News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Tv general lee id

Started by c00nhunterjoe, June 27, 2019, 09:06:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c00nhunterjoe

Ive been out of the loop on where the 17 survivors have ended up. Vacationing in Gatlinburg Tennessee and visitied the star cars museum where they have some of the George barris collection on display. Claims to have 1 of the origonal 17 survivors, restored by barris in 96. Crawled all over the car, cant find a wb label anywhere. Is it legit? They said it had a 318 in it when he got it from wb, barris put a 440 in it. Was smashed up, broken frame, collapsed shock towers. Its a factory h code ac car, black interior that is rattle can tan.

c00nhunterjoe

Its also got hand painted lettering, and trailer clearance llights for the fender markers. Compressing the photos from my phone is pretty much ridiculous right now so i cant post them. Here is the website link.
http://starcarstn.com/GeneralLee.html

lukedukem

I went there in 2011. I wasn't aware they claimed it was one of the WB cars. I didn't pay much attention to any signs. The guy who worked there and I were talking and he asked me if I saw the pilot episode. I didn't recall but he told me it was the one with the black car that they bought from a junk yard and it had diamonds in the glove box. I assured him that was the episode called happy birthday general lee and it was a flashback. He argued and I left it at that. I also stoped by cooters and got a pic with his car.

Curious to see if it was or is one of the ones from the show.

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

c00nhunterjoe

The guy there claims they have the paperwork from warner brothers that george barris had when he gave them the car but none of those documents are allowed out for the public. He had alot of knowledge on what condition the car was in and where work was done on it when barris restored it. It sounds like it was a jump car as he saidthe front shocks were blown through the towers and torn off, the rear rails were bent and the 1/4s kinked and it had a 318 in it. But i saw no documents, just the car.
   As far as i know, the one at cooters is a replica. The guy working said he knew nothing about it other then for 5 bucks i could get my picture with it. Lol

lukedukem

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on June 28, 2019, 08:46:53 PM
The guy there claims they have the paperwork from warner brothers that george barris had when he gave them the car but none of those documents are allowed out for the public. He had alot of knowledge on what condition the car was in and where work was done on it when barris restored it. It sounds like it was a jump car as he saidthe front shocks were blown through the towers and torn off, the rear rails were bent and the 1/4s kinked and it had a 318 in it. But i saw no documents, just the car.
   As far as i know, the one at cooters is a replica. The guy working said he knew nothing about it other then for 5 bucks i could get my picture with it. Lol

Yeah I spent the 5 bucks.

That whole place was a blast. Lots of mini golf. Gonna take the kids when they get old enough.

I'll have to see if I have pics of that car. I remember those wax figures too.  Creepy

Luke
1969 Charger XP29F9B226768
1981 CJ7 I6 258ci
2016 F150, 5.0, FX4, CC

MoparMotel

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on June 27, 2019, 09:20:08 PM
Its also got hand painted lettering, and trailer clearance llights for the fender markers. Compressing the photos from my phone is pretty much ridiculous right now so i cant post them. Here is the website link.
http://starcarstn.com/GeneralLee.html

Is it just me or is their something off about the 01 lettering? Looks different than the originals
1968 Dodge Charger

Montclaire

The 01 really reminds me of the "tour cars" that ran the mall circuit in the 80s.  I wouldn't doubt that it what the car really is - WB approved but not a screen car.

c00nhunterjoe

The 01 on the origonal car was crooked. Accidental when they slapped it together. Not sure if this car came that way or if barris opted to do it when he restored it. The flag and lettering are hand painted, not decals. You can even see the brush marks.

mopar0166

I think its bogus.  Not saying im an expert but their is usually clear signs that is was wbs.   

Im sure you can get a good opinion on it at Carlisle.   :cheers:

JT01

c00nhunterjoe

Quote from: JT01 on July 02, 2019, 03:02:25 PM
FAKE

Not doubting as i dont know where the 17 reside today. Is there a running list of the vin numbers of the surviving lees? And can we prove where this car actually came from? I never thought of george barris as a con artist.

JT01

Quote from: c00nhunterjoe on July 03, 2019, 12:42:37 PM
Quote from: JT01 on July 02, 2019, 03:02:25 PM
FAKE

Not doubting as i dont know where the 17 reside today. Is there a running list of the vin numbers of the surviving lees? And can we prove where this car actually came from? I never thought of george barris as a con artist.
I know Barris didnt like the fact that the General lee was and is pretty much is the most famous TV car of all time because he didnt build it. Wayne Wooten has the list of all the 17 he got but that 17 has grown with people claiming to have one now LOL. Theres to many things about this car that makes it fake.