News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Mopar Purple Shaft Lifters

Started by John Milner, July 14, 2019, 07:09:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Milner

I just recently flattened my new cam in my 440 so I'm cleaning the engine and swapping camshafts. I have a "Purple Shaft" cam that I bought back around 2000. The markings on the cam are "856440". I believe the lift and duration numbers are 228 241 .450 .458. I don't have lifters for this camshaft. Will any hydraulic lifter work with this cam? I thought I had heard at one time that the Purple shafts took a different lifter. Any help would be appreciated.

A383Wing

stock hydraulic lifter will work just fine.....I had a "purple shaft" in my car back in the 80's......took it back out after about 4 months of driving.....not enough vacuum to operate the power brakes....and the engine didn't come alive until after 3,000 RPM.....I didn't like it for a street driven daily driver

Bryan

Ghoste

Sorry to hear that new cam let you down, I agree with Bryan on the lifters and the Purple Shaft on the street. 

b5blue

The Six Pack cam only has a lower slope per the Mopar Big Block book. (Hence specific lifters.) PS I believe there is a "sticky" regarding where to get real deal made in USA Johnson lifters.  :2thumbs:

John Milner

I am not sure if this is a six pack camshaft or not. That is great information though.  I remembered something being different either about the cam or lifters. I just can't remember if it applied to this particular camshaft.  It sounds like regular lifters will be fine for my application.  I bought the cam years ago and ended up going a different route.  

I am hoping the cam (Mopar Performance Purple Shaft  228 241 .450 .458. 115) will work fine in my combination.  

My combination is:

440 bored .040 with Speed Pro six pack pistons
906 heads with 2.14 1.81 valves, port work with unknown flow numbers, Comp springs with 120lbs seat pressure
CH4B intake with 800 Edelbrock
Factory HP manifolds with 2 1/2 exhaust
3:90 sure grip with a 4 speed

I really just want a good sounding engine that will build a lot or torque.  I don't think I will ever run it down a 1/4 mile track.  I just don't want it to be a slouch on the street.

b5blue

Don't flog yourself too much! Find that sticky and use the good lifters, be certain you get push rod length correct!  :2thumbs: I used the Mopar Road Runner cam and like it. (Old school.) 

Brass

Quote from: John Milner on July 15, 2019, 11:06:53 AM
I am not sure if this is a six pack camshaft or not. That is great information though.  I remembered something being different either about the cam or lifters. I just can't remember if it applied to this particular camshaft.  It sounds like regular lifters will be fine for my application.  I bought the cam years ago and ended up going a different route.  

I am hoping the cam (Mopar Performance Purple Shaft  228 241 .450 .458. 115) will work fine in my combination.  

My combination is:

440 bored .040 with Speed Pro six pack pistons
906 heads with 2.14 1.81 valves, port work with unknown flow numbers, Comp springs with 120lbs seat pressure
CH4B intake with 800 Edelbrock
Factory HP manifolds with 2 1/2 exhaust
3:90 sure grip with a 4 speed

I really just want a good sounding engine that will build a lot or torque.  I don't think I will ever run it down a 1/4 mile track.  I just don't want it to be a slouch on the street.

The Crower 282HDP (PN 32243) might be a good match for that combo, but you already have the MP Purple Shaft.

John Milner

I'm not opposed to buying a new cam. After more research on the camshaft that I have, I'm not sure if the duration @50 numbers that are advertised with this particular cam are accurate.  I will look into that crower cam.

justcruisin

If you are using manifolds you will want to keep the LSA a bit wider, maybe not 115 but not 110 like most shelve street cams either. If I was you I would be giving Dwayne Porter a call and getting a cam from him. I also think the Crower 282 listed by Brass would work.

BSB67

Quote from: John Milner on July 16, 2019, 02:57:21 PM
.......After more research on the camshaft that I have, I'm not sure if the duration @50 numbers that are advertised with this particular cam are accurate. .

They're not.

I like the Crower 271.

500" NA, Eddy head, pump gas, exhaust manifold with 2 1/2 exhaust with tailpipes
4150 lbs with driver, 3.23 gear, stock converter
11.68 @ 120.2 mph