News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Superbird hood extension

Started by Seabeckredneck, July 03, 2019, 09:09:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Seabeckredneck

Now it's time for me to work on the hood of my Superbird project. Does anyone have photos of the bottom side of the hood? I want to make sure I weld the pieces in the correct spot.

Redbird

There is an old DSAC article with input from Jack McGaughey on what the measurements are and where the folds should be made and how tofabricate a hood.

There was also a thread on a site a few years ago on how to make a hood by welding a cut apart front under section back together. This scheme avoids having to separate the top sheetmetal from the under side bracing.

moparstuart

GO SELL CRAZY SOMEWHERE ELSE WE ARE ALL STOCKED UP HERE

Seabeckredneck

Quote from: Redbird on July 03, 2019, 12:56:09 PM
There is an old DSAC article with input from Jack McGaughey on what the measurements are and where the folds should be made and how tofabricate a hood.

There was also a thread on a site a few years ago on how to make a hood by welding a cut apart front under section back together. This scheme avoids having to separate the top sheetmetal from the under side bracing.

Thanks Redbird, I'll look for that.

Birdflu

I'll post up a few pic's...hopefully they'll help! 

Seabeckredneck

Quote from: moparstuart on July 03, 2019, 03:27:56 PM
hope this helps  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,51140.0.html

Thanks Stuart. I just looked at that link and there is some good info there.
 I have metal pieces from Gene Gregory so I want to make sure I do it right the first time! The Coronet hood is now "beakless" along with the front top sheet metal. So first I need to clean up the surface rust, prep and paint the inaccessible frame before I start assembly.
 I'm just a little unsure of cut locations so it's measure twice, cut once, but in my case it's measure twice, or six times then cut...
:scratchchin:

Seabeckredneck

Quote from: Birdflu on July 03, 2019, 04:50:15 PM
I'll post up a few pic's...hopefully they'll help! 

Nice photos Birdflu! They have some great details. Thank you.

May I ask for a couple more when you have time? Please don't go out of your way as I appreciate the ones you sent already.
I would like to see the bottom side of the leading edge and also where the angled part of the bottom where it  rests against the hood frame. (I hope that made sense)

Thanks again!

Birdflu

A couple of the shots above show the angled piece where it attaches to the original hood brace. Here's a few more! Note how few, if any, welds are on the front seam of the hood. It appears the extension panel was just sandwiched into the seam of the front edge of the hood.

Seabeckredneck

Quote from: Birdflu on July 03, 2019, 09:50:19 PM
A couple of the shots above show the angled piece where it attaches to the original hood brace. Here's a few more! Note how few, if any, welds are on the front seam of the hood. It appears the extension panel was just sandwiched into the seam of the front edge of the hood.

Awesome photos! Thank you so much!
This forum has been awesome for finding information.

Seabeckredneck

Thank you Stuart. I'm looking at that now.
  On a side note, I really like the air grabber on your bird!

moparstuart

Quote from: Seabeckredneck on July 04, 2019, 12:41:13 AM

mine is a factory superbird hood that has a huge hole cut in it for a SiX PAK scoop ,  I didnt like it so I fixed it with the Air Grabber section   :icon_smile_big:  should have been a factory option 

moparstuart

Quote from: moparstuart on July 05, 2019, 10:29:54 AM
Quote from: Seabeckredneck on July 04, 2019, 12:41:13 AM
hope this helps  http://www.dodgecharger.com/forum/index.php/topic,51140.0.html

mine is a factory superbird hood that had a huge hole cut in it for a SiX PAK scoop ,  I didnt like it so I fixed it with the Air Grabber section   :icon_smile_big:  should have been a factory option