News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Console resto questions

Started by rikubot, December 27, 2018, 08:01:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rikubot

Hi all I'm about 90% done with my console resto. It's an automatic that was green from the factory and I'm lookin to paint it black. I got all of the black paint from the previous owner off of it and repaired a few little issues. I also did a big patch/reinforcement job on the underside of the back area where a lot of them crack from peoples elbows leaning on them. I used a combo of Dino's ABS slurry method mixed with some sheets of ABS I got off eBay and it seems to be holding strong. My next step was to scrub it down, spray with adhesion promoter, then a couple thin coats of SEM trim black. Couple questions:
Is that trim black going to be the right finish? I used the same stuff for my gauge bezels.

Is spraying it the way to go or should I use dye? Never used dye before and from the top the crack has some fills that could stand a coat of paint to hide my lack of expertise.
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Realized after the first few patches of the y-shaped crack that I should have just patched the surface of the area with two full patches  :brickwall:
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Anyone have any comments on what paint to use for the console? Does everyone just buy the troop that's out there?personally I'd rather rejuvenate the old for 30-40 bucks over the $250+ new one...
'69 Charger, 440/727

Lennard

rikubot

Awesome. Got a fresh unused can. Hope the one can is enough! Thank you
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Got my console sprayed with the SEM trim black. The finish looks great. My crack repair on the back leaves a little to desire cosmetically but the reinforcement is pretty sturdy. I am waiting on the carpet inserts in the mail. Any advice on what adhesive to use for the carpet?
- M
'69 Charger, 440/727

ALBSURE1091

I used contact cement for the carpet inserts on sides. Worked great. The carpet inserts backing has a coating on it so the contact cement won't bleed through. Great job on the console resto!

rikubot

Thanks  :cheers:

I'll probably head to Lowe's later and get some so I can get it glued on. I test fitted it and was wondering if it should hang like this or if it should be trimmed:

@albsure, do you have any pics of your console you could post for reference?
'69 Charger, 440/727

ALBSURE1091

I trimmed right to the edge. Tried to upload pic but keep getting stupid error message that I uploaded it already. Happens time to time with this site

rikubot

Quote from: ALBSURE1091 on April 23, 2019, 07:45:28 AM
I trimmed right to the edge. Tried to upload pic but keep getting stupid error message that I uploaded it already. Happens time to time with this site

I appreciate it. I get that error all the time too. Or, "file is too large"
'69 Charger, 440/727

rikubot

Little update:

Got the console finished and built a little stand for it since it could be eons before the car is ready for it.

'69 Charger, 440/727

BrugeeRT

What did you do to shine up the chrome?  I have the same crack on mine   :-\
Mark

rikubot

I got REALLY lucky and the chrome and stainless are both in great shape. All I had to do was clean them. They do have some scratches on them but are definitely good driver quality. Also, these pics did a good job of hiding the flaws. What kind of shape are yours in?
'69 Charger, 440/727

BrugeeRT

I have the type that is all chrome on top.  The edges are ok but I have to figure something out for the top.  The light bezels have a little pitting.  I have played around with some ideas on how to fix my crack.
Mark

rikubot

I used to have a part of the '68 bezel. It had some good pitting in it and I didn't know what to do about it. I ended up selling it to a dude in CA. I'm sure he figured something out. You could find the aluminum the wood grain mounts to and put that over the chrome lines area?
'69 Charger, 440/727