News:

It appears that the upgrade forces a login and many, many of you have forgotten your passwords and didn't set up any reminders. Contact me directly through helpmelogin@dodgecharger.com and I'll help sort it out.

Main Menu

Is Gateway classic cars the new way to sell ?

Started by ACUDANUT, July 17, 2019, 05:14:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACUDANUT

We have a new store in the KC area.  I wonder what their commission is. ?
Anyone used them to sell a car ?

Aero426

Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 17, 2019, 05:14:26 PM
We have a new store in the KC area.  I wonder what their commission is. ?

It seems to be just another used car operation.      Minimum 12.5% commission or $2500.     However, it is said that they will grind you just like any other salesman to lower the number you will accept as your net proceeds, while trying to get the max from the buyer.    The house is neither in favor of the buyer or seller.

The only reason to sell though a place like this is if you have a car to sell  that you don't want to deal with buyers or perhaps you have cars from an estate to sell.

Some tasty bits here.  

http://www.gatewayclassiccars.info/the-consignment-process/

Ghoste

Kind of like an auction that takes a long time to complete.

Aero426

Quote from: Ghoste on July 18, 2019, 05:13:50 AM
Kind of like an auction that takes a long time to complete.

Given the fees involved, that would seem to be an astute observation.

gtx6970

They have a car that I've expressed interest in.
A nice looking 1967 GTX . BUT the car was a little more then Im willing to pay for a 440 car.
Its been listed over and over on Ebay for the past 3 or 4 months with no sale. Highest bid its ever received was mid to upper 20s. They were asking mid 30s with a buy it now for the longest time.
The car is now priced at $40k.  STILL a no sale. Go figure

If they would price it reasonable, I might bite. ( i am thinking low 30s is about right )
By shear chance anyone happen to know the cars owner. If so have him PM me

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1967-Plymouth-GTX/163781354176?hash=item26222122c0:g:wxoAAOSwoIFdL5VV

Mike DC

Classic car dealerships are overpriced because they sell convenience. 

Buying from a dealership means the car definitely exists.  Its paperwork is legit (say what you want about VIN cloning but at least the car is not literally stolen).  It is probably not too much worse than the condition being claimed.   

That "little stuff" is worth thousands of dollars to some buyers.  Especially those who live overseas.   

Challenger340

Quote from: Mike DC (formerly miked) on July 19, 2019, 12:25:16 AM

Classic car dealerships are overpriced because they sell convenience. 

Buying from a dealership means the car definitely exists.  Its paperwork is legit (say what you want about VIN cloning but at least the car is not literally stolen).  It is probably not too much worse than the condition being claimed.   

That "little stuff" is worth thousands of dollars to some buyers.  Especially those who live overseas.   

Yeah I guess for the overseas buyers there is a certain amount of patent legitimacy with a classic car dealership ? I never really gave it much thought, but makes sense.
That said,
I guess we on-shore people who would rather go look, kick tires, and do whatever floats our boat, we just still tend to see it as gouging though ? usually because we already OWN better but would probably never realize as much in a sale devoid of the presentation fluff ?
Only wimps wear Bowties !

taxspeaker

I travel for a living so I have used them twice just for the ease of selling. They do charge a good fee, but they have access to a worldwide market. They did beat on me for both cars on the price I wanted.

1st Car sold was my numbers matching restored AAR Cuda. I got about $5,000 less than I wanted, but sold it in about 3 weeks. Strangely, being numbers matching and totally restored whoever the buyer was has never contacted me about provenance-who is buying these cars?

2nd car sold was a 65 Barracuda. I went through it top to bottom, painted it, new electronics, interior, 273 4 barrel with a/c that I rebuilt thinking for my granddaughter. Safety reasons if she was in a wreck changed my mind and I listed it through them too, figuring a tough sell. They sold it in 3 weeks, beat me down about $2500.

My bottom line is I would use them again for the convenience and the worldwide market
Bob

chargervert

Judging by the prices they ask,they should change their name to Gateway drug users!

XS29L9Bxxxxxx

Quote from: Aero426 on July 17, 2019, 06:34:58 PM
Quote from: ACUDANUT on July 17, 2019, 05:14:26 PM
We have a new store in the KC area.  I wonder what their commission is. ?

It seems to be just another used car operation.      Minimum 12.5% commission or $2500.     However, it is said that they will grind you just like any other salesman to lower the number you will accept as your net proceeds, while trying to get the max from the buyer.    The house is neither in favor of the buyer or seller.

The only reason to sell though a place like this is if you have a car to sell  that you don't want to deal with buyers or perhaps you have cars from an estate to sell.

+1

That's how they work, and if you can write a good ad, you'll do better than they can. IDK if they can "provide" financing to buyers. Send your prospects to JJ Best, etc., and then have them pay you. Not like Gateway fronts the cash.

ACUDANUT

Ghoste

Do Gateway not also put you into some kind of contract granting them exclusive selling rights?

gtx6970

Quote from: Ghoste on August 20, 2019, 05:15:07 AM
Do Gateway not also put you into some kind of contract granting them exclusive selling rights?

I believe so, I think its with them for 90 days