News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Any ideas for replicating the Dash/Gauge-Bezel "Lettering" on Wood grain dash?

Started by smithenhiven, June 22, 2019, 11:51:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smithenhiven

I would like to redo the simulated wood grain in my 70 Charger.

I don't however want to spend $700 + for a prefab drop-in parts "kit" from say Classic Industries or other source.

I did see that YearOne sells a $110 vinyl overlay kit for the dash (plus $30 for the console).  I may end up going that route if my plan looks like crap.  Does anyone have any experience with those?  Are they decent and do they look good if installed properly?

My thought was, I can get a roll of wood grain vinyl that's very close to the original grain and color, and it's less than $10 for enough to do the whole dash and lower console; all I gotta do is cut it out.  But then my issue will be, I won't have the gauge bezel lettering.

Does anyone have any ideas for replicating the lettering?  I did some searching to see if there was/is a company or source for just these letters, perhaps there's a decal set for just the lettering, but I couldn't find anything.  I was thinking of getting some clear printable decal paper, and testing different font/sizes until I got it right, or close enough.  I guess I should just buy the materials and try it out, if it looks like garbage I'll just rip it out and get the YearOne pre-cut, pre-lettered vinyl sticker kit.   

DAY CLONA

If you want a low dollar approach to making your own letters on your own woodgrain application, dry transfer is about your only choice, it's basically a dry decal letter/number sheet that you "rub/transfer" the desired letter/number off of, the sheet is transparent, the letters/numbers/symbols/etc come in many different sizes/fonts/colors, plus you can have a sheet(s) made in any style of decal/transfer you need.... Letraset is the largest supplier of these, if you have a professional art studio/supply shop in your area they might have them?...otherwise Google is your friend