News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Educate Me on Mowers

Started by RallyeMike, March 29, 2019, 11:53:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RallyeMike

I'm moving out of the woods and onto property with about an acre+ of lawns. It's pretty wide open without the need for a lot of tight manuevering. I'm thinking about a traditional style riding mower with a larger mower deck. Part of the property is hilly but the ground is very even. Is there something I should be looking for in terms of good traction or stability? We get a lot of dew and moisture but I'd still like to mulch to avoid dealing with clippings.

What kind of equipment recommendations can you guys make for this novice grass farmer? I have never had anything more than a basic push-mower before.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1972 Charger, Grand Sport #41
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

J.Bond

Steiner 420, 430, four wheel drive, articulating, front mount mower. A little pricey, but you only get what you pay for!!!!

Mytur Binsdirti

I have 1.2 acres and 11 years ago, I bought a John Deere X304 with a 42" mower deck, bagger & 4 wheel steering (that I bought from a John Deere store). Other than changing a battery filters & blades, I haven't had a bit of trouble with it. The 4 wheel steering is awesome!

alfaitalia

I assumed from your Avatar that you would not need a mower Mytur......what with living in the desert with just sand for a garden!
If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you !!

JB400

birdsandbees

Don't buy a Kubota.. I have a 20HP x 44" Kubota riding mower and my son has an identical size John Deere next door.  They cost basically identical money. In side by side cutting (him on one side and me the other on my 2000' long grass runway) His will cleanly cut grass 30% faster than my Kubota will, with it's stupid counter rotating deck blades.
1970 'Bird RM23UOA170163
1969 'Bee WM21H9A230241
1969 Dart Swinger LM23P9B190885
1967 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S
1966 Plymouth Satellite HP2 - 9941 original miles
1964 Dodge 440 62422504487

RallyeMike

QuoteSteiner 420, 430, four wheel drive

Looks like they don't make these any more?

QuoteJohn Deere X304 with a 42" mower deck, bagger & 4 wheel steering

I was wondering how effective the 4 wheel steering is - I saw it on many models in poking around. Seems like it would work well were the grass edge is curved. Looks good since I want a traditional tractor style mower.

QuoteDon't buy a Kubota.. I have a 20HP x 44" Kubota riding mower and my son has an identical size John Deere next door.  They cost basically identical money. In side by side cutting (him on one side and me the other on my 2000' long grass runway) His will cleanly cut grass 30% faster than my Kubota will, with it's stupid counter rotating deck blades

This is the kind of gold I was digging for. I have no idea about stuff like counter rotating deck blades and production effectiveness/rates.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

Drive as fast as you want to on a public road! Click here for info: http://www.sscc.us/

J.Bond

Steiner became Ventrac, and then, they started back up.

https://www.steinerturf.com/tractors/450-tractor/

You would be better of with a slightly used 430. The prices are crazy, 2000.00 for a deck, which is not that bad. The replacement deck on my Wheel Horse 42 inch, is 2800.00, yup not cheap. The 450 is larger and has not gotten the reviews the 420 and 430's got back in the day. I cut 2 to 3 acres, used to be fun, now it's a chore. Used to  take me 4 to 5 hours to cut, if you didn't have a break down, my 420 knocks it down to 2 and a half hours, time is everything!!!

We have a John Deere D140 and mow aprox 2 - 3 acres and once a year about 10 acres. The D series are said to have weak hydrostatic transmissions but we have not had any issues yet except for the deck idler bearings as they are not serviceable. We have a larger than recommend mower trailer and tow quite of bit of stuff around with it.

I would recommend one with the k66 hydrostatic trans, but so far no issues with our k46.

Kern Dog

Our place is about 1.25 acres, not huge but there is a fair amount of trees and grass to maintain. There is maybe half an acre to mow weekly. I use a self propelled Honda 22" walk behind mower because I am a man.
Any more than this....I'm getting a riding mower!

Birdflu

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 10, 2019, 05:07:58 PM
Our place is about 1.25 acres, not huge but there is a fair amount of trees and grass to maintain. There is maybe half an acre to mow weekly. I use a self propelled Honda 22" walk behind mower because I am a man.

Impressive K.D.!

Kern Dog

Thanks! I used to be able to mow front and back in about an hour and 15. I'm a bit slower than when me moved here in 2004! :eek2:

flyinlow

Kubota BX. sub compact tractor. 8 acres , 4 of them are grass. All hilly. 4 wheel drive when necessary  ,hydrostatic transmission makes it quicker in tight areas and safer for first time tractor operators. Tractor stops moving if you take your foot off the forward or reverse peddle, even on a slope. 60 inch belly mower drives like a riding mover. Power steering. Front end loader can pick up a 440 and load it into a pick up.,. plows dirt  ( one bottom only in Ohio clay), auger drills 8 0r 12 inch holes . Pulls a car trailer or a dead Charger around like a toddler with a pull toy. Pulls neighbors zero turn out of ditch more than once. Diesel does not care if the grass is 8 inches deep, it just will use more fuel. Really handy to have around.

Cost more than a mower , but at 100 hours a year I put on it , my son will wear it out 20 years after I am dead. May not  fill your bill, but I thought I would throw it in . :Twocents:

Hard Charger

we are cutting about 1.5 acres and killed a standard Husqvarna 4 wheel riding mower in 4 years. Just fell apart. Motor was fine but the steering kept braking.

Went with a Gravely zero turn with a 60" deck and cut the time in half. Much better machine.

odcics2

Quote from: Kern Dog on May 10, 2019, 05:07:58 PM

I have 1/2 of an acre and I use a push mower...
But I do have 2 garages. 

Good exercise. 
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Aero426

I cut 3/4 of an acre with a very well used mid-1980's Simplicity 12 horse hydrostatic tractor.   I have a few hundred bucks in it.  It is a robust, simple machine.   A new mower would be nice, but I just can't see spending $3000-$4000-$5000.     Sure , the new one will do it faster.   But all I want it to do is cut grass.    

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on May 27, 2019, 04:32:42 PM

But I do have 2 garages.  

Good exercise.  

I acquired a 1950's Lawn Boy 2-smoke from the estate of the next door neighbor.    Came with the op-manual and receipt.   Purchased in Sept 1955 for $100 (pricey).     The yard is at least half an acre with only a one car garage.   A lot of pushing with a small cut mower.    However, the mower has a cast aluminum deck and is very light.     Styled by Brooks Stevens per the sales brochure.        The fuel tank is spotless and had been drained when it was parked.    I think it will run with a minimum of effort.  

odcics2

Quote from: Aero426 on May 28, 2019, 11:09:34 AM

But I do have 2 garages.  

Good exercise.  

I acquired a 1950's Lawn Boy 2-smoke from the estate of the next door neighbor.    Came with the op-manual and receipt.   Purchased in Sept 1955 for $100 (pricey).     The yard is at least half an acre with only a one car garage.   A lot of pushing with a small cut mower.    However, the mower has a cast aluminum deck and is very light.     Styled by Brooks Stevens per the sales brochure.        The fuel tank is spotless and had been drained when it was parked.    I think it will run with a minimum of effort.  

Looks cool!!
Who made the engine?
I've never owned anything but a MoPar. Can you say that?

Aero426

Quote from: odcics2 on May 30, 2019, 03:12:57 PM
Quote from: Aero426 on May 28, 2019, 11:09:34 AM

But I do have 2 garages.  

Good exercise.  

Looks cool!!
Who made the engine?

Made by OMC.  It is known as a "Brick Top".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-400_engine

Mytur Binsdirti

RallyeMike

QuoteKubota BX. sub compact tractor. 8 acres , 4 of them are grass. All hilly. 4 wheel drive when necessary  ,hydrostatic transmission makes it quicker in tight areas and safer for first time tractor operators. Tractor stops moving if you take your foot off the forward or reverse peddle, even on a slope. 60 inch belly mower drives like a riding mover. Power steering. Front end loader can pick up a 440 and load it into a pick up.,. plows dirt  ( one bottom only in Ohio clay), auger drills 8 0r 12 inch holes . Pulls a car trailer or a dead Charger around like a toddler with a pull toy. Pulls neighbors zero turn out of ditch more than once. Diesel does not care if the grass is 8 inches deep, it just will use more fuel. Really handy to have around.

Cost more than a mower , but at 100 hours a year I put on it , my son will wear it out 20 years after I am dead. May not  fill your bill, but I thought I would throw it in . Twocents

Thanks for this input. I have decided to buy a used riding mower just to get through the summer and then see how things go. I do see good applications for a sub tractor for gravel driveway maintenance, a bunch of stumps to get rid of, general maintenance, etc.  I will probably keep the used riding mower just to keep the sub tractor hours down.

3 cars and half the shop moved so far. Man I have a lot of stuff.... that will be the swap meets next year.
1969 Charger 500 #232008
1973 Charger "T/A"

6PakBee

Whatever you get, get a hydro-static transmission.  I have an el-cheapo MTD and it cuts grass great BUT, if you have to go into reverse from forward or vice versa, the transmission is anything but user friendly.