections. Your seeing the 12V at the coil on both sides by reading 12V through the winding. Test dizzy by removing and hook a meter to the 2 wires, spin the shaft and you should see a pulse from the hall effect. (If no pulse check gap with brass gauge.)  Like always check all grounds like ECU and regulator housings.  :scratchchin:

Rolling_Thunder

Well another problem solved - was the BRAND NEW ignition control module....         So went to autozone and snagged one - now the engine fires up - this was a fresh build so I have to time it and all that crap but big moment since I bought this car in 2014 and it hasn't run before.  :cheers:
1968 Dodge Charger - 6.1L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.55 Sure Grip

2013 Dodge Challenger R/T - 5.7L Hemi / 6-speed / 3.73 Limited Slip

1964 Dodge Polara 500 - 440 / 4-speed / 3.91 Sure Grip

1973 Dodge Challenger Rallye - 340 / A-518 / 3.23 Sure Grip

TexasStroker

Those have been hit and miss for a long time.  At least they are easy to swap.  I've seen a lot of brand new, in-box units be dead on arrival.
Founder, Amarillo Area Mopars
www.amarilloareamopars.com
Founder, Lone Star Mopars
www.lonestarmopars.com
Will set-up a regional Charger meet
Contact me for info!